• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I want to buy a ticket for someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
I want to buy a ticket for someone to get from Manchester Picc to Sheffield tomorrow, returning Wednesday.

Neither East Midlands or TPE offer an "e-ticket" option so how can I buy this person a ticket the easiest way?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
You mean you want to pay for it? In that case can you buy them an eVoucher here: http://tickets.eastcoast.co.uk/ec/en/Landing/PurchaseGiftVoucher and then ask them to book it using that eVoucher? (or you can book it, and you can simply give them the TOD collection code)

They can use any credit/debit card and enter the TOD collection code to collect the tickets and it will of course not charge their card.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
This of course supposes that the person has some sort of access to some sort of payment card which the railway accepts :)
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
You mean you want to pay for it? In that case can you buy them an eVoucher here: http://tickets.eastcoast.co.uk/ec/en/Landing/PurchaseGiftVoucher and then ask them to book it using that eVoucher? (or you can book it, and you can simply give them the TOD collection code)

They can use any credit/debit card and enter the TOD collection code to collect the tickets and it will of course not charge their card.

Bare in mind that's only true when you pay using eVouchers.
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
You mean you want to pay for it? In that case can you buy them an eVoucher here: http://tickets.eastcoast.co.uk/ec/en/Landing/PurchaseGiftVoucher and then ask them to book it using that eVoucher? (or you can book it, and you can simply give them the TOD collection code)

They can use any credit/debit card and enter the TOD collection code to collect the tickets and it will of course not charge their card.

They can use any card? All of the TOC sites go to great pains to say you have to use the card you paid with and you wont get them otherwise. Is this a little white lie? :D
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
Ah right I see. So I would have to use the East Coast site to buy a £13 E-voucher and then book the tickets? Same price as on the TPE site (given they all use the same system) so matters not I guess.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
They can use any card? All of the TOC sites go to great pains to say you have to use the card you paid with and you wont get them otherwise. Is this a little white lie? :D
But if you follow my suggestion you will not be paying by card. You will be paying with eVouchers. Therefore, you* can use any card to collect.

(* or anyone else you give the collection code to!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah right I see. So I would have to use the East Coast site to buy a £13 E-voucher and then book the tickets? Same price as on the TPE site (given they all use the same system) so matters not I guess.
Yes that is right.

(The only way the price would be different is if they were using a 16-25 Railcard to buy an Advance in which case it would be 50% off on the TPE Student Promo compared to only 34% off on the EC site)
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
TPE offer print@home which does fit some definitions of electronic ticketing.

I wasnt given this option when trying last night on their site, this is probbaly because both legs of the journey dont use their trains though :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyway, all sorted through the East Coast site, I never knew the E-voucher option existed so many thanks to all.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I wasnt given this option when trying last night on their site, this is probbaly because both legs of the journey dont use their trains though :D

Anyway, all sorted through the East Coast site, I never knew the E-voucher option existed so many thanks to all.

On checking it looks like they only offer print@home for Airport tickets.
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
You would think more TOC's would offer this service, I cant be the only person trying to buy tickets for someone at short notice who is in a different town to me!
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
You would think more TOC's would offer this service, I cant be the only person trying to buy tickets for someone at short notice who is in a different town to me!

There is an emergency service where someone stranded can be bought a ticket remotely (SILK) but there is a charge for this (£10 last time I heard) and only Anytime single tickets can be bought.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
And in general the traveller and the person paying need to be at a staffed station at the same time.
 

barrykas

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2006
Messages
1,579
There is an emergency service where someone stranded can be bought a ticket remotely (SILK) but there is a charge for this (£10 last time I heard) and only Anytime single tickets can be bought.

Yup. Very expensive way of buying a ticket for someone else! £52, £71 or £89 for London - Birmingham, for example, depending on which option you go for!

And now preferred to be issued as a ToD so as to avoid the need to send a Transfer Voucher.
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
There is an emergency service where someone stranded can be bought a ticket remotely (SILK) but there is a charge for this (£10 last time I heard) and only Anytime single tickets can be bought.

True, although I was referring more for a passenger to be able to print an email/e-ticket off on the same day or the day before travel in a different city from where the tickets were bought, unless you are travelling with Virgin or Cross Country I believe this isnt widely available (the TPE airport route being an exception)
 
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
989
Location
Blackpool south Shore
I had that problem a year ago - landed up paying the money into my son's account, so he could buy the ticket online etc with his card the other end of the country. With online banking I suppose that would have been easier.
E Vouchers are a good idea.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top