• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I tried to Run A Railway - bibliography

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
I Tried To Run A Railway by G F Fiennes
published by Ian Allen1967 revised 1973 priced £1.10


Mentioned by another poster I finally had my local library get me the copy from Lincolnshire.
Excellent illustrated reading of progress - steam through diesel to electrification - from the management perspective with the author having contact with Dr Beeching, who's intellect impressed him, as he progressed through the grades to become Chairman and General Manager of the Eastern Region.


The book makes interesting reading with little anecdotes and covers
the death of marshalling yards, why certain lines went or were singled.
The branding of Intercity
The introduction of Merry-go-round & Liner trains.

An eye opener as to why decisions are made or were not made recounted by Gerard Fiennes from when he joined in 1928 until he was asked to leave by the BRB which he felt at the end were too involved in managing and re-organising so that not enough time was given to actually running a service . . ..

“Our duty as railwaymen is to -'provide railway services having due regard for safety, efficiency and economy' and to ' break even financially taking one year with another'. This is the law.” - page 135

Now the mantra of the franchisees is not to break even but to make a profit - having regard for the subsidies the railway services receive:(.
Fortunately safety remains the number one priority if, to my mind, over egged on occasion.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,404
Location
Yorks
I must admit, I‘m surprised it‘s not been reissued as a paperback. There don‘t seem to be many books about running the railway in the political and economic context in the shops, which is a shame. They have books detailing the various types of railway wagon for God‘s sake, surely "I tried to run a railway" can't be any more niche than that ! (not read it yet myself but would like to
!).
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Speaking of railway books now out of print, I have recently acquired a few volumes of the "Regional History of Railways of Great Britain" series last revised, I believe, in the late eighties. Quite a lot has happened since, much of it reversing the trend of decline noted in the last chapters of most of the volumes. I don't imagine a revised edition of the series is likely in the current climate, but it would be interesting.
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,719

There is a copy on ebay at present for £27.50 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...w=i+tried+to+run+a+railway&_sacat=0&_from=R40

a great read - I tracked down a secondhand copy many years ago for far less -I was intrigued about the electification of the Southend Victoria line where BR was concerned how long it was taking so closed the line expect in the peaks to speed up works - an interesting variation on today's approach.
 

David Barrett

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2013
Messages
554
I must admit, I‘m surprised it‘s not been reissued as a paperback.

It was, I bought mine from a sale at the bookstall on Doncaster Station for fifty pence in 1973. I still read it now and again.

Another essential tome on the economic and political doctrine of the era, published in 1972 or '73 if I remember correctly, is "The Train That Ran Away" by Stewart Joy. Whether you agree with the message or not it is a good insight into the influences that shaped the railway of the time.
 
Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,404
Location
Yorks
Another essential tome on the economic and political doctrine of the era, published in 1972 or '73 if I remember correctly, is "The Train That Ran Away" by Stewart Joy. Whether you agree with the message or not it is a good insight into the influences that shaped the railway of the time.

I've not heard of that one before. I'll keep an eye out for it.
 

David Barrett

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2013
Messages
554
I've not heard of that one before. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I did notice one on Ebay a few days ago. I'm not sure but I don't think that there was ever a second edition or reprint of this one and although it was published in both hardback and paperback form I have never come across one of the former.
 
Last edited:

jnty

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
33
Just finished I Tried To Run a Railway on the recommendation of this thread - great book, thanks. I'm starting The Train that Ran Away now - obviously a very different type of book, much more academic than the personal chatty tone of the former, but still looks to be very illuminating.

I don't know whether people know this or not, but the writer of I Tried, G F Fiennes, wrote another book after he'd been asked to leave BR, Fiennes on Rails, which apparently has the same chatty tone and many more of his entertaining and interesting stories. You can get it used online for much less than the first book and I've got it on order - can't wait.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Just finished I Tried To Run a Railway on the recommendation of this thread - great book, thanks. I'm starting The Train that Ran Away now - obviously a very different type of book, much more academic than the personal chatty tone of the former, but still looks to be very illuminating.

I don't know whether people know this or not, but the writer of I Tried, G F Fiennes, wrote another book after he'd been asked to leave BR, Fiennes on Rails, which apparently has the same chatty tone and many more of his entertaining and interesting stories. You can get it used online for much less than the first book and I've got it on order - can't wait.

I obtained my copy of "Fiennes on Rails" from Amazon a year or so ago, and although it is not as as critical as his first book, it's an excellent read and one which I treasure.

I hope you enjoy yours when it arrives!
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
Just finished I Tried To Run a Railway on the recommendation of this thread - great book, thanks.

I don't know whether people know this or not, but the writer of I Tried, G F Fiennes, wrote another book after he'd been asked to leave BR, Fiennes on Rails, which apparently has the same chatty tone and many more of his entertaining and interesting stories. You can get it used online for much less than the first book and I've got it on order - can't wait.

Thanks for teh tip I have just requested it from my library and it should be with me within a week.

Excellent value @ a 40p reservation fee.:)

I will let you know what I think.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
These look like some interesting titles - I think thats my holiday reading lined up!

I have listed them in our Amazon store too, although you may wish to search the full Amazon via the "Powered by Amazon" link in the top right as there are a few separate listings for each title (or of course follow that link if you want to buy anything else Amazon sell).

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rafo04-21
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
Fiennes on Rails by Gerard Fiennes
Published by David & Charles 1983 £9.95


I might have enjoyed it more if I had not read his earlier book as it repeats, in some more depth, anecdotes from his earlier book.

Fiennes on Rails covers events at Liverpool Street and to the east from 1935 to 1953 or thereabout but for me more interesting were the small glimpses into Great Western and Paddington.

It is interesting but to my mind I Tried To Run A Railway was more insightful into the running and behind the scene actions and a better, more interesting, read.

Drivers would no doubt like and support his view on P175 that
" . . . The driver on the day contributes far than all the other grading of railwaymen put together."
".. . how should BR cherish him..for the years to come .... should be financial . . not three percent but between ten and twenty per cent...."
"Should be members of an elite union - ASLEF"

Of course all that was back in 1982:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top