• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I need help to challenge a fine I got for boarding the incorrect train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2024
Messages
6
View attachment 164946


View attachment 164947


I started my trip at Walthamstow planning to go to Finsbury Park. I checked Google, which told me to go to platform 7 to catch a train heading to Cambridge. I didn't know that there are two trains that go to Cambridge; you can use an Oyster card on one, but not on the other., I got on the wrong train and had to get off at the next stop, which turned out to be Stevenage. I told the ticket inspector what happened, but they still gave me a penalty notice. I think this isn't fair, since I didn't know what was going on.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,684
Location
LBK
Do you have any specific grounds on which you think your appeal should be considered beyond “it isn’t fair”? This isn’t grounds to appeal, but if you tell us in what specific way you feel it is unfair we may be able to help. Please also upload a copy of the notice, because while it seems on the face of it that your penalty fare was correctly and legitimately issued, there may be technical grounds for appeal based on the notice you received and how it was filled out. Please obscure your details from the notice.
 

Anthony024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2024
Messages
6
I needed to send the original notice with my first appeal so this only letter I have. At Finsbury Park station, on platform 7, you'll find two trains heading to Cambridge—one lets you use an Oyster card, while the other doesn't. To be frank, I think they should have given me a one-way ticket instead of slapping me with a penalty notice.
 

alholmes

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
477
Location
London E3
Your first post makes no sense. You state you were travelling from Walthamstow to Finsbury Park - which is a simple journey on the Victoria line.

So why were you on platform 7 at Finsbury Park, getting on trains towards Cambridge? What was your ultimate destination?
 

Anthony024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Your first post makes no sense. You state you were travelling from Walthamstow to Finsbury Park - which is a simple journey on the Victoria line.

So why were you on platform 7 at Finsbury Park, getting on trains towards Cambridge? What was your ultimate destination?
Potters bar is my final destination.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,174
Location
Wilmslow
Potters bar is my final destination.
So you were intending to travel to Potters Bar using the slow train to Cambridge, using Oyster, but you mistakenly boarded the faster service to Cambridge, first stop Stevenage, which is outside the Oyster zone, and were given a Penalty Fare.
Whilst discretion could have been shown, and I have known it to be done for much greater distances for catching the wrong train, it’s not required and I suspect that since you were technically guilty of travelling on a train without a valid ticket it’s going to be least worst to pay the reduced £50 penalty fare and be done with it.
 

Anthony024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2024
Messages
6
So you were intending to travel to Potters Bar using the slow train to Cambridge, using Oyster, but you mistakenly boarded the faster service to Cambridge, first stop Stevenage, which is outside the Oyster zone, and were given a Penalty Fare.
Whilst discretion could have been shown, and I have known it to be done for much greater distances for catching the wrong train, it’s not required and I suspect that since you were technically guilty of travelling on a train without a valid ticket it’s going to be least worst to pay the reduced £50 penalty fare and be done with it.
So, there no grounds of appeal?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,684
Location
LBK
so this only letter I have. At Finsbury Park station, on platform 7, you'll find two trains heading to Cambridge—one lets you use an Oyster card, while the other doesn't. To be frank, I think they should have given me a one-way ticket instead of slapping me with a penalty notice.
I know it is not what you want to hear, but "that's well harsh" isn't grounds for appeal. The law specifically authorises companies to charge Penalty Fares where you are caught without a valid ticket. There are protections in place about when and how penalty fares can be charged, which often work in the passenger's favour - around minutiae surrounding the exact fare charged, the quality of wording on the notice, and various other factors, but as you suggest your appeal appears not to state any of the qualifying grounds it is not surprising it has been rebutted.
 

Anthony024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2024
Messages
6
I know it is not what you want to hear, but "that's well harsh" isn't grounds for appeal. The law specifically authorises companies to charge Penalty Fares where you are caught without a valid ticket. There are protections in place about when and how penalty fares can be charged, which often work in the passenger's favour - around minutiae surrounding the exact fare charged, the quality of wording on the notice, and various other factors, but as you suggest your appeal appears not to state any of the qualifying grounds it is not surprising it has been rebutted.
What would be your suggestion in moving forward?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,684
Location
LBK
What would be your suggestion in moving forward?
Well, normally we would ask to see the notice, but you say you sent this off with your first appeal (you didn't need to do this - appeals can be done online, or even by post they only need the reference number). If you have no grounds of appeal the notice should be paid promptly to secure the 50% discount.
 

Anthony024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Well, normally we would ask to see the notice, but you say you sent this off with your first appeal (you didn't need to do this - appeals can be done online, or even by post they only need the reference number). If you have no grounds of appeal the notice should be paid promptly to secure the 50% discount.
I was unable to make an appeal online. That the reason I done it by post.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,137
So your mistake was relying on the final destination of a train, rather than checking that it stopped at the station you were going to.

I think it unlikely that an appeal will succeed, and you are best chalking this one up to experience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top