• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I messed up and I don't know what to do

linam

New Member
Joined
9 Jul 2026
Messages
1
Location
Slough
I was on the train and I got stopped by a GWR ticket inspector. I had a ticket but using a 16-17 Railcard which I don't have. I panicked and gave him incorrect details and told him didn't have my Railcard on my and received a penalty fare.
I'm really worried about what this means as I can't afford these trains tickets, which I bought off trainline Because I haven't been able to afford it I used the 16-17 saver and unfortunately, despite knowing this is incredibly dumb, I had used this previously on several occasions.
I have no stable income and can't afford if they made me pay all of these tickets.

What should I do for the best possible outcome? I cannot go to court and risk having a criminal record but I also can't afford this.

Any help would be create please.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,334
I was on the train and I got stopped by a GWR ticket inspector. I had a ticket but using a 16-17 Railcard which I don't have. I panicked and gave him incorrect details and told him didn't have my Railcard on my and received a penalty fare.
I'm really worried about what this means as I can't afford these trains tickets, which I bought off trainline Because I haven't been able to afford it I used the 16-17 saver and unfortunately, despite knowing this is incredibly dumb, I had used this previously on several occasions.
I have no stable income and can't afford if they made me pay all of these tickets.

What should I do for the best possible outcome? I cannot go to court and risk having a criminal record but I also can't afford this.

Any help would be create please.
EDIT - below was posted before it was drawn to attention that this involves a Penalty Fare - in which case it's a simpler matter to deal with and I would advise paying it promptly to take advantage of the £50 prompt payment discount - see posts below

welcome

can you enlarge on the nature of the incorrect details you gave? This is a key problem for you because actually co-operating with them - they would contact you subsequently about this - is the route to avoiding this going to court - but you can't co-operate if they don't have your address.

So what did you give them?

False name? (totally false or part correct?
False address? (completely made up?)
Former address but one when you actually lived in the past?

Were you given any paperwork with a ref number on it? If so it would be possible for you to write to them and give them your correct details (giving false details is a separate offence but we don't usually see people being prosecuted for it).

If they want to they can get info off the scan of the ticket you had (via the bank account used to pay for it) - but by the time they bother to do that it might already have gone to court - which is precisely what you want to avoid happening.

If you are finding it difficult to afford train fares then is there a railcard you ae actually entitled to that would reduce fares? Eg a Network Card is available to people of any age or otherwise a Railcard for people aged up to 30


As I see it there are probably 3 options

1) hope they can't find you and this never catches up with you

2) contact them to give your correct details and engage with them to obtain an out of court settlement (a sum they will request you to pay in order not to take you to court - that sum will be made up of the fares you have evaded plus an 'admin fee' of c£150 - there would be no criminal record

3) do nothing and they do catch up with you and take you to court for fare evasion - which results in a fine from the court (punishment for the offence) costs and also a criminal record

People here would give you advice about the pros and cons and risks of each of these and what to do in practical terms to deal with it - but the one usually advised on here is to try to do option 2
 
Last edited:

JBuchananGB

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2017
Messages
1,405
Location
Southport
If the OP was issued with a Penalty Fare, the easiest thing to do s pay it, and the case will be closed.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,304
If the OP was issued with a Penalty Fare, the easiest thing to do s pay it, and the case will be closed.
That's good general advice, but seems the OP may not have the readily available funds to pay up. @linam. Can you post a copy of the Penalty Fare document (with any personal/ID details covered up) to see if it's been properly issued. Also, just how old are you?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,334
If the OP was issued with a Penalty Fare, the easiest thing to do s pay it, and the case will be closed.
Thanks - my apols - I did not notice a Penalty Fare had been issued - I agree - best thing to do is just pay it if at all possible. Even if that mans borrowing the money from a friend or family member to do that in order to close down other investigations associated with the OP's history of fare evasion with the use of that Railcard - which can be easily investigated if tickets are bought on line via any retailer
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,329
I was on the train and I got stopped by a GWR ticket inspector. I had a ticket but using a 16-17 Railcard which I don't have. I panicked and gave him incorrect details and told him didn't have my Railcard on my and received a penalty fare.
I'm really worried about what this means as I can't afford these trains tickets, which I bought off trainline Because I haven't been able to afford it I used the 16-17 saver and unfortunately, despite knowing this is incredibly dumb, I had used this previously on several occasions.
I have no stable income and can't afford if they made me pay all of these tickets.

What should I do for the best possible outcome? I cannot go to court and risk having a criminal record but I also can't afford this.

Any help would be create please.

I've bolded the two really important points. As people have already said, if you pay a penalty fare, that will be the end of the matter. Often, our advice here is to contest the detail of the penalty fare - but from the other bolded point, you have already told us that you gave false details. If you challenge the penalty fare, you will have to admit to that - andthat will cause further trouble.

So somehow, find the money to pay the penalty fare. If you can do it quickly, that will reduce the penalty from £100 to £50 (although you still have to pay the price of the ticket bit).

And the best way to save money on train fares is to buy the right ticket before you get on board. That way, you don't risk having to pay a large penalty fare and won't be taken to court either.
 

Top