I went from London Euston to Coventry on the 25th August 2025, and I paid for the ticket, but with the wrong railcard. I used the 16-17 railcard savers instead of the 16-25 railcard savers.
I have never done this before, and the difference in price in the ticket for using the correct railcard would have been 7 pounds.
My ticket was checked by the inspector on the LNWR train, and he said that I would only have to pay the remaining amount from how much I had already paid, which was 5.50 pounds.
But I checked on the appealservice website, and it is telling me I have to pay 20.90 + 50 pounds for the penalty.
I appealed that I was charged incorrectly because that was not what the inspector told me.
What happens now, as this was a genuine mistake.
What happens if I don't pay the penalty?
Will I be charged 70.90 pounds, or can I just pay the remainder because I did have a valid ticket?
I have never done this before, and the difference in price in the ticket for using the correct railcard would have been 7 pounds.
My ticket was checked by the inspector on the LNWR train, and he said that I would only have to pay the remaining amount from how much I had already paid, which was 5.50 pounds.
But I checked on the appealservice website, and it is telling me I have to pay 20.90 + 50 pounds for the penalty.
I appealed that I was charged incorrectly because that was not what the inspector told me.
What happens now, as this was a genuine mistake.
What happens if I don't pay the penalty?
Will I be charged 70.90 pounds, or can I just pay the remainder because I did have a valid ticket?