So the question has been asked. "Would I wear a camera and audible device" Let me tell you, Northern are considering these ideas, and I think as their subsidies go down and they have to protect their revenue more robustly, it is a very distinct possibility it will come.
I have no issue with it. But we have to remember audible devices don't just pick up one voice. It is very tempting for a guard in a argument to be (shall we say) less than diplomatic. I have said things in the heat of the moment I deeply regretted after, but we are all human.
Such devices can be a double edged sword, and that is something to consider.
People need to understand the bigger picture about issues like fare dodging. As annoying as it is, TOC's don't want us delaying a train at a cost of about £62 a minute for a £1.20 fare. It does not make business sense to them, and at a time where DCO and all the thrills that come with that come along, it is a problem that will just get worse.
As a guard, I will hold a train for the police to come only if I feel threatened. It is OK walking away from a conflict, but who's to say that the 'bellend' who is the problem, is not going to come marching down the platform when he gets off looking for a fight. All these things have to be considered, and it is not an easy decision to call. A guard assaulted is a train out of service. A guard assaulted on a DCO train is a train still running, so don't expect staff on a DCO train to put themselves in the firing line. The backup will not be there for them to do so.
It is a complicated issue, but people need to remember. I get a print out of court cases every month where 'Northern' have prosecuted fare dodgers, and the fines can be eye watering.