• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I actually found a train I like - Southwest electric Soton>Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaltoast

Member
Joined
19 May 2008
Messages
132
Although my main interest is ticket prices, and all I seem to do is come here to bitch and moan, I thought I'd do that rare thing and say something positive!
Havingnever before had a reason to get on a Southwest Trains electric train from Southampton to Waterloo, I had to get that same train from Soton>Basingstoke t'other day.
What a sleek, smooth train! Bear in mind almost all my journeys usually involve a Crosscountry voyager train, perhaps my expectations are naturally low.
I know it helped that it was electric for quietness, but there was LOADS more legroom, the train seemed bigger, wider and airier, the toilets actually worked, the seats weren't bad at all, and the suspension was very smooth. My only gripe was the incredibly loud and annoying high pitched and unnecessary "dinging" as the doors opened. I don't know if there are different ones but this had bright red seats and a scrolling info thingummy in the middle of the carriage

I not a propa spotta so I don't know what "class" these would have been, but if someone could make a diesel version that could take me to Birmingham from Reading or Oxford I'd be a happier traveller!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan_atki

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2006
Messages
1,879
Although my main interest is ticket prices, and all I seem to do is come here to bitch and moan, I thought I'd do that rare thing and say something positive!
Havingnever before had a reason to get on a Southwest Trains electric train from Southampton to Waterloo, I had to get that same train from Soton>Basingstoke t'other day.
What a sleek, smooth train! Bear in mind almost all my journeys usually involve a Crosscountry voyager train, perhaps my expectations are naturally low.
I know it helped that it was electric for quietness, but there was LOADS more legroom, the train seemed bigger, wider and airier, the toilets actually worked, the seats weren't bad at all, and the suspension was very smooth. My only gripe was the incredibly loud and annoying high pitched and unnecessary "dinging" as the doors opened. I don't know if there are different ones but this had bright red seats and a scrolling info thingummy in the middle of the carriage

I not a propa spotta so I don't know what "class" these would have been, but if someone could make a diesel version that could take me to Birmingham from Reading or Oxford I'd be a happier traveller!

Ah a Desiro! Would probably have been a class 444 (white exterior), though class 450s (blue exterior) have been known to work down the SWML. They (well the 444s at least) are actually good trains (*opens self up for ridicule*) in terms of journey comfort.

450s work the Waterloo to Portsmouth via Basingstoke services and more recently also the Portsmouth Direct line via Guildford (where these used to be 444s). The 3+2 seating arrangement and the thinner seats on the 450s compared to the 444s left many commuters on that line annoyed saying the trains were a health risk. South West Trains actually even got an independant ergonomic assessment done on the 450s to prove they weren't! 450s are better suited to the suburban routes (hence the name 'suburban Desiro' SWT gives them) to Windsor and around Hounslow.

The 'ding ding ding' you mentioned is necessary under the Disablity Discrimination Act which all new rolling stock must conform to, as are other features of the train including the disabled toilet, automated announcements, and the scrolling information display.

Similar class 350 Desiros operated by London Midland are in operation in the West Midlands and on Northampton to Euston services. These units were part of a scrapped SWT order for 450s actually and hence they are very similar.

Closest diesel alternative is the class 185 currently in operation with First TransPennine Express.
 

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
The 450s are in fact used a heck of a lot more than one might imagine west of Southampton. Last Friday after 13.00 I saw first one on a Down service then another on an Up within a few minutes go past Totton. Then another solo unit on a Down another evening. Occasionally you see a 444+450 combo but I haven't seen one for a while.

The 450s also get used very occasionally on the Lymington Flier shuttle from Brockenhurst. Not something they want to do or are suitable for?
 

dan_atki

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2006
Messages
1,879
I think 450s are becoming the stock of choice for Poole stoppers over the 444s. Used also on Southampton to Portsmouth services too. The morning 0612 IIRC from WAT which called at absolutely every station Woking to Wareham until last December when it was extended to Weymouth also used to be operated by a 450 - probably still is tbh without me checking.

450s appear on the Lymington branch when both 3CIGs are out of use. They don't like to do it often though because Lymington Town is only just about cleared for a 4 car unit. Desiros' door lockout are unit wise (rather than car wise like an Electrostar), so if there was an issue with the platform being too short (say if a 444 ran down there - not that that is likely to happen though), then LYT would have to be on local door operation for alighting and boarding passengers. That will cause a lot of problems with the dwell time there and especially with only a 5 minute turnaround at both BCU and LYP it won't take long for it to run completely off schedule.
 

dan_atki

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2006
Messages
1,879
Indeed not - just checked and it is scheduled to be a 5 car 444. That's gonna cause a few occurances with short platforms and local door only...
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
The morning 0612 IIRC from WAT which called at absolutely every station Woking to Wareham until last December when it was extended to Weymouth also used to be operated by a 450 - probably still is tbh without me checking.

Nope it's a 444 now and I have worked it although not all the way down to Weymouth.
 

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
"Would any Ghosts wishing to get off at Beaulieu Road please make their way to the front of this train as I shall be opening one door only because of a short platform".

When electrification first enabled 12-cars to run in the summer, New Milton often had the sight of a 4-car + the 8-VAB 8001 trying to drop passengers off...and there were always those who had not heard the announcements/seen the boards or were too lazy to go to the front four cars. So drivers used to have to stop, let pax off, then shunt for'ard again!
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
I think I only ever worked one 8 car slammer down to Weymouth and stopped at Moreton (Down Road)only to witness Passengers jumping down onto the crossing from the train.
 

jv3531

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2008
Messages
213
Location
Gloucestershire
All are now booked to be single unit to weymouth from beyond poole - substations cant take power load from the two units together. As far as I am aware, modifcations had to be carried out to allow them to run the 2 trains per hour timetable they now have. The first desiro on the lymi line shut down on the the curve at the town - its tms got assey with it and threw the toys out the pram. They had to modify the software to allow them to run in service because it happened every time! 9 car 444+450 been operating again this week on Soton waterloos, they must be short of 444s as I have seen it two out of three days this week.
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
It was the same rule for a ten car piggie although you could run down to Weymouth with 10 coaches with special permission.
 

jv3531

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2008
Messages
213
Location
Gloucestershire
Thought it was! Didn't they have a ruling on power notch and had to cut out some of the traction motors if I remember correctly?
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
Well I never worked a ten down there so I never had the problem but I think they had to restrict the number of trains in the up and down section.

The notch two rule applies over the East Putney Line for Overground trains.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top