• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hypothetical: What would happen if last connection missed with a Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
Hi all,

I have a currently hypothetical scenario for a journey I intend to make in a few weeks time.

Journey Details are;
Bristol (1845) - Tamworth (2118) with XC (Free with Pass)
Tamworth (2135) - Preston (2300) with VTWC (PRIV ticket)
Preston (2315) - Barrow (0037) with Northern. (Free with Pass)

Now what would happen if the XC or VTWC was late and I missed my connection to Barrow? Would I be stuck on my own or would one of the above have to get me to Barrow?

Discuss.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Hi all,

I have a currently hypothetical scenario for a journey I intend to make in a few weeks time.

Journey Details are;
Bristol (1845) - Tamworth (2118) with XC (Free with Pass)
Tamworth (2135) - Preston (2300) with VTWC (PRIV ticket)
Preston (2315) - Barrow (0037) with Northern. (Free with Pass)

Now what would happen if the XC or VTWC was late and I missed my connection to Barrow? Would I be stuck on my own or would one of the above have to get me to Barrow?

Discuss.
A pass gives you the right to travel on any services provided by the relevant TOCs. It is not a ticket under the NRCoT so Condition 28.2 does not apply and I do not see that any TOC has any obligation to get you to your destination. VT would be obliged to get you from Tamworth to Preston seeing as you have a ticket for that stretch, but if you arrive at Tamworth after the last train then I'd say you are SOL.

If you want to be sure of benefitting from the usual protections, buy a ticket for your entire journey I'd say.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
A pass gives you the right to travel on any services provided by the relevant TOCs. It is not a ticket under the NRCoT so Condition 28.2 does not apply and I do not see that any TOC has any obligation to get you to your destination. VT would be obliged to get you from Tamworth to Preston seeing as you have a ticket for that stretch, but if you arrive at Tamworth after the last train then I'd say you are SOL.

If you want to be sure of benefitting from the usual protections, buy a ticket for your entire journey I'd say.
Really? As far as I'm aware my pass is still a ticket and counts as such for things like plus bus and other supplements....
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Really? As far as I'm aware my pass is still a ticket and counts as such for things like plus bus and other supplements....
Do you pay anything for it? If not, I struggle to see how it can count as a ticket.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
So that would include complimentary tickets issued by TOCs as well then surely? Not sure that having paid really influences anything?
Complimentary tickets are issued in lieu of compensation in most cases, so there is definitely consideration leading to the formation of a contract under the terms of the NRCoT. I don't think staff travel passes are subject to the NRCoT.
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Don't the conditions you get with a Staff Travel Card or your Arriva pass make this clear? I seem to recall that in the latter case at least, you are considered to be a "gratuitous passenger". They may say in the document exactly what they believe this means, but usually it is that people using tickets with Priv discount are generally treated the same as any other passenger, but that a some or all of the rights are reserved, including the ones relating to alternative transport.

Note that this status is very different to a complimentary travel ticket.
 
Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
Priv discounted (Quarter Fare) tickets are subject to all the rights and conditions of normal tickets.

Staff passes is much more of a grey area.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,668
Location
LBK
Some time ago, ATOC (as it was then), issued a clarification that customers on free passes or rail travel facilities were entitled to the same duty of care protections as anyone else in the event of stranding or failed journeys, including transport to destination or hotel.

This information was circulated internally and as far as I know isn't in the public domain.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
Some time ago, ATOC (as it was then), issued a clarification that customers on free passes or rail travel facilities were entitled to the same duty of care protections as anyone else in the event of stranding or failed journeys, including transport to destination or hotel.

This information was circulated internally and as far as I know isn't in the public domain.
Sounds reasonable enough to me.
 

Wagonshop

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2017
Messages
32
I have a free status for train travel.
This has not been used for about 3 years, the last time I used it was to go to meet old friends at Warrington, Returning home I got stranded at Faversham about 11pm A bus came about midnight to take me to Herne Bay, after a few miles a man behind me started geting very upset and I decided to get off the vehicle as I felt so unsafe.
The driver did not want to stop but he let off on the Thanet Way.
I got a taxi home. I did contact SE Trains, but never replied.
Would never travel again by train again at night
 

BigCj34

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2016
Messages
793
Hi all,

I have a currently hypothetical scenario for a journey I intend to make in a few weeks time.

Journey Details are;
Bristol (1845) - Tamworth (2118) with XC (Free with Pass)
Tamworth (2135) - Preston (2300) with VTWC (PRIV ticket)
Preston (2315) - Barrow (0037) with Northern. (Free with Pass)

Now what would happen if the XC or VTWC was late and I missed my connection to Barrow? Would I be stuck on my own or would one of the above have to get me to Barrow?

Discuss.

Is it possible to make seat reservations to guarantee the trip? Had an issue with Interrail, DB train cancelled in Frankfurt and had to buy a Thalys ticket to guarantee my Eurostar connection, as next eligible DB train would have left stranded in Brussels. Don't know if things will be any simpler here!
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I have a free status for train travel.
This has not been used for about 3 years, the last time I used it was to go to meet old friends at Warrington, Returning home I got stranded at Faversham about 11pm A bus came about midnight to take me to Herne Bay, after a few miles a man behind me started geting very upset and I decided to get off the vehicle as I felt so unsafe.
The driver did not want to stop but he let off on the Thanet Way.
I got a taxi home. I did contact SE Trains, but never replied.
Would never travel again by train again at night

I would've sat closer to the driver than get off on the Thanet way - night or day
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top