• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hunts cross west junction - hunts cross "de"electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ships

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2013
Messages
338
I know the 25kv didn't quite get to hunts cross but, however does anyone know when this section was "de"electrified. Also when did the shunt neck for Allerton depot had its 3rd rail removed (assuming with the depot reopening but it's worth checking). My 2005 quail shows it in situ but I've lost my latest one to check!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kentuckytony

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2010
Messages
283
Location
Edgewood KY USA
For what it's worth, the August 2013 Quail map shows the neck still has 3rd rail.
Also (from 2018 Google Maps):Hunts Depot Shunt.jpg
 
Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
I understand it was done when Allerton depot was wired for the 319s a few years ago to better segregate the AC and DC electrification systems.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,924
Last year or the year before a post came down having rusted through and had a disagreement with an EMT 158. Shortly afterwards they were removed.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
Rusting through of OLE supports is more common in dual-electrified areas due to stray current issues.
 

Ships

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2013
Messages
338
Thanks guys, the main line connections no longer there, I did notice one of the ole concrete bases (without ole mast I hasten to ask) had a boat strap round it, presumably due to the dirty great crack through it!

As an aside I wonder how much use this ole actually got
 

Beebman

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
966
Location
Twyford
Thanks guys, the main line connections no longer there, I did notice one of the ole concrete bases (without ole mast I hasten to ask) had a boat strap round it, presumably due to the dirty great crack through it!

As an aside I wonder how much use this ole actually got

There have been 'Electric Trains Stop Here' signs for many years on the spur down from Allerton Junction (they're just visible above the 150 in this photo):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/9663393910

I've often wondered about the possibility of a railtour from Euston to Southport or the Wirral using a 313 with a changeover of electrical supply just to the west of Hunts Cross but I'd guess that's always been a non-starter!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top