• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Humours of the Iron Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,107
Location
North Wales
Some while ago my father bought me a very interesting present: a copy of the third edition of Difyrion y Ffordd Haearn (Humors of the Iron Road) by Thomas Phillips of Carmarthen. It is a collection of stories and anecdotes in English and Welsh, gathered by Mr Phillips over 45 years of service with the Great Western Railway (references to the LMS puts the date of publication post 1922).

I plan to post a few of the best gems here now and again, as and when I get a few moments to transcribe them.


---


A man arrived here by the 3.30 p.m. fast train asleep, stretched out on the seat. The guards and porters could not awake him. They raised him up and pulled him about, but of no avail. He was falling back on the seat exactly like a dead man. They tried for nearly half an hour to awake him. There was a crowd looking on at the performance. A man came along and asked me to clear the crowd, he would awake him as he knew him. I said "Thank you." So he went into the compartment where the man was still in an apparent deadly sleep. He whispered loud in his ear, "Jack! get up, Jack! there is a gentleman here going to stand you a drink." The man got up right on his feet on the floor of the compartment, rubbed his eyes and enquired, - "Where is he?" The Company unfortunately have to carry tons of this sample about.


---


There was a shunter of the name of John Sly, who said that he would not stand out in the rain without an overcoat, seeing that the guards, signalmen, &c., were allowed overcoats. He wrote to the Superintendent in rhyme, thus:-

"Dear Sir,-
I, John Sly, beg leave to apply
For an overcoat to keep me dry.

Yours truly,
John Sly." (He had it).


---


Dyn a wig ar ei ben. Gofynodd un arall, "Pam ydych yn gwisgo wig? Edrychwch arnaf fi. Dyn wedi colli ei wallt." Meddai wrtho, "Nid oes eisiau tô ar ben ysgubor wâg."

(There was) a man with a wig on his head. Another man asked "why do you wear a wig? Look at me, I'm completely bald". He replied "there is no need for a roof on an empty barn".


--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


'Roedd hen wraig un tro yn myned i Quakers' Yard i roi tro am ei merch. Gofynodd y Ticket Collector am ei thocyn, a dywedodd wrthi fod yn rhaid newid dair gwaith. "Caton pawb i! Dim ond un dress sydd yn fy meddiant," meddai hi.

An old lady once was going to Quakers' Yard to see her daughter. The Ticket Collector asked to see her ticket, and told her that she would have to change three times. "Heavens above!" she said, "I only have one dress with me."


---


Years ago there was an old character, a shunter, who wanted to go on holiday for a week. The Regulation of the Company was that only three days holiday was allowed, but he told his mates that he would have six days, so he made his novel application as follows:-

"Dear Sir,-
"I beg to apply for six days holiday, with passes for myself and Sally to Aberystwyth. Sally is not well, and the Doctor told me to take her for a change of air. I intend taking her to Aberystwyth to give her a dip in the blue sea. I am sure you would not like to see Sally dying and leaving me here by myself."

The Superintendent sent for him to his office to explain; but when he went to the office the Superintendent did not say a word, but looked at him hard in the face for a time, and the shunter looked at him. The favour was granted by this sort of testing.


---


I was travelling in North Wales from Avon Wen to Barmouth; a young man and woman came in to the same compartment. The young man said to me "Good morning." I acknowledged the compliment. I kept reading my newspaper. They talked in Welsh very nice things: Where the honeymoon was to be spent, the goods and money she was to have from his father and mother, and even the farm they were going to reside at. They alighted at Glandovey Junction. I said to them, "Boreu da i chwi, 'nawr." (A good morning to you, now) The young woman looked scared, and blushed from ear to ear.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,107
Location
North Wales
A woman from the country was heard to say, "I have two sons on the Railway, and they are both sure to come on as they are both good writers. Edward is in the box at Pontarddulais (Signal Box) and William is in an office at Swansea goods shed (checker), but Edward will come higher on the Railway, as he can write with a quill pen."


---


THE INCREASED RAILWAY FARES. - Overheard at Carmarthen recently. A passenger reaching the platform from the Booking Office, busily counting his change, greeted aby his wife just as the train was coming in: "Is this our train, dearest?" He answered after a somewhat lengthy interval, "Well, I was just thinking it was considering the money I have paid for the tickets."


---


IN THE WRONG TRAIN, - When Mr. Moody, the Evangelist, paid a visit to this country, he happened to be at Crewe Station on his way to Liverpool. An Irishman, who had taken a drop too much, also happened to be at Crewe Station that sae day and wanted a train for Liverpool. Having secured his ticket the Irishman entered the compartment of a train standing at the platform, and was preparing to make himself comfortable, when he was aroused by "Tickets, please." Patrick produced his ticket for Liverpool. "Come out," said the ticket collector, "you are in the wrong train. This train is for Holyhead." Out he came, and got into another train. "Tickets, please," said someone again to him. The Liverpool ticket was again produced. "You re in the wrong train." said the collector. "This train is for Shrewsbury. You had better come out." Out he came, and into another train. The same words came to his ears again - "Tickets, please." The ticket for Liverpool was shewn for the third time. "Come out, man," he heard again, "this train is for Stafford." At last they put him into the Liverpool train. Mr. Moody happened to be sitting in the compartment he entered. Pat was by now furious, and swearing like a trooper. Mr. Moody looked at him and said, "My dear man, you are going to hell." Well bedad!" exclaimed Pat, "I am in the wrong train again."


---


We see plenty of people sleeping and overcarried, &c., at Carmarthen. Some of them are genuine, others are doing in for a purpose. A man once passed Carmarthen Junction, and could not see the way clear to get out, but we had him on his return, and he was taken before the magistrates. He had a solicitor to defend him, who asked me if I made all overcarried persons pay. I told him, "Circumstances alter cases." He went on saying that he travelled from Pembrokeshire, and slept until he got to Landore, and from Landore to Carmarthen Junction, and slept until he got to Neyland. In both cases his ticket was endorsed by the stationmaster. I told him my rule was, if I came across a stupid passenger overcarried I sent him to the stationmaster to have his ticket endorsed, but made all intelligent people pay. He lost the case.


---


Two brothers, colliers - Dai and Shoni - came by train from Pontypridd to Porth. Both had been drinking well. The sluces of their tongues were quite loosened. They spoke English to each other, as Welshmen often do under the influence of drink. "Hei Shoni," said Dai, "it was here" (referring to a turn on the iron road), "it was here the collision took place last week." "Oh! Oh!" Shoni replied. "But Shoni," said Dai again, "tell me which you would prefer to in a collision, or in an explosion? Think now, think." "In a collision, be sure," said Shoni. "What are your reasons for it, Shoni?" asked Dai. "If you die, Dai," said Shoni, "in a collision - there you are; but if you die, Dai, in an explosion - where are you?"


---


A man was running to catch the 2.50 p.m. London, Midland and Scottish train (known as Oliver's train) to Nantgaredig, but just missed it. Porter told him he did not run fast enough. The passenger replied: "I ran quite fast enough, but the mistake was I did not start quite early enough."
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top