• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HUGE New Street collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
As I promised at some point earlier I would finally get around to sticking all shots under the Birmingham New Street banner into a new collection.

This has now been done, just a set of duplicates and nothing that hasn't been available previously, but a lot have been buried among other things and this collection starts with it's first image in Decmeber 2004 and seems to show some track missing :lol:

Apart from the traction changes and the franchise/livery changes there's another thing that is apparent from this collection spanning nearly five years. My post processing of images has come on leaps and bounds. It's the overcast stuff that looks so lifeless. So, that leads me to a next stupid idea, I'm going to re-edit anything I deem worthy to gain improvement. Just don't ask me when............

Collection can be found HERE so far the total is 228 photos!

Also worth picking out the Rotunda changes below:

Pre-refurb
y0r4c2.jpg


During the remodelling
y0r4an.jpg


Post refurb a return to glory and a return of the Skoda!!!!!!
y0r4i2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stacey

Member
Joined
8 May 2009
Messages
283
Location
Stourbridge
I really like the shots on there - very much like the non track shot - as a night shot it's really good, also the shot looking through the doors at the other platforms (you might know what I mean!) Like them all in general though mind!!!
You mentioned the other day about my site having bigger photos on it - that's fair enough, your size of fot isn't bad tbh on the New Street collection as it's not too big, not too small; what do you resize the fots to for the online gallery?
(not saying I'll change mine but I'm open to the thought...!!!) lol :)
S.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,190
Location
0035
Fantastic pics - I love how in many of them you've actually made the place look nice!
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
You mentioned the other day about my site having bigger photos on it - that's fair enough, your size of fot isn't bad tbh on the New Street collection as it's not too big, not too small; what do you resize the fots to for the online gallery?
(not saying I'll change mine but I'm open to the thought...!!!) lol :)
S.

For most of the New Street collection there are two sizes. These have to do with the two ratios available to digital photography SLR is 3:2 compacts are 4:3. So my original shots are 832x555 and 832x624 respectively. These days, as I've gone up to premium and Gfx cards are getting better and monitors bigger I go with 1000x667 or 1000x750 (excluding the panoramas of course)

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments, the main reason for the new collection was to dig out the shots more buried from years ago with general content. I am trying to make it look it's best, but as they say you can't polish a t&*d
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
Nice shots... would also be interesting to do pre/during/after shots of the refurb of New Street as well just to keep Carl Chinn happy :D
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
Nice shots... would also be interesting to do pre/during/after shots of the refurb of New Street as well just to keep Carl Chinn happy :D

They shall be done don't worry, I'm going to speak to Network Rail about the more unusual angles of the work too
 

LilLoaf

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2008
Messages
510
New Street is my favourite station, i've been there twice this week just to take photo's. It'll be a shame when they start to pull it to pieces (just to put it back together again!). How did you get the pics of the trains going through the junction? I searched all over for a place to look at trains through the junction. The best place i found was the waistground next to Millenium point. All the roads go under the tracks not over them so you carn't look down on it. Best place i found was a bridge of the trains coming out of New Street East tunnels.
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
New Street is my favourite station, i've been there twice this week just to take photo's. It'll be a shame when they start to pull it to pieces (just to put it back together again!). How did you get the pics of the trains going through the junction? I searched all over for a place to look at trains through the junction. The best place i found was the waistground next to Millenium point. All the roads go under the tracks not over them so you carn't look down on it. Best place i found was a bridge of the trains coming out of New Street East tunnels.

All of those shots are taken whilst at work as a guard. They can only be taken from on a train with droppcake windows be they the miniscule amount of slam door services or a back cab.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top