matacaster
On Moderation
Just wondering if anyone had any times for this partially abandoned route as it was more direct than current route via Barnsley.
As my hometown line on which I travelled daily betwen 1974 and 76, I can tell you that Huddersfield to Penistone was 29/30 minutes and Penistone to Sheffield (Midland) 23 minutes which included a reversal at Nunnery Junction after passing Victoria in approx 17 mins. There were between 7 and 9 trains a day over the years between 1970 and 1983, not frequent and not particularly busy, mainly 2 cars 101's but sometimes a 3 car Calder Valley set at peak time. The 101's were power twins and could shift, 70mph continuously from passing Barnsley Junction to Sheffield Victoria, half the time on no power and uphill coming back full power all the way. I still remember departure times from Penistone to Sheffield to this day, 0750, 0810, 0930, 1130, 1350, 1650, 1750, 1830 and coming back 0745, 0910, 1120, 1320, 1650, 1740 and 1930 all give or take. I think there were 2 extra Penistone to Huddersfields at 0645 and 0745 and at one time there was a late 2300 ish from Sheffield to Penistone and return but that didnt last the course. Even when they were diverted via Barnsley the basic timetable didnt change to hourly for a year or so at least. Anecdotely, the X68 bus was a few minutes quicker between Huddersfield and Penistone and only 15 minutes longer to Sheffield than the train.And having found a previous thread, I can tell you that Sheffield to Penistone via that route took 17 minutes in 1969. I can't find the times all the way to Huddersfield.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/timetable-for-last-passenger-service-via-woodhead.110343/
As my hometown line on which I travelled daily betwen 1974 and 76, I can tell you that Huddersfield to Penistone was 29/30 minutes and Penistone to Sheffield (Midland) 23 minutes which included a reversal at Nunnery Junction after passing Victoria in approx 17 mins. There were between 7 and 9 trains a day over the years between 1970 and 1983, not frequent and not particularly busy, mainly 2 cars 101's but sometimes a 3 car Calder Valley set at peak time. The 101's were power twins and could shift, 70mph continuously from passing Barnsley Junction to Sheffield Victoria, half the time on no power and uphill coming back full power all the way. I still remember departure times from Penistone to Sheffield to this day, 0750, 0810, 0930, 1130, 1350, 1650, 1750, 1830 and coming back 0745, 0910, 1120, 1320, 1650, 1740 and 1930 all give or take. I think there were 2 extra Penistone to Huddersfields at 0645 and 0745 and at one time there was a late 2300 ish from Sheffield to Penistone and return but that didnt last the course. Even when they were diverted via Barnsley the basic timetable didnt change to hourly for a year or so at least. Anecdotely, the X68 bus was a few minutes quicker between Huddersfield and Penistone and only 15 minutes longer to Sheffield than the train.
easy when you used to work in the telephone enquiry office. Shame I cant remember now why I get up to go to the kitchen!Excellent memory, thank you for the additional information!