I’ve always known these trains as InterCity 125 and only in recent years as High Speed Trains. Were they always known as HST also or when did they change?
Anything but the wrong in every way “HST125” proliferated mainly by children on YouTubeAnd with the rise of online forums discussing said trains it is easier to type 'HST' than either 'IC125' or 'Intercity 125'.
People saying "Intercity 125" rather than HST or just 125 became the way of detecting normals or newbies in the insular pre-internet world of young enthusiasts!When I was a child I always knew them as Intercity 125's but that name felt less relevant once they were no longer branded as Intercity.
People saying "Intercity 125" rather than HST or just 125 became the way of detecting normals or newbies in the insular pre-internet world of young enthusiasts!![]()
Swallow livery was a design classic, up there with Kenneth Grange's HST power car itself. Even allowing for the fact that style does move on, I can only think of a few post-1995 liveries (GNER, Scotrail Saltire and Valley Lines) that even come close.I really don't like the HST name though, I always loved the Intercity name and branding and still hate seeing the 43's and 91's in their mostly garish franchise branding. I was wasting time and popped past a little railway place and they had a class 47 model in the Intercity swallow branding which although I don't buy these things normally just couldn't resist.
I agree completely with the privatised liveries being utterly repulsive.
Ironically, the 110mph services were the ones that actually did what it said on the can whereas the IC225s never offered 140mph. Similarly, the HSTs on the MML spend so little time at their implied speed and even the GWML services to the south-west only do a 125mph dash to Reading, - still firmly in London outer-suburban territory. If the trains themselves are being referred to, then HST is the correct term as the 125 bit is so often irrelevant.Intercity 125 marketed emphasis on the speed, signifying the train speed was 125mph Hence why the cl91/MK4 were intercity 225 (225kmh or 140mph) and an attempt was made to designate the 87/90/Mk3 sets as intercity 175 (110mph) but that never took off.
I quite like the Renatus Class 321 livery and the Southeastern dark blue liveries on the 395s and 375s. The Southern, Great Western, SWR and Stagecoach liveries are good as well.All of them? As you'd expect there's a mixture of the good, bad and ugly.
You may be thinking of the cancelled IC250 project. Funny how the IC225 and IC250 were the only examples of BR embracing the metric system!Was there not a proposal to rebrand the WCML Electric Services as IC 175 or similar?
Livery preferences are subjective, but Dynamic Lines was a horrible livery. "Oh, we've got the finest intercity train in British history? Let's paint it like our buses!"I quite like the Renatus Class 321 livery and the Southeastern dark blue liveries on the 395s and 375s. The Southern, Great Western, SWR and Stagecoach liveries are good as well.
Oh, let's not forget Dynamic Lines and Urban Lights. They were brilliant.
Read post #5 above.You may be thinking of the cancelled IC250 project. Funny how the IC225 and IC250 were the only examples of BR embracing the metric system!![]()
Oops! I'm blaming the heat...Read post #5 above.
People saying "Intercity 125" rather than HST or just 125 became the way of detecting normals or newbies in the insular pre-internet world of young enthusiasts!![]()
The Dynamic Lines livery was nothing like the livery carried on buses either Barbie or now Urban. The only road vehicles to carry anything resembling Dynamic Lines were a few Truonian coaches.Livery preferences are subjective, but Dynamic Lines was a horrible livery. "Oh, we've got the finest intercity train in British history? Let's paint it like our buses!"![]()
It was clearly related though. The same pink/purple accents but with a different base.The Dynamic Lines livery was nothing like the livery carried on buses either Barbie or now Urban. The only road vehicles to carry anything resembling Dynamic Lines were a few Truonian coaches.
in fact my least favourite livery on a HST would have to be IC Swallow
Same colours, but the bus livery was more akin to the first FGW livery which replaced fag packet green and gold and worn by Scotrail trains.It was clearly related though. The same pink/purple accents but with a different base.