• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST to the East Lancs

Status
Not open for further replies.

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,851
The 125 Group's HST set is scheduled to appear at the East Lancashire Railway DMU gala over the weekend of 9/10 November. To get the set there, 125 Group are running it as a charter from Derby to Bury on Friday 8th November, at the bargain price of £30. The tour is one way only - the set returns empty stock after the event.

More details (and booking info) here: https://www.125group.org.uk/

125 Group are excited to offer you the chance of a trip from Derbyshire to Bury ahead of the East Lancashire Railway DMU Gala.

This is a ONE WAY journey between 43159 & 43089 starting at Derby around 12.15 on Friday 8th November. En-route our HST will be calling at Chesterfield, Sheffield and Stalybridge before arriving at Bury Bolton St just after 3pm.

Our HST set will then stay at the East Lancashire Railway to participate in the weekends events. Following the trip there is easy access to trams & trains from Bury to complete your journey home.

Shop125 will be open for you to get your gala essentials ahead of the crowds on the weekend, while Buffet125 will also be open to keep you fed & watered!

You can do ALL or ANY part of the journey for a flat fare of £30 – tickets are now available from our online shop or you can pay on the day (subject to availability).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I was looking at the published route for this - would I be right in thinking it traverses the newly re-laid connection over the M62 bridge, to access the ELR?
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,293
Location
East Midlands
I was looking at the published route for this - would I be right in thinking it traverses the newly re-laid connection over the M62 bridge, to access the ELR?
Based on the limited route information above, I can see at least a couple of possible routes from Sheffield to Bury Bolton Street via Stalybridge and one of them does not approach the Castleton junctions from the south over the new bridge. Given that movements like this are often routed in a convoluted or unexpected way I wouldn't like to guess which one will actually be taken, unless there's more route information that I'm missing.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Based on the limited route information above, I can see at least a couple of possible routes from Sheffield to Bury Bolton Street via Stalybridge and one of them does not approach the Castleton junctions from the south over the new bridge. Given that movements like this are often routed in a convoluted or unexpected way I wouldn't like to guess which one will actually be taken, unless there's more route information that I'm missing.
I am probably getting my directions mixed up to be fair :D
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,813
Location
West of Andover
Booked on this for the chance to do one of the connections from Network Rail onto the East Lancs Railway (one of those railways which has been on my list to visit for ages but I never get round to visiting).

Also for the chance for a hopefully decent run on a HST for the first time in a while.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,293
Location
East Midlands
Booked on this for the chance to do one of the connections from Network Rail onto the East Lancs Railway (one of those railways which has been on my list to visit for ages but I never get round to visiting).

Also for the chance for a hopefully decent run on a HST for the first time in a while.
I found Bury Bolton Street to be a very impressive station (the entrance on the bridge isn't much to look at but it's quite something down at platform level).

I'm just deciding whether to go to the ELR steam gala next weekend after having already been to the diesel gala a few weeks ago.
 

Tractor37

Member
Joined
23 May 2017
Messages
297
I was looking at the published route for this - would I be right in thinking it traverses the newly re-laid connection over the M62 bridge, to access the ELR?
Most likely it will run into Castleton station in the down (Manchester to Rochdale direction) platform and access the ELR using Castleton East junction. The connection from the ELR using Castleton West junction only connects straight onto the Up line, there being no connection between the Down line straight onto the ELR. Hope that helps
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Based on the limited route information above, I can see at least a couple of possible routes from Sheffield to Bury Bolton Street via Stalybridge and one of them does not approach the Castleton junctions from the south over the new bridge. Given that movements like this are often routed in a convoluted or unexpected way I wouldn't like to guess which one will actually be taken, unless there's more route information that I'm missing.
I have checked and according to the route published by 125 Group, it will approach from Brewery Junction and travel to Castleton before shunting on to the ELR. By my reckoning, this means it will pass the new connection but continue on and join the ELR from the connection that has been in place for some time
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,293
Location
East Midlands
I have checked and according to the route published by 125 Group, it will approach from Brewery Junction and travel to Castleton before shunting on to the ELR. By my reckoning, this means it will pass the new connection but continue on and join the ELR from the connection that has been in place for some time
Where is the detailed route published? I can only find the calling points. Probably missing an obvious link!
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Most likely it will run into Castleton station in the down (Manchester to Rochdale direction) platform and access the ELR using Castleton East junction. The connection from the ELR using Castleton West junction only connects straight onto the Up line, there being no connection between the Down line straight onto the ELR. Hope that helps
Ah yes, I didn't realise it was a diamond on the down line - I think there has been a bit of "hoo ha" in the the bridge replacement thread about it and why it doesn't have a full set of points to allow access from either direction
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
may have booked on this...............................

( A slightly different route for me from MK to Leeds that day!)
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,851
Less than 20 pre-booked tickets remaining for this… Of you’re wanting to book, you need to do so soon!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Due to demand, an extra 40 tickets have been made available for this…

Suspect that means a 2+7 set is now planned, rather than the 2+6 that was allocated.
 
Last edited:

HST43257

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
1,650
Location
York
Any idea of timings for this yet?

EDIT: Just found the provisional timings on the facebook
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,851
This train has now sold out of pre-book tickets. A limited number of “pay on the day” seats have been held back.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,293
Location
East Midlands
Just out of curiosity, what's the rationale behind holding some seats back for on the day sale when they could presumably all be sold in advance?
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,851
Just out of curiosity, what's the rationale behind holding some seats back for on the day sale when they could presumably all be sold in advance?
It’s because pay on the day was promised on the first social media postings and they are keeping their word on that.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Timings are now available: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U32001/2024-11-08/detailed

Derby dep 1205
Chesterfield dep 1238
Sheffield dep 1324
Stalybridge dep 1458
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
great day out in this trip. Train ran well, very good time keeping, no "top men", only a few silly youth teamers and no inadequates. Good crowd, good atmosphere, spotless interiors. The seat I sat in had the nicest cushion I have ever seen on an HST. It was like sitting on a booster seat! If only the power cars were in a proper livery ;)

Overall: would recommended

( well done to all of the team who arranged and ran the tour - good work all round!)
 

HST43257

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
1,650
Location
York
great day out in this trip. Train ran well, very good time keeping, no "top men", only a few silly youth teamers and no inadequates. Good crowd, good atmosphere, spotless interiors. The seat I sat in had the nicest cushion I have ever seen on an HST. It was like sitting on a booster seat! If only the power cars were in a proper livery ;)

Overall: would recommended

( well done to all of the team who arranged and ran the tour - good work all round!)
Couldn’t sum it up better myself

An excellent day out
 

Gaz67

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
176
Yes great trip, best 30 quid I've spent in a long time, the trip out via Toton scrapyard (sorry depot) was a bonus. The shop must have taken a King's ransom, there was a permanent queue the whole trip, selling the kind of stuff that's beneath the CFPS;),I made 2 visits.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,716
Location
West Riding
Looked smart and full passing through Wakefield Kirkgate. Interesting to compare the two different crowds that turned out for the Peak there earlier in the day, and the HST. I agree it’s a very comfortable rake from my trips on it this year to Marylebone and at the Midland Railway Centre.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
Interesting to compare the two different crowds that turned out for the Peak there earlier in the day, and the HST
Now I'm curious. Would you care to provide more details?
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
It was interesting that the crowd for the Peak was mainly older males, while the HST drew a much more younger and diverse crowd.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was expecting but good of you to confirm.
 

raveon

Member
Joined
21 Nov 2007
Messages
95
great day out in this trip. Train ran well, very good time keeping, no "top men", only a few silly youth teamers and no inadequates. Good crowd, good atmosphere, spotless interiors. The seat I sat in had the nicest cushion I have ever seen on an HST. It was like sitting on a booster seat! If only the power cars were in a proper livery ;)

Overall: would recommended

( well done to all of the team who arranged and ran the tour - good work all round!)
“Top men” sounds like a descriptor for a group of football “enthusiasts” and not something I’ve heard in a rail context :s
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top