• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST - The end of an era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Not tried ICE, one day I will, it looks absolutely superb. Planning Europe in 2007, the UK must be done first. From what I've seen, if HST2 follows the ICE in terms of passenger comfort and speed, then it won't be bad. Let's hope such a thing can happen though here, although if the DfT have their way it certainly won't.

I'm still predicting a brand new fleet of DEMUs much like the Meridian. Which is simply not good enough, the passengers are already voting with their feet and saying no to the Voyagers and Meridians. I dare say Hull Trains passengers would too if they had good quality HSTs running instead of Pioneers. To put up with them for 20 years all of the time, no, thank you and good night, I'll drive instead. That I am happy to stand by, it also being an opinion shared by many of the travelling public, who just aren't going to put up with sub-standard quality trains. They do already, and if HST2 doesn't win them over, then we'll all be stuck with terrible rolling stock, more people will go back to driving, cycling, walking, taking the bus or coach or even car pooling.

*Installs hooks and racks for the many notebooks, fleet lists and pens ready*
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexflyer

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Messages
19
Location
slough, also in the cab between LHR an PAD
WSXFan said:
Not tried ICE, one day I will, it looks absolutely superb. Planning Europe in 2007, the UK must be done first. From what I've seen, if HST2 follows the ICE in terms of passenger comfort and speed, then it won't be bad. Let's hope such a thing can happen though here, although if the DfT have their way it certainly won't.

I'm still predicting a brand new fleet of DEMUs much like the Meridian. Which is simply not good enough, the passengers are already voting with their feet and saying no to the Voyagers and Meridians. I dare say Hull Trains passengers would too if they had good quality HSTs running instead of Pioneers. To put up with them for 20 years all of the time, no, thank you and good night, I'll drive instead. That I am happy to stand by, it also being an opinion shared by many of the travelling public, who just aren't going to put up with sub-standard quality trains. They do already, and if HST2 doesn't win them over, then we'll all be stuck with terrible rolling stock, more people will go back to driving, cycling, walking, taking the bus or coach or even car pooling.

*Installs hooks and racks for the many notebooks, fleet lists and pens ready*

Defo not DEMU's its well known that these aren't suitable and is the reason the whole HST2 project has come about.

What it will be is fixed formation with driving cars at each end whether these are powered or not depends on which manufacturer you go to, with either push-pull locomotives (aka HST) or distributed power with diesel alternator sets at either end.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Can you be sure of that? I'm not, hence my previous post. I'll stay with my current view, remembering I need to get that new provisional license soon...
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
I think it's a good idea VT haven't banned stereos in the Quiet Zone. I like to sit in there, mainly to get a table seat, but also so I'm not disturbed by other annoying sounds people make.

The reason the seats are arranged as such in coach F is because, to get around the 'ban' on passengers travelling in the leading vehicle at 101mph+, they had to put the seats facing away from the direction of travel (if the train is going forward), same with why the seats are arranged as such in 1st class.
 

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Joined
7 Sep 2005
Messages
1,787
Location
Loughborough
Mojo said:
The reason the seats are arranged as such in coach F is because, to get around the 'ban' on passengers travelling in the leading vehicle at 101mph+, they had to put the seats facing away from the direction of travel (if the train is going forward), same with why the seats are arranged as such in 1st class.

Although I've heard that used as the excuse for the poor layout in coach F on a Voyager loads of times, it can't be true since both the 180s and Meridiens carry passengers in the leading coach at above 100mph, yet they have many more seats facing the front of the train in the leading coaches, with the 180s at least having table bays right at the front. The Meridiens have them very near the front, but I can't 100% say they have them at the front (e.g that there are no airline seats between the front bulkhead and the first table bay). The main requirements were about crashworthness, supposedly meaning that you are as safe in the leading coach of a new high speed train above 100mph than in the leading coach of a normal train at 100mph.
 

Sprog

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Messages
1,314
Location
SPM
ChrisCooper said:
Although I've heard that used as the excuse for the poor layout in coach F on a Voyager loads of times, it can't be true since both the 180s and Meridiens carry passengers in the leading coach at above 100mph, yet they have many more seats facing the front of the train in the leading coaches, with the 180s at least having table bays right at the front. The Meridiens have them very near the front, but I can't 100% say they have them at the front (e.g that there are no airline seats between the front bulkhead and the first table bay). The main requirements were about crashworthness, supposedly meaning that you are as safe in the leading coach of a new high speed train above 100mph than in the leading coach of a normal train at 100mph.

The 'rule' was abandoned IIRC by the time the 222s where built.

As for the 180s, they have very large crumple zones and i dont know alot more about the seating layout to comment TBH.
 

Sprog

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Messages
1,314
Location
SPM
hexflyer said:
very true Tom and daft rule it was too!!

(ahhhh like your avatar!! lol)

:D LOL, ta :love8:

Like yours and all!

Do you do any Connect turns, or are you just on 332s...?
 

hexflyer

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Messages
19
Location
slough, also in the cab between LHR an PAD
spm_43030 said:
:D LOL, ta :love8:

Like yours and all!

Do you do any Connect turns, or are you just on 332s...?

I do both, but only get connect turns when i'm on spare turns or they're short, prefer connect though as you get a half hr sleep in the head shunt every trip lol, plus you get to see more totty drivin connect than HEx lol
 

Sprog

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Messages
1,314
Location
SPM
hexflyer said:
always take my 'black book' with me

:shock:

I dont wanna know! :lol:

Totty eh!? ;) :p <D

Southall, Ealing, West Drayton etc........not exactly *meow* ;);) central are they!?? :confused:
 

Sprog

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Messages
1,314
Location
SPM
hexflyer said:
about half our drivers are female, although what i was referring to was the amount of female totty i meet whilst drivin connect, won'tbe long before summer is here wink wink

If you want female drivers Julian, head overto Hull Trains ;) 8-)

muwha <D :lol:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Not whilst they have a ban on people using rovers on their services! TR:UK's 2006 rover guide reports several rovers not being allowed on Hull Trains. Why I don't know. Yet another reason for me not to do their services. Will I ever reach Hull?

As for my previous post, I was joking about the last bit. It's actually surprising how often you can have a good run and then find you had a female driver! They're certainly not too common up here at least.
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
I can't say I've ever bothered to notice a good run with a female driver, theres so few of them down here, most drivers I ever have seem to be blokes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top