• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST Power car used for passenger luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master29

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
1,970
On the Cornishman today the TM announced at Liskeard and Plymouth that if anyone had any large items of luggage and were travelling to Paddington only they were to bring it to the rear power car for storage. She then went on to add that people with camping equipment for Exeter only should also do the same. Strange one that. It could be because coach C was missing and so only a 7 car very busy HST.

Just wondering if this is still normal now as they usually use the section in coach A. I do remember that they did once use the power cars for storage however.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Growl

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2016
Messages
97
Location
Greenwich
I always thought the HSTs in OpenTTD carrying mail was fictional, but no. Interesting. Wonder how warm the luggage was afterwards.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
Well that is what the space is there for! Admittedly it isn't always used but it's certainly not uncommon for the likes of VTEC to make use of it. Particularly at the start/end of University terms at places like Durham.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
I've seen the power car next to the Guards office and goods storeage space be used in extreme circumstances - on the GWR during the holiday and surfing season, and on the East Coast during the first days of the new student year (that'll be this week, then!) and the peak of the scottish tourism travel period, generally for end to end passengers only (but also, e.g. for Durham students on the last northbound train of the weekend)
 

Master29

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
1,970
It clearly does make sense but I was under the impression it just wasn`t done anymore.
 

The Growl

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2016
Messages
97
Location
Greenwich
Well that is what the space is there for! Admittedly it isn't always used but it's certainly not uncommon for the likes of VTEC to make use of it. Particularly at the start/end of University terms at places like Durham.

I always thought that was equipment like heaters etc, or the engine was just big!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
I always thought that was equipment like heaters etc, or the engine was just big!

If you ever get the chance have a look through the window in the power car door and you'll see there is loads of room! Hence why one was able to perform this rescue many years ago now :lol:
 

Mugby

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2012
Messages
2,138
Location
Derby
Isn't the maximum permitted load lettered on every power car? I'm sure it's 1.5 tons.
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
On the Cornishman today the TM announced at Liskeard and Plymouth that if anyone had any large items of luggage and were travelling to Paddington only they were to bring it to the rear power car for storage. She then went on to add that people with camping equipment for Exeter only should also do the same. Strange one that. It could be because coach C was missing and so only a 7 car very busy HST.

Just wondering if this is still normal now as they usually use the section in coach A. I do remember that they did once use the power cars for storage however.

A few years ago, when visiting the UK, at Paddington, boarding a service to Penzance, passengers were asked if they were going to Plymouth, they could put their baggage in the rear power car. On arrival at Plymouth there was a great rush to retrieve the baggage. I don't think this is something new.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
FGW/GWR have been doing it forever as far as I know, and VTEC also do checked baggage at busy times.

EMT generally has less of a luggage load but the Skegness HSTs this summer have been running with both powercars and the TGS full of luggage.

Bear in mind that on the first x sets the powercar also has a guard's area in it, the TGS came later.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,223
Location
Stockport
I always thought the HSTs in OpenTTD carrying mail was fictional, but no. Interesting. Wonder how warm the luggage was afterwards.

Up until late 1996 HSTs on the WCML regularly conveyed Royal Mail letter bags in the power car luggage areas whilst employed on (at least) Euston-Manchester services.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
FGW/GWR have been doing it forever as far as I know, and VTEC also do checked baggage at busy times.

EMT generally has less of a luggage load but the Skegness HSTs this summer have been running with both powercars and the TGS full of luggage.

Bear in mind that on the first x sets the powercar also has a guard's area in it, the TGS came later.

Yes, at busy times VTEC ask Edinburgh passengers at Kings Cross to check their luggage into the DVT. At Edinburgh, there is plenty of dwell time/turnaround time to unload the luggage at relative leisure, unlike the stops along the way.
 

Highland37

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
1,259
I am really hoping that Scotrail adopt this practice as space for bikes is very limited. It would make sense to use it.

Mind you, 2 years on from Aberllio starting, you still can't book bikes online.
 

Phil.

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2015
Messages
1,323
Location
Penzance
Isn't the maximum permitted load lettered on every power car? I'm sure it's 1.5 tons.

As I asked when I went on an HST course on 1977. How do you weigh what's going in there?
No satisfactory answer because there isn't one
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
Bear in mind that on the first x sets the powercar also has a guard's area in it, the TGS came later.

Wasn't that after a mixture of complaints from the guards that it was too noisy and also that the doors had a habit of opening at 125mph? :lol:
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Nice, but what if the storage and the place where you sit are total opposite. So than you have to walk 2 along the whole train.
 

JamesRowden

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
1,762
Location
Ilfracombe
As I asked when I went on an HST course on 1977. How do you weigh what's going in there?
No satisfactory answer because there isn't one

Gravity means that the ride height has a (theoretically) linear relationship to the load.
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
In 2006 I went on a school trip to Scotland and at kings cross gner allowed us to all put our bags in the power car
 

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2013
Messages
3,304
I am really hoping that Scotrail adopt this practice as space for bikes is very limited. It would make sense to use it.

Mind you, 2 years on from Aberllio starting, you still can't book bikes online.

Abellio ScotRail Cycle Innovation Plan

In our HSTs, which will be deployed on the key InterCity routes commencing December 2018, there will be space for cycles in the former luggage compartment in the motor vans.
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
Just last Friday I saw railway people unloading luggage from a power car at Paddington. The unfortunate thing was the railwayman left standing forlornly with a solitary unclaimed suitcase!
 

welshpax

Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
83
Many years ago, early 90's I was on a peak hour service from Paddington to Cardiff which was full and standing. At the time there was a seat at the back end of the power car and I was allowed to sit there all the way from Paddington to Cardiff as long as I was quiet and tried not to be seen the other passengers standing in the 1st Class vestibule. Couldn't imagine this happening nowdays
 

VT_Valenta

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2012
Messages
27
Location
Plymouth
There has been a few things going on in the SW this weekend. There's a food festival at Exeter as well as Lockdown Festival which could explain the use for camping equipment etc.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
A company has been using the power car space to convey freight. Not sure what routes they are still operating on.
http://intercityrailfreight.com/

Shellfish i.e. live lobsters from Penzance to London, commenced last November reported on at the time by BBC Southwest TV although not certain if it's still in operation.

With the small amounts it can carry in a HST I've always suspected it to be little more than a publicity stunt....
 

Master29

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
1,970
With the small amounts it can carry in a HST I've always suspected it to be little more than a publicity stunt....

It seems absolute bull droppings from what I can see of it. "Their specialist passenger freight trains" ??.. What do they use, converted MTU engined 08`s ??
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
With the small amounts it can carry in a HST I've always suspected it to be little more than a publicity stunt....

similar to the fish that goes up from Inverness to London on the Sleeper
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top