• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST power car on fire at Penzance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul_Duke

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2014
Messages
396
I find the roofs are a good indication of condition. Some of the Mk 3s are more patching than original steel on the roof!

I’m pretty sure there are undiscovered antibiotics growing around the inside of the can window seals.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
9 Nov 2017
Messages
260
I’m pretty sure there are undiscovered antibiotics growing around the inside of the can window seals.
I once encountered a driver who used to lay antibacterial hand-wipes over every instrument he was likely to touch. Possibly a bit OCD, but to an extent I don't blame him!
 

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
Wonder if this relates to them going, so it doesn't matter.
I guess not as it was the maintenance being neglected as I stated. So with them going is nothing to do with the fires just the DFT ordering more Diesel Electro trains which is pointless.
 

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
Ok, but the way it is worded you made it sound like the cordoning off of certain seats was permanent and/or structure related. I've given 1 example where this would be the case, but the majority of time it will be due to 'passenger action' which no TOC can control.
That sounds right, (normals) bracking things.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
I guess not as it was the maintenance being neglected as I stated. So with them going is nothing to do with the fires just the DFT ordering more Diesel Electro trains which is pointless.
I do hope you have some evidence that maintenance is being neglected and that you are not posting opinion/rumour/wibble as fact.
 

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
I do hope you have some evidence that maintenance is being neglected and that you are not posting opinion/rumour/wibble as fact.
Well all the other TOC's that operate HST's haven't had the same problem's so its like they don't give two hoots any more.
 

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
Oh come on now, read what co-tr-paul posted above, posting #36!
OK so its not the exhaust and not electrical, but its not that I no of happened to the other TOC's, but that could be my speculation though. I have seen in photos that you see a hole behind to exhaust cowling and fans so the turbo.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
Well all the other TOC's that operate HST's haven't had the same problem's so its like they don't give two hoots any more.

Pretty serious but also baseless I imagine allegation?!
 

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
Pretty serious but also baseless I imagine allegation?!
Yes I guess but it was true with the 86's and 87's on WCML as they ran them down and to me it seems the same way with the GWR HST's. I can understand that the allegations are serious but as I say it's not happened to any other HST TOC's. May be its MTU that's the cause. (not trying to suggest or blame just possibilities).
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
I can understand 'running down' of some of the customer systems (ie. Nothing that affects safe running of a train) but I don't think that in 2018 on the UK railway no company would run down maintenance on something that has the potential to catch fire.

Other TOCs may not have had power car fires, true, but the GWR fleet is around 100 power cars now, so even on a purely numbers game they are more likely to suffer.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
Yes I guess but it was true with the 86's and 87's on WCML as they ran them down and to me it seems the same way with the GWR HST's. I can understand that the allegations are serious but as I say it's not happened to any other HST TOC's. May be its MTU that's the cause. (not trying to suggest or blame just possibilities).
Thank you for confirming what I suspected.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Well all the other TOC's that operate HST's haven't had the same problem's so its like they don't give two hoots any more.

The GWR fleet is worked harder than VTEC & EMT so you would expect them to look a bit worse cosmetically.
GWR has vastly more HSTs than other TOCs so you would expect design flaws to manifest themselves more in the GWR HSTs.

As the HSTs are being withdrawn is it not common sense that only the bare minimum is being spent on them?
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,152
Location
Cornwall
I would like to travel to Penzance on a HST before they are finally withdrawn, has any announcement been made regarding proposed withdrawal dates?

March 2019 is the planned date by which all full size GWR HST’s will be retired.
 

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
The GWR fleet is worked harder than VTEC & EMT so you would expect them to look a bit worse cosmetically.
GWR has vastly more HSTs than other TOCs so you would expect design flaws to manifest themselves more in the GWR HSTs.

As the HSTs are being withdrawn is it not common sense that only the bare minimum is being spent on them?
That is true as a percentage and GWR at the moment does like doing the bare minimum.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
The GWR fleet is worked harder than VTEC & EMT so you would expect them to look a bit worse cosmetically.
Depends how you are defining "worked harder". More stop/start work on GWR, but VTEC operate longer trains, on higher mileage diagrams than any other HST operator.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Depends how you are defining "worked harder". More stop/start work on GWR, but VTEC operate longer trains, on higher mileage diagrams than any other HST operator.

As in GWR have a much higher utilisation of their HSTs, so there's less time to fix minor costmetic faults
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
As in GWR have a much higher utilisation of their HSTs, so there's less time to fix minor costmetic faults
You might like to check the facts. From last summer when GWR had a full fleet.
GWR: 53 sets for 48 diagrams (90.6% availability). 119 power cars for 96 diagrams (80.7% availability)
VTEC: 14 sets for 13 diagrams (92.9% availability). 32 power cars for 26 diagrams (81.3% availability)
I have excluded set NL65 from the VTEC numbers as maintenance cover is from the EMT fleet.

I'd say that is conclusive that VTEC's fleet is worked harder.
 

Mathew S

Established Member
Joined
7 Aug 2017
Messages
2,167
I'd say that is conclusive that VTEC's fleet is worked harder.
For what it's worth, I'd suggest you need to consider mileage per diagram as well, and probably take stop/start vs. distance running into account too. If you're going to be 'conclusive' that is.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
For what it's worth, I'd suggest you need to consider mileage per diagram as well, and probably take stop/start vs. distance running into account too. If you're going to be 'conclusive' that is.
Fair comment, though I was replying in the context of Cactustwirly’s definition.

VTEC have a higher average mileage per diagram, though GWR’s duty cycle is more stop/start in nature.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
You might like to check the facts. From last summer when GWR had a full fleet.
GWR: 53 sets for 48 diagrams (90.6% availability). 119 power cars for 96 diagrams (80.7% availability)
VTEC: 14 sets for 13 diagrams (92.9% availability). 32 power cars for 26 diagrams (81.3% availability)
I have excluded set NL65 from the VTEC numbers as maintenance cover is from the EMT fleet.

I'd say that is conclusive that VTEC's fleet is worked harder.

It's probably a very reasonable suggestion that the stop-start nature of much of GWR's work puts significantly more strain on mechanical systems than high speed running up and down the ECML does on VTEC's machines, though.
 

goblinuser

Member
Joined
12 May 2017
Messages
292
I once encountered a driver who used to lay antibacterial hand-wipes over every instrument he was likely to touch. Possibly a bit OCD, but to an extent I don't blame him!
I've seen drivers using a folded up tea towel between anything and their hand.
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,847
We have had confirmation here at Scotrail that this was a fire in the exhaust collector box - exactly the same fault that occurred to the power car at Exeter. What has happened is that the engine has failed to fully shut down and continued to tick over very slowly causing unburned fuel to enter the exhaust. This then ignited about 10 minutes after the engine has started. We have been instructed that if the engine fails to shut down fully the fuel supply must be isolated to shut it down. No serious damage apparently.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
We have had confirmation here at Scotrail that this was a fire in the exhaust collector box - exactly the same fault that occurred to the power car at Exeter. What has happened is that the engine has failed to fully shut down and continued to tick over very slowly causing unburned fuel to enter the exhaust. This then ignited about 10 minutes after the engine has started. We have been instructed that if the engine fails to shut down fully the fuel supply must be isolated to shut it down. No serious damage apparently.

How does one tell if the engine hasn't fully shut down then? Is it still chugging away in the background at low RPMs or is it as simple as a light not extinguishing?
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,847
How does one tell if the engine hasn't fully shut down then? Is it still chugging away in the background at low RPMs or is it as simple as a light not extinguishing?
It makes a slow clunking sound as it's usually only running on 1 cylinder.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top