Manchester77
Established Member
When you have many towns, large and small without railway access, and many present stations that you need to take a long way round to journey to clogging up the main lines, which I also mentioned in previous posts.
With no local stations, just stations where we already have stations, routes that are already established (London - Birmingham, London - Manchester, London - Leeds).
I know it is for a faster line with shortened journey times, but all destinations with airline competition (less so Birmingham - London, but the time saved is less and it has three rail companys already in competition), so the benefit of time saved is negligible compared to them.
While I understand your points regarding re-opening lines it's important to understand the core motive behind HS2 which is capacity. Our three main lines are filling up with some almost at capacity. You can only do so much to add capacity before it becomes unsustainable to keep throwing millions at a line where only one extra path will be gained. Removing the intercity trains off the WCML will mean that there's more room for local services (the ones which are currently operated by London Midland) which will benefit towns along the line as they'll have an improved service with more capacity.
I think I've mentioned in a previous post that following the introduction of Virgins VHF timetable there is no room for Northern to operate extra local services to relief overcrowding. This is one way HS2 benefits local stations by freeing up space for more trains to serve them.
I think the fact that HS2 is faster is a huge benefit because it should hopefully remove the need for domestic flights which is a big benefit. You can't really argue that domestic flights are better than a LDHS train service. You don't have the hassle of checking in at an airport you just turn up and board. When you arrive you're in the city centre not on the outskirts where you have to get a train/taxi to the centre of town. Furthermore it's more environmentally friendly to have a 400m long train carrying people than multiple aircraft doing the same job.