Assuming that there is still room for a portal at Old Oak Common...
I would dig the tunnel from OOC to the slow lines of the WCML at Queens Park, where the Howarth Timber yard currently is. Rather than 5 miles, this would be <2 miles, so the tunnelling costs would be a lot less. The up slow would be slewed to the north, and two contiguous piled walls between the up and down slow would allow the dive down into the tunnel from this end. From there, international trains would use the slow WCML lines to South Hampstead, and then the North London Line through Camden to access St Pancras.
And then the passengers to London (on one half of the train) would get off, to be replaced by International passengers from London. This could be done at platforms 5 and 6 of St Pancras, with an additional set of escalators down to the concourse roughly where the Oliver Bonas is/was (ie near the ticket office). That way, you've justified running a full service on HS2, and you've allowed for international services. Eurostar will soon be doing this with trains from Amsterdam at Brussels, so they should have the procedures sorted by then.
This would require international facilities at the larger HS2 stations (eg OOC, Birmingham International, Curzon Street and Man Pic). I said one half of the train before: this could be any proportion of the train, as long as the facilities at each station allowed it. You could have different proportions of the train be domestic/international, depending on the tickets sold in advance. Assuming first class at the ends (ie class 374), open up four standard class carriages: two at the domestic end and two at the international end. As bookings progress, open up more carriages to domestic/international depending on ticket sales until they've met in the middle or the departure time comes. For a 16-carriage train this could be rationalised to 4/16, 6/10, 8/8, 10/6 and 16/4 to make it easier. This would be controlled by selective door opening and lockable doors on the train, and gates on the platforms. I wouldn't run internationals in the peak times for HS2; just outside (say one or two before 7:30 into London and the rest after 09:30 into London), so only off-peak capacity would be used. International passengers' needs are different to domestic commuters'.
I would also consider some international trains from Watford Junction, using the land to the north of the station. Remember: in a post-HS2 world there is a lot more availability on the WCML These would also use the same lines to access St Pancras and pick up more passengers before HS1. Some international trains would terminate at St Pancras, some would travel on to Watford Junction, and some would travel on to HS2 via Old Oak Common. If I could find a way to get trains from the HS1 link onto the GWR, I would also do this. (Bristol, Cardiff, Reading and Oxford International, anyone?)
Not part of the international offer, but during construction of HS2, I would take out an extra two platforms' worth of Euston services, by running them over the same lines into St Pancras using the same route and platforms. This would make more space available at Euston, and could possibly simplify / make cheaper the construction process. This would also serve Camden Road Station. This may require some re-jigging of fences/hoarding around St Pancras, but that wouldn't be impossible.
Speaking of Camden Road, the platforms currently in use may have to be moved back to make room for HS2 trains. (I don't know, I just assume so.)
Interlaced track could allow HS2 services to get past the platforms while NLL services served the station, but I would move the NLL service to the northern two (currently disused) platforms. I would also remove the bottleneck around Camden Road so keep trains to/from Kentish town separate from freight/HS2 traffic. Basically I would widen to 4 tracks between Kentish Town Road and Camden Road Station with approximately 100 metres of new viaduct, and 500 metres of disused trackbed to the east. This would eliminate any impact on existing NLL services from the HS2-HS1 link, which was one of the sticking points originally.