If I was to guess you're going to do that exam, how about you have a go at it first then the likes of me (go figure how I recognise it) tell you what we think of your answer (in constructive terms). I honestly think that might help you more. Practising answering the questions is more help than someone telling you the answer to past questions. Apologies in advance if my guess is wrongHow would you tackle this? I appreciate any advice.
.It is an exam question, but I see your point. The people who run stations like that know the answer already thoughthat's not an exam question, that's somebody looking for free consultancy.....
If I was to guess you're going to do that exam, how about you have a go at it first then the likes of me (go figure how I recognise it) tell you what we think of your answer (in constructive terms). I honestly think that might help you more. Practising answering the questions is more help than someone telling you the answer to past questions. Apologies in advance if my guess is wrong.
Broadly speaking, the Institution of Railway Signal Engineers exam is self study. If someone gets to a question like this and has no idea, I would suggest they read/do the things suggested in the study guide on their website. Once they've done that it's worth practising past paper questions to get used to the timings and the way of answering them. A critique of those answers from suitably knowledgeable engineers may help. Giving an answer or partial answers, not so muchI don’t understand. Is this ”test first, lesson later”? In general, right, it’s the other way round.
In the classes you attend combined with assessed homework afterwards you should be given the knowledge and skills to tackle this.
Slightly before my time, but the design of the ‘new’ Waverley somewhat lent itself to that sort of approach, being split up into “bite-size” chunks in the form of the Apparatus Rooms dotted around the area (from memory, seven of them).Edinburgh Waverley (21 platforms), 1976/1977 winter Resignalling. Started with weekend closure in Princes Street Gardens cutting for new track layout to be installed, commission to new signalling at the Haymarket end and fringe to existing miniature lever frame at the Mound Tunnel. Then progressively close and reconfigure the track layout and resignal the four corners of the layout, new signalling commissioned every couple of weekends. Finish off with new signalling commissioned at the Calton Tunnel end fringed to Portobello existing Signalling. The job was great for overtime, and good for experience early on in my career.
Follow that up with Victoria Southern Region, but that’s a terminal station.
The rules for such work have changed since then with preference to close everything for days or weeks, I’ll leave that to others to discuss new vs. old practices.