py_megapixel
Established Member
What is the July/August easement?You obviously don't understand the reason for the July and August easement - arguably the split should be 16-23 and 24-30 but I guess there isn't the political will to change that.
What is the July/August easement?You obviously don't understand the reason for the July and August easement - arguably the split should be 16-23 and 24-30 but I guess there isn't the political will to change that.
The minimum fare does not apply in July and August consistent with school / University holidays when people may be travelling or doing a summer job or even volunteering. By the time they are 26 they are likely to be commuting.What is the July/August easement?
The minimum fare does not apply in July and August consistent with school / University holidays when people may be travelling or doing a summer job or even volunteering. By the time they are 26 they are likely to be commuting.
I think the intention of the restriction is that Students do pay full fare for what are often 'bus stop'-length journeys and have discounts for long-distance travel so complete removal of the minimum fare does not make sense. Removal of the restriction in July and August for the 'Student' group makes sense as I have already written.Arguably in that case it should be a Student Railcard and a separate Young Person's Railcard, with the former having the exception (perhaps always valid all day) and the latter not.
Because British rail companies do not accept Deutsche Bahn productsIs there any reason why the Deutsche Bahn Bahncard won't work here?
Is there any reason why the Deutsche Bahn Bahncard won't work here? Even the Bahn 25 would be worth a lot more personally to me then a Network Railcard or a Two Together Railcard.
It depends on which one you get, the cheapest is 9 euros and the most expensive is 6,812 euros but if you look at what they offer with it, I think they're worth far more then the existing railcards in the UK.There are a number of proposals upthread for a "National Railcard" which is basically that, with a similarly high price. How much is the DB card now? Over 100 quid I think?
I think in some years my personal Railcards would have paid for themselves just on my travel for work stuff, which saved my employer a few quidSo much hate for the Network Railcard (from those unable to use it). On this basis I would be demanding products like the WYPTE MCard (£46 a week bus and rail zones 1-5) and similar PTE schemes were scrapped, because I don't have need to use them
The basis of the Network Railcard hasn't changed since its inception:
- The South East has a very large and very long fleet of trains to cope with its uniquely large peak demand
- The South East has disproportionately high peak and off-peak fares (compared to the north west, say)
- The off peak period needs to be monetised given the high overheads of its fleet and infrastructure, and the "NSE" discount is a way to stimulate off-peak travel
- The commuting and business demand needs to be managed - i.e. encourage travellers onto less busy trains
- COVID aside, the South East operators in general receive less government net support in real terms and per passenger mile (page 9 of https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/media/1547/rail-finance-statistical-release-2018-19.pdf relates). Northern already cost the taxpayer £800m a year before COVID happened,
Yes the validity area isn't perfect but it's a few historical anomalies at the extremes rather than systematic.
If anything they need to promote it more and provide similar products in other cities (or just use the current subsidy and "10p ticket" schemes).
I would say even now though, it is not a product that well known outside of regular travellers (dare I say enthusiasts) and Money Saving Expert types. I encourage my colleagues to get one (and claim the cost back from the company) as it pays back quite quickly for business trips to London, Heathrow or Gatwick. One would say that business travel isn't what it's aimed at, and that's probably true, but for airport runs, if I was paying full fare it would make more sense for the company to hire me a car at its corporate rate one way and I'd drive to Heathrow.

I save them a few quid splitting tickets and taking slower routes too (typically not via London)!I think in some years my personal Railcards would have paid for themselves just on my travel for work stuff, which saved my employer a few quid![]()
The train fare for one person is going to be closer to the cost of a car journey than the train fare for two people even with the two together railcard. Doesn't seem perverse at all.However, it does seem a bit perverse that lone travellers aren't encouraged on to the railway when single car occupancy is massively inefficient and environmentally damaging.
Yes, the cost of motoring needs to increase.I think something will have to give in the next decade or so and hopefully either rail fares can be made cheaper or a rail card can be developed for all users.
If the object is to get people to use trains instead of cars perhaps there should be a car owners Railcard? Those without a car have to use public transport and are a captive market.
Those without a car have to use public transport and are a captive market.
That's why I said public transport rather than train.Or like the song, we could just take the National Express instead (I'd think again on that one).
So the question becomes "are railcards there to help poorer people afford to travel by train more often or are they to maximise revenue?" Do they succeed in either or both?Only for essential journeys. Other journeys are discretional.
It is a marketing tool to sell capacity that would otherwise be empty, pure and simple. By tailoring a number of cards to specific groups of passengers with different validity restrictions, the demand can be directed to very specific services. As far as the railway is concerned it isn't broken so it doesn't need fixing, only a few tweaks maybe.That's why I said public transport rather than train.
So the question becomes "are railcards there to help poorer people afford to travel by train more often or are they to maximise revenue?" Do they succeed in either or both?
That illustrates precisesly why there is no need to try and fix all of the different cards with a single offering. Each type addresses a specific market which means that relatively little revenue is lost by opportunistic use. By keeping most card holders off oversubscribed expensive-to-provide peak services, there isn't the loss of the premium that is required to pay for them. If regular travellers start paying 34% less for their fares, then everybody else will have to pay more for their off-peak travel, which means that those trains will run empty. The season ticket subsidy already makes the peaks worse anyway.I think to simplify things is one single Railcard product with the same terms and conditions except Disabled railcard which has a different T&C due to disabilty.
Now that would be a sensible thing to do although lounge access might be a problem.There is the initial upfront cost of buying it, to recoup it you would travel more, the more you travel the more you save, to make more money from it is to sell add on product such as lounge access, discounted food and drinks, discounted rail parking.....
It's a thought, rail companies can sell related products on top of the fares from the potentially increased footfall.
I'm not sure how me using my Senior Railcard to get a discount on a peak time journey which is full and standing is selling capacity that would otherwise be empty?It is a marketing tool to sell capacity that would otherwise be empty, pure and simple. By tailoring a number of cards to specific groups of passengers with different validity restrictions, the demand can be directed to very specific services. As far as the railway is concerned it isn't broken so it doesn't need fixing, only a few tweaks maybe.
That illustrates precisesly why there is no need to try and fix all of the different cards with a single offering.
I'm not sure how me using my Senior Railcard to get a discount on a peak time journey which is full and standing is selling capacity that would otherwise be empty?
I wonder if any work has been done to determine whether peak time business travellers using their disabled or senior railcards is revenue-positive, neutral or negative?Many so called peak journeys aren't. Most Avanti morning peak services are half empty because they are priced for maximum income, not maximum bums-on-seats.
Someone who would pay full price was put off because you made it a bit fuller.I'm not sure how me using my Senior Railcard to get a discount on a peak time journey which is full and standing is selling capacity that would otherwise be empty?
Wholly in the network card area you wouldn’t be able to use your Senior Railcard on a morning peak service. Maybe that’s a “be careful what you ask for” case…I'm not sure how me using my Senior Railcard to get a discount on a peak time journey which is full and standing is selling capacity that would otherwise be empty?
Personally, I am actually retired from work and try to avoid crowded trains but I might occasionally start a long journey at peak time to maximise my time at my destination or avoid antisocial behaviour on late night services.Someone who would pay full price was put off because you made it a bit fuller.
What use do Seniors make of their peak time discount that isn’t the same work commute they did before the premature qualification for the railcard?
Most peak demand is in the south-east where the Senior Railcard cannot be used before the end of morning peak* services. Outside the south-east the few Senior Railcard morning peak users presumably aren't seen as a major problem.I'm not sure how me using my Senior Railcard to get a discount on a peak time journey which is full and standing is selling capacity that would otherwise be empty?
The problem there is keeping it revenue neutral, - probably much more difficult than with targeted cards.I think I'd answer that "but simplicity is a strong benefit in and of itself".
On a Swiss ticket machine, there are two levels of fare. Full price and half-price. You pick full price if you are not eligible for any discount. You pick half price if you are eligible for any discount - they are all exactly the same - child or the various demographic or full-price Halbtax cards.
Genuinely simple.
I do get that we might want to go for 3 levels - child at 50% but 34% for Railcards - but that's where it should end. The 16-17 Saver is a particularly irritating product - just extend child fares to the 18th birthday. I suppose there's even an argument, like the BIJ EuroYouth product that used to exist on international routes, just to allow 34% discount for age 24 and under without any sort of card, though how to prove it might be an issue unless we get a national ID card at some point.
I think across GB the use of Senior Cards for regular commuting is probably less than some here imagine. Anecdotes don't really count as confirmation. If it was damaging to revenue, the south-east restriction would have been extended at least around major commuter cities.Someone who would pay full price was put off because you made it a bit fuller.
What use do Seniors make of their peak time discount that isn’t the same work commute they did before the premature qualification for the railcard?
Indeed, it is inexplicable why the restriction that applies in the South East from the early 1990s on use of the Senior Railcard wasn't extended more widely. It is hardly complicated - it simply says that the railcard isn't valid until off-peak fares are available - perhaps as AM9 says, it isn't seen as a problem if a few people over 60 get a cheaper commute.I'm not sure how me using my Senior Railcard to get a discount on a peak time journey which is full and standing is selling capacity that would otherwise be empty?
I think its probably Bureau International Jeunesse https://www.lebij.be/I do get that we might want to go for 3 levels - child at 50% but 34% for Railcards - but that's where it should end. The 16-17 Saver is a particularly irritating product - just extend child fares to the 18th birthday. I suppose there's even an argument, like the BIJ* EuroYouth product that used to exist on international routes, just to allow 34% discount for age 24 and under without any sort of card, though how to prove it might be an issue unless we get a national ID card at some point.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
* I don't know what this stands for, sorry. I suspect the second two letters are "internationale Jugend" (international youth) or somesuch.