Hi all,
I am wondering what are your thoughts on the usefulness of the West London Orbital route?
Personally, I am struggling to see who would be its target audience. It won’t enable that many direct journeys, as there are practically no major destinations along its route, and when it comes to journey with transfers that can be done using it, they already can be done with a change at West Hampstead.
Linking NLL to Hounslow loop looks kinda useful, but IMO it could been done with a new interchange station when the lines intersect. Even then I am not sure how much it is really needed given that you can get to the places on the Hounslow Loop using the Tube through Acton and if you need to get further away you can just change at Richmond.
I am slightly concerned by the operational challenges this line with pose, as it would share the tracks with the EMR/Thameslink (MML), NLL, SWR and the freight services. An issue on one of those lines could cascade to others as well. Besides, is there enough on the MML to accommodate those services without disrupting EMR and TL? As I understand it, they would use the fast lines used by the EMR services that don’t stop on any of those stations? Also the Dudding Hill line is now freight-only, which means that the freight trains can be held there before they are allowed to join the mainlines, to minimise disruptions to passenger services. If we are sending passenger trains down this line, then we can no longer do that, unless we hold them as well, which doesn’t really make it a good passenger experience.
In short, I am not convinced that this line would be very useful to justify the spending, and that if built it would solve more problems than it would create. But I would be happy to change my mind - as a train enthusiast I would like to see and ride a new line going through places that haven’t seen passengers for more than a century!
What do you think about it?
I am wondering what are your thoughts on the usefulness of the West London Orbital route?
Personally, I am struggling to see who would be its target audience. It won’t enable that many direct journeys, as there are practically no major destinations along its route, and when it comes to journey with transfers that can be done using it, they already can be done with a change at West Hampstead.
Linking NLL to Hounslow loop looks kinda useful, but IMO it could been done with a new interchange station when the lines intersect. Even then I am not sure how much it is really needed given that you can get to the places on the Hounslow Loop using the Tube through Acton and if you need to get further away you can just change at Richmond.
I am slightly concerned by the operational challenges this line with pose, as it would share the tracks with the EMR/Thameslink (MML), NLL, SWR and the freight services. An issue on one of those lines could cascade to others as well. Besides, is there enough on the MML to accommodate those services without disrupting EMR and TL? As I understand it, they would use the fast lines used by the EMR services that don’t stop on any of those stations? Also the Dudding Hill line is now freight-only, which means that the freight trains can be held there before they are allowed to join the mainlines, to minimise disruptions to passenger services. If we are sending passenger trains down this line, then we can no longer do that, unless we hold them as well, which doesn’t really make it a good passenger experience.
In short, I am not convinced that this line would be very useful to justify the spending, and that if built it would solve more problems than it would create. But I would be happy to change my mind - as a train enthusiast I would like to see and ride a new line going through places that haven’t seen passengers for more than a century!
What do you think about it?