tell them before the last mandatory stop before yours. go and find them if necessary.I had a sudden epiphany the other day that I didn’t know how to request a train to stop when boarding a train. Do I go speak to the guard at the stop before or when I board the train? Thanks
Just thought I’d checkI’m asking about boarding a train at a station (say Exeter) and requesting it to stop at a booked request stop (say Yeoford)

I understand that if there is no one wanting off, the guard will give "two" on the buzzer (right away) to the driver on approach to the request stop (the driver resonding in acknowledgement). Thus unless anyone wishes to board, the driver will pass the request stop.On some routes drivers and guards use the buzzers to communicate about impending possible request stops but I've never been sure as to the official status of this practice.
Yes I think that's how it works on the Barnstaple branch and the driver gives one buzz back if stopping and two if not.I understand that if there is no one wanting off, the guard will give "two" on the buzzer (right away) to the driver on approach to the request stop (the driver resonding in acknowledgement). Thus unless anyone wishes to board, the driver will pass the request stop.
If the driver doesn't receive two buzzes, they will stop. That effectively makes it failsafe, if the guard forgets to buzz, the driver will stop anyway.
This is how the North Warwick works too (4 stops between Moor St/Stratford)I always acknowledge the waiting passenger with a toot on the horn, so they know I'm stopping. Our guards don't bother with the buzzer, they tell the driver which request stops, if any that we need to call at. If the driver doesn't get told by the guard, we stop anyway.
It may be better to shine the torch on your hand / arm as this makes it a bit easier for the driver to see the request to board. I've done this a few times and had no problem, I did have one driver say to me that the way I did it was the best approach as some people simply wave the torch around or shine it towards the driver not realising that they're blinding the driver.If hailing a train after dark, I was advised to use a torch and shine it on the track just in front of the train and not in the driver's face, and don't wave it up and down.
Don’t do this. The driver will be able to see you, even in the dark. Waving a torch around means danger to a driver who may put the train into an emergency brake. The tracks are darker than the platform so the driver may think someone’s fallen on them.If hailing a train after dark, I was advised to use a torch and shine it on the track just in front of the train and not in the driver's face, and don't wave it up and down.