• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to obtain reservations for ranger tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Hi

I am planning to do a Cheshire day ranger trip on one Saturday and was looking to see if I can get reservations if on a ranger ticket. Upon summoning Google, Red spotted Hanky gave me this:

RedSpottedHanky said:
Seats can be reserved on most train operator services subject to availability. Reserving a seat is optional for the following ticket categories:
Standard Anytime
Standard Off-Peak
Rangers and Rovers (including BritRail)
Weekender-Superbreak (and other Inclusive tour tickets)
Standard Super Off-Peak-Season tickets
If you are travelling on an Advance ticket or a Business Package your seat reservation is included with your ticket. The details of your seat reservations will be printed along with your tickets and this information is also held in Your Account.

Things to note about seat reservations:
Only one seat reservation can be made per single journey
If you did not reserve a seat at the point of purchase we cannot guarantee you a seat, particularly at peak times.
In most cases you can board a train without a reservation if you hold an open ticket, however, there will be exceptions to this such as during busy periods (e.g. Christmas and some Bank Holidays).

My question is, how do I go about obtaining reservations for the trips I will make? I will be making quite a few trips. My first guess is that you ask at the ticket office for them, but the thing is I will be starting at Ellesmere Port and going to Helsby, so I will have to buy the ranger off the guard on the day as I want the ranger issued from an Avantix mobile (for my ticket collection, yes weird I know). As I will be getting the ticket on the day, is it not possible to get the reservations beforehand without a ranger ticket in my possession as I know you can't do reservations on the day. How would I go about this? If I can't make reservations if I get the ranger on the day, how do I get them the ranger ticket is brought in advance? Is it essential I buy the ranger beforehand if I want reservations, even?

Many thanks for help guys :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex17595

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2013
Messages
1,160
Location
Burton on Trent
You will have to go to the station in advance with your itinerary and the ticket clerk should give you reservations (provided they are available.) You might as well get the ranger while you are there.
 

156441

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2011
Messages
501
Location
Manchester
If your near a station that has trains starting/terminating there nip down and ask one of the guards if he could quickly do you one and post date it (just a case of changing the date on the rover selection screen).

Then you could make your reservations!!

I'd ask yourself if your really going to need reservations on a Saturday though. Bear in mind you can't reserve on Northern/Merseyrail and most ATW services I can't really see the point?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
The method suggested by 156441 might be the easiest. You can't normally obtain reservations at ticket offices without a ticket.

Another alternative is do it via telesales.
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
OK thanks, guys! I will probably ask the guard doing the parliamentary at Ellesmere Port if he could issue me with a post dated Cheshire Day Ranger from his Avantix. Is there any reason why he/she could refuse and are they perfectly allowed as I wouldnt want to get them in trouble! 156441-when you say make your reservations, do you mean from the guard? Or will I have to go to the ticket office?

As for reservations, I like to get them where I can to ensure a seat. Thanks guys!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
You can't make reservations on an Avantix machine as it is not connected to the central database. You will have to do it at a ticket office.

Not every guard is happy to sell Ranger tickets more than a few days in advance. If one says no, just accept it and try someone else.
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Yes of course, if I don't get an Avantix issued ranger it's not the end of the world. If I go to ELP tomorrow and I manage to obtain one I will make the reservations at the ticket office over the bridge.
CHeers
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
I was also wondering if you can make reservations with a season ticket?
 

156441

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2011
Messages
501
Location
Manchester
Guard should have no problem is during it. Having said that I think it's a Lime Street guard though so getting them to do anything might be hard!!
 

156441

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2011
Messages
501
Location
Manchester
Yes sarcasm mate. Lime St guards arn't massive fans of work! Also yes you spotted the typo. It's my iPhone autocorrecting stuff!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top