• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to know if you've passed Driver Assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
9 Jun 2018
Messages
44
Hi guys,

Sorry for the odd title.

Some time ago I applied for Depot Driver for SWT (at the time) and was invited to an assessment day. Following that assessment day I was invited to interview. I subsequently failed at interview.

Now, as I understand it, you only get a limited number of attempts at applying for driver. Are the attempts at the assessments only, or the interview also?

How long does my assessment day pass mark stay valid?

I ask because I am toying with the idea of applying again in the future, but don't want to end up blacklisted.

I've subsequently been employed by SWR in a different role so it is possible that internal applicants are handled differently? I would rather not ask colleagues/management at the moment, I wouldn't hear the end of it.

Thanks for your time.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crebbs1

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2018
Messages
164
Was your interview a MMI which was taken by OPC or was it a DMI?
 
Joined
9 Jun 2018
Messages
44
My interview was with the Depot Manager and a member of HR/Recruitment, so I assume that's DMI as opposed to an external company (apologies if i've misunderstood the acronyms).
 

OneLowban

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
693
The MMI is part of assessments and lasts 3-5 years usually - TOC dependant.

DMIs are unlimited but usually a 6 month wait with said TOC if you fail it with them.

You are free to have a DMI elsewhere right away if you fail it.
 

sw1ller

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2013
Messages
1,567
Yeah, sounds like you passed. The MMI are hit and miss, apply away. I would recommend getting in touch with the OPC to see if you passed at standard or enhanced though.
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
The process for depot driver with SWR/T is different to mainline as I found out in similar circumstances to you. I was told that I was invited to an MMI, and SWT insisted this was an MMI and I took that as accurate, however I’ve since done an MMI and now know that the one I took back in 2015 was actually a DMI and not an MMI. The way they differ for depot drivers with SWR is they seem to do the DMI first, whereas mainline drivers do the MMI first I believe. This all adds to the confusion.

Also, OPC don’t do the assesments for SWR, as they’re handled by SWR directly. Unless things have changed recently?
 

Peeler

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2019
Messages
92
The process for depot driver with SWR/T is different to mainline as I found out in similar circumstances to you. I was told that I was invited to an MMI, and SWT insisted this was an MMI and I took that as accurate, however I’ve since done an MMI and now know that the one I took back in 2015 was actually a DMI and not an MMI. The way they differ for depot drivers with SWR is they seem to do the DMI first, whereas mainline drivers do the MMI first I believe. This all adds to the confusion.

Also, OPC don’t do the assesments for SWR, as they’re handled by SWR directly. Unless things have changed recently?

You are correct only SWR also do the DMI first before MMI so it goes. Application > Sift > 1 days assessment centre > DMI > MMI > Medical
 

severussnape

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2019
Messages
85
Last year I failed an online assessment the VSE with virgin. I have contacted OPC to see if that counts as a life lost. The reply wasn't very clear, I'm still none the wiser. I really don't think it's fair if it is a life lost due to not being in assesment conditions. Does anyone have any information on this ? Cheers !
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Last year I failed an online assessment the VSE with virgin. I have contacted OPC to see if that counts as a life lost. The reply wasn't very clear, I'm still none the wiser. I really don't think it's fair if it is a life lost due to not being in assesment conditions. Does anyone have any information on this ? Cheers !
This has been discussed here before and I agree, it’s not clear and certainly shouldn’t count. I always understood that it doesn’t count, but you can’t take one less than 6 months after failing one, even if you apply to another TOC, and if you pass; If the TOC or FOC uses the VSE, that also counts as a pass and is valid for a year I believe?

I was told it didn’t count as a life lost and as far as I’m concerned it’s not part of the train driver psychometric testing. I’ve not been impressed with how unclear the OPC seem to be with things, especially as these assessments are their bread and butter so they should be the gurus with the process, surely?
 

Peeler

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2019
Messages
92
It should be clear to you if you undertake an assessment that would count as a lifetime one as before you do it you have to read and sign a declaration to consent to the information being recorded on the national rail DB and confirming you agree for your details to be searched on the same said DB. So if you signed this declaration you have taken one of the regulated tests.
 
Last edited:

Cyclist

Member
Joined
5 May 2018
Messages
333
You can send the OPC a GDPR request for your data if you want a list of what you've passed and failed.
 
Joined
9 Jun 2018
Messages
44
Apologies for not replying sooner, thank you all for your replies.

I think I will contact the OPC just to confirm either way.

Thanks again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top