• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to change TGV Interrail if necessary

Teapot42

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2022
Messages
1,134
I'm currently at St Pancras and it looks like Eurostar services are being delayed due to what they are calling power issues in the tunnel.

I've only got 1h23 to get from Nord to Lyon to make my onwards train to Geneva and Vevey.

I can get a train just over an hour later via Lausanne, but how do I go about changing the booking as it's a different route and doesn't go via Geneva? Do I just make a new booking and write the old one off?

Hopefully I'll make the connection as things are moving, just delayed, but better know what to do in advance if not ..
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,397
Location
Bedford
Is it a First Class pass? If so - you *may* be able to use the 'TGV INOUI PRO' app to self-serve rebooking.

Otherwise, it's probably easiest to sort this at the Gare de Lyon ticket office/information point.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,770
Location
UK
What kind of ticket do you have - an Interrail pass with reservations, or a regular ticket?

The AGC (Agreement on Journey Continuation) and HOTNAT (Hop On The Next Available Train) agreements allow you to be rebooked onto a later service free of charge in either case, so you certainly shouldn't pay anything extra.

However this rebooking needs to be done at the station ticket office so you need to hope there's enough time to do so before the next service, and that seats are left at that point.

Given you're traveling to Vevey your last connection would on paper be at 18:30 but that would involve the use of a Trenitalia service which isn't included in Interrail and which SNCF likely won't rebook you onto. There's an 18:18 TGV to Geneva which looks to have a few seats left or alternatively a 20:18 which has an onward connection as far as Lausanne (it'd be a taxi from there).

If you have an Interrail reservation, these can be refunded until 30 mins after departure, so if there is availability at the same price on another service then you may prefer to book a new reservation and then cancel your original one.
 

Teapot42

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2022
Messages
1,134
Thanks both.

It's an Interrail with reservation.

Luckily the delay isn't as bad as it first appeared, so there is a chance I'll make the original train, especially as I'm fairly lightly loaded with luggage.

The next option is the 1730, I'll see what the I get to Gare de Lyon and play it from there.
 

mad_rich

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Messages
591
Location
Newcastle
Hopefully you made it!

Yeah, as above I would consider rebooking through Inoui Pro if you can do (for free), and only then if you're pretty sure you'll miss it. You can also present yourself at the ticket office at Gare de Lyon and ask for free rebooking.

Interrail is very flexible in this regard. You can also ditch your existing reservation and make a new one if necessary, and either refund the unnecessary one (if you have time) or let it go unused and claim one or the other back from Interrail.

@Watershed
Trenitalia is now included (and only €13 for a domestic or international reservation). Indeed, SNCF won't rebook, but the passenger can DIY.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,770
Location
UK
Ah that's good news. I'd not caught that change. At only €13 it is probably the cheapest option for the journey!
 

Top