• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to calculate compensation. No reservation and part standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
29 Aug 2012
Messages
472
Not really a dispute. I just wondered what compensation is due on this rather odd scenario. I held an Off-Peak London Underground Zone 1 to Harwich International First Class Return. I paid £58.20 for the ticket. The outward journey was very pleasant in a refurbished train.

On the return on the 31st of October initially everything went well from Harwich International to Manningtree. I had a seat reservation on the 10.53 from Manningtree to Liverpool Street. The previous train was cancelled so my train was very crowded. My seat reservation was not put out and there were no seats available in First class. I ended up standing to Chelmsford (at 11.27) in Standard Class. From then on I was lucky to get a seat in Standard Class. It tried to speak to the Train Manager but I could not get through the train after the first few carriages.

To summarise my seat reservation in First Class was not honoured. I had to stand for part of my journey. I had a seat in Standard Class for part of my journey. I am not unhappy as I understand these things happen.

Greater Anglia are offering me the cost of the difference between First and Standard Class for this journey. No amount is yet stated. I have to send off my tickets. I wonder how they calculate compensation in these situation where you have a First class reservation but have to stand for part of the journey and have a seat in Standard Class for part of the journey.

On another note Great Anglia took only a week to respond to my email. I thought that was pretty good.

Thank you, Stephen.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,497
Location
Yorkshire
In theory, the difference between Standard and 1st for the part of the journey where you had to stand.

But that's difficult to calculate.

A fair amount would be the difference between Standard and 1st Return divided by two, to cover the return portion, which would be £7.95
 
Joined
29 Aug 2012
Messages
472
In theory, the difference between Standard and 1st for the part of the journey where you had to stand.

But that's difficult to calculate.

A fair amount would be the difference between Standard and 1st Return divided by two, to cover the return portion, which would be £7.95


Thank you. That seems sensible.

Best wishes, Stephen.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
The calculation should surely be simply the cost between First and Standard fare for the relevant leg of the journey. It doesn't matther whether you were standing or seated, it is only relevant that you weren't able to travel in the First Class carriage that you paid for.
 
Joined
29 Aug 2012
Messages
472
Thank you. Purely out of interest. I was compensated the difference in cost between First and Standard. My first class seat reservation was not honoured and I had to stand. I wonder how they would have calculated compensation if a standard class reservation was not honoured and you had to stand.

I will say Greater Anglia dealt with my compensation very quickly and without making it difficult.

Best wishes, Stephen.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Thank you. Purely out of interest. I was compensated the difference in cost between First and Standard. My first class seat reservation was not honoured and I had to stand. I wonder how they would have calculated compensation if a standard class reservation was not honoured and you had to stand.

I will say Greater Anglia dealt with my compensation very quickly and without making it difficult.

Best wishes, Stephen.

No calculation should apply for a missing reservation, as the passenger would still have travelled. In that case it should be seen as a customer service issue and dealt with accordingly. Rail Travel Vouchers would be the most likely outcome, I expect. The exception of course would be if a particular TOC has it as part of their passenger charter to refund in those circumstances.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top