• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to book bike space reservations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
Booked tickets for a friend who travelled down to Sheffield today. She's going to be taking a bike back up to Glasgow with her. How do I go about getting her bike reservations for her return service next week? She's traveling on the 16:11 to Manchester (and then Glasgow), which is often rammed. After reading the conditions of carriage, I understand that the guard has the right to refuse bikes onboard in such circumstances. If this occurs, what is the validity of her advance tickets on following services, and would she need to book another bike space if she had to take a quieter service?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shimbleshanks

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
1,285
Location
Purley
Booked tickets for a friend who travelled down to Sheffield today. She's going to be taking a bike back up to Glasgow with her. How do I go about getting her bike reservations for her return service next week? She's traveling on the 16:11 to Manchester (and then Glasgow), which is often rammed. After reading the conditions of carriage, I understand that the guard has the right to refuse bikes onboard in such circumstances. If this occurs, what is the validity of her advance tickets on following services, and would she need to book another bike space if she had to take a quieter service?

She will need a cycle reservation for both services and as you have already booked the tickets, you probably have no option but to either ring the customer services for the train company (Transpennine Express presumably). Their website says phone 0845 600 1674 Monday - Friday between 08:00 and 20:00, no mention of Saturdays or weekends) or call in at a manned station.

If you have booked her advanced tickets tied to a specific train, I suggest you do this as soon as possible; if you can't get the bike reservations for the specific trains booked, then you would either have to leave the bike behind or rebook the journey for a train for which you can get reservations.

If you can't get bike reservations, you could try turning up and getting on the train with the bike, and hoping for the best, but I wouldn't recommend it.
 

Shimbleshanks

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
1,285
Location
Purley
Booked tickets for a friend who travelled down to Sheffield today. She's going to be taking a bike back up to Glasgow with her. How do I go about getting her bike reservations for her return service next week? She's traveling on the 16:11 to Manchester (and then Glasgow), which is often rammed. After reading the conditions of carriage, I understand that the guard has the right to refuse bikes onboard in such circumstances. If this occurs, what is the validity of her advance tickets on following services, and would she need to book another bike space if she had to take a quieter service?

Probably not much help now, but the Redspottedhanky site does now allow you to make cycle reservations at the same time as booking your ticket and passenger reservation. Don't think the Trainline does though.
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
Probably not much help now, but the Redspottedhanky site does now allow you to make cycle reservations at the same time as booking your ticket and passenger reservation. Don't think the Trainline does though.

VTEC also allow you to reserve bike spaces online (for any operator).
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
If you have a twitter account, you can tweet XC and normally they are more than happy to place a bike/seat reservation!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,493
Location
Yorkshire
VTEC also allow you to reserve bike spaces online (for any operator).
Yes, any site powered by Atos WebTIS should be able to do it. I can't think of any other provider who has this facility, that I'm aware of.

I'm surprised Trainline don't do it.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,361
I have just gone to a station with a manned ticket office, showed my ticket and asked for the bike reservations to be made. It doesn't seem to have caused a problem, on VTWC and LM anyway.
 

Shimbleshanks

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
1,285
Location
Purley
Yes, any site powered by Atos WebTIS should be able to do it. I can't think of any other provider who has this facility, that I'm aware of.

I'm surprised Trainline don't do it.

Not absolutely sure that they don't, tbh. I did a 'dry run' without actually paying for a ticket and it didn't seem to offer the bike reservation at any stage of the process. But it could be that it pops up after you've parted with your money, or something like that.
 

Shimbleshanks

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
1,285
Location
Purley
I have just gone to a station with a manned ticket office, showed my ticket and asked for the bike reservations to be made. It doesn't seem to have caused a problem, on VTWC and LM anyway.

Glad you got that sorted. Ticket office staff who are on the ball are often the easiest bet if you're handy for a station - though in my experience their level of knowledge varies hugely. I'd never get staff at any of our local south London stations to do a bike reservation as they take forever and then get them all wrong. (In fairness because they rarely get asked to do them.) Virgin staff at Euston seem to be very good, though, probably because it's a more usual thing for them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top