• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How the Victorians Built Britain - Channel 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,931
Location
Exeter
Did anyone watch the first episode of this Michael Buerk series on Saturday?

He covered the beginnings of the London Underground, the tram network and the bicycle. The programme feature a trip on Metropolitan Railway 0-4-4T no. 1 on the Epping - Ongar Railway. He maintained that this loco used to pull passengers through the Metropolitan tunnels. A better example would have been A class no 23 in the LT Museum. My understanding is that no. 1 and others of the E class was used between Baker Street and Aylesbury, very little of which is underground. This line was electrified to Harrow and Uxbridge in 1905 soon after construction of the E class. They were gradually moved on to less strenuous work on branch line, and freight and engineering trains.

My question is - did the E class start their lives with condensing equipment and, if so, when was it removed? Same for the F class 0-6-2T, I suppose.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,970
Location
Airedale
There is a photo of no.1 with a condensing pipe on the opening day of the Uxbridge branch in Gadsden, Metropolitan Steam, and a photo of no.77 here: http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/stories/pages.php?enum=LE130&pnum=14&maxp=18
I presume they might have worked through to Aldgate. Clearly, the equipment was later removed, but I can't find a date, but the Extension was electrified to Harrow by 1907 or so, after which it would not have been needed.
The Fs were goods locos and I can't find anything to say they were fitted. My memory is that the Smithfield traffic was the only freight on the original line and this was worked by the GWR.
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,931
Location
Exeter
There is a photo of no.1 with a condensing pipe on the opening day of the Uxbridge branch in Gadsden, Metropolitan Steam, and a photo of no.77 here: http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/stories/pages.php?enum=LE130&pnum=14&maxp=18
I presume they might have worked through to Aldgate. Clearly, the equipment was later removed, but I can't find a date, but the Extension was electrified to Harrow by 1907 or so, after which it would not have been needed.
The Fs were goods locos and I can't find anything to say they were fitted. My memory is that the Smithfield traffic was the only freight on the original line and this was worked by the GWR.
Thanks, that's great. First photo I've seen of a E class with condensing pipe. As you say, the F class was a freight loco.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top