• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How reliable is the overnight Thameslink service Three Bridges-St Pancras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,114
I am catching the 06.16 London-Amsterdam Thurs 11th September, and parking near Three Bridges station, so aiming to catch 03.40 Three Bridges-St Pancras, and have notice looking at Real time Trains, that at this time of morning in last week, there been regular cancellations at this time of morning, reason planning error. So is the service reliable or should i aim for 02.40 Three Bridges?. Rather be too early than get tight for time or even miss the Eurostar.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

galwhv69

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2020
Messages
258
Location
Putney, London
I'd definitely suggest allowing an extra hour or 2. Unfortunately the overnight TL services are not very reliable due to crew shortages (that's what the "Planning Error" reason on RTT is) and are often replaced by emergency rail replacement buses which take longer
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,836
I'd definitely suggest allowing an extra hour or 2. Unfortunately the overnight TL services are not very reliable due to crew shortages (that's what the "Planning Error" reason on RTT is) and are often replaced by emergency rail replacement buses which take longer

That said they are normally know about at least a few hours in advance so cancellations should show up in journey planners by the evening of the night before, even if they're not yet in RTT.
 

75D

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2021
Messages
12
Location
Horsham
I used Thameslink last year coming out of London the last 3 trains heading south to Brighton were all cancelled we had to get an uber to Gatwick. This year on the last trains out of London Bridge we managed to get the 2315 southbound to Brighton, all the ones after that were cancelled. I know these trains are in the opposite direction but its not very good. I think the Thameslink late night and early morning schedules are more of a wish list than a timetable. I live in Horsham and Thameslink services are regularly cancelled from here as well so I should check in advance
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,114
have got 3 hour drive from Devon to three Bridges, so will aim get to Three Bridges about 1am in case there are cancellations, as cant afford miss Eurostar in the morning, and rather be early St Pancras and hang around than be in panic. I will keep eye on cancellations., so can react accordingly if know enough time in advance.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,941
I am catching the 06.16 London-Amsterdam Thurs 11th September, and parking near Three Bridges station, so aiming to catch 03.40 Three Bridges-St Pancras, and have notice looking at Real time Trains, that at this time of morning in last week, there been regular cancellations at this time of morning, reason planning error. So is the service reliable or should i aim for 02.40 Three Bridges?. Rather be too early than get tight for time or even miss the Eurostar.

The one after the 0340, the 0414, still arrives St P an hour before your Amsterdam departure. Notwithstanding the Eurostar recommended check in times, that is still loads of time.

In your position, I would definitely be aiming for the 0340, and not the one before.
 

Chriso

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2006
Messages
526
There are normally 1 or 2 cancellations overnight but as previously mentioned these are normally updated on planners pretty quick so I would keep an eye on these while travelling down
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top