• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Osama bin Laden killed trainspotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2005
Messages
3,212
Location
Midlands
WARNING: It's one of 'those' articles, worse still written by a so-called enthusiast. Which fits in with my theory is the reason enthusiasts get so much stick is because they write crap like this:

Note that he did not enthuse about the Class 365. The utter boringness of modern rolling stock is like bromide in the spotter's Thermos. Not only have steam locos disappeared, but so have locomotives per se. In 1958 there were more than 21,000 on Britain's railways; today there are 2,000 and, instead of being called The Flying Scotsman, they are called things such as Good Morning with Richard and Judy. Instead of locomotive-hauled trains we have the multiple units, which are functional - they are worm-like in that they still move when cut in half - but about as aerodynamically exciting as wardrobes. The decline of the locomotives is the main reason why Ian Allan Publishing stopped bringing out its ABC guides 15 years ago.

At King's Cross, as the Class 365 drew away, to the indifference of bystanders, I put it to Burrell and Rea that excessive security might compound the other factors to kill off their hobby entirely. While they were willing to consider any number of gloomy possibilities, they were more bothered by public abuse.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...way_we_live/article4288147.ece?Submitted=true

Yep, Britain the country that gave the world the industrial revolution, democracy and engineering brilliance now talking all this down, and promoting the maximum amount of ****, social dysfunction, knife carrying and media wannabes. But hey, long as that's cool. Still it'll keep Daily Mail sales up if nothing else. Can you say sheep?

Well thanks to that 'enthusiast' for telling everyone about all the young people on railuk, how the NRM is the most visited museum outside London, the new breed of computer games, Hornby sales at an all time high. Talk anything to do with railways a bit more down why don't you. If people are not interested, it's because of articles like this, not Bin Laden.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PR

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2008
Messages
8
I have travelled by air quite a bit lately.

Photographing airside, while walking across the tarmac or through the terminal glass is commonplace, even on mobiles, which are meant to be turned off outside the building.

Last Friday at Gatwick, two tourists, stopped at the end of the airbridge at Gatwick and took two flash photos on a digital camera of the airbridge / crew area, cockpit door and two cabin crew standing feet in front, who retained all the decorm of the red coated royal guards and did not even blink so as to spoil their pictures.

Tourist types regualrly take photos all over London mainline terminals, often with flash and it only seems to be rail enthusiasts get hassled.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,788
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Correctamondo, but I've also seen pepole have mobile phones confiscated from them at Manchester Airport Security, because they took a photo of the building work going on...

This wasn't even airside, but part of it contained a new part of the secure landside sections.

The better time was when somone had baught a disposable camera, took a photo inside the security scanning area and it was taken off them, smashed on the floor, the film taken out and the rest given back to them. With a recipt of course...
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,693
I don't think its a bad article at all.
I wonder if there are more 'railway enthusiasts' these days, who take a keen interest and enjoy travelling by train (like me) and fewer actual 'spotters'.
 

JoshW1992

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2006
Messages
1,202
Location
Warwickshire
I quite liked that article, but trouble is, most people these days only got out and 'spot' diesels and electrics, which is a shame, considering steam is much more exciting.
In regards to photography, I have been stopped a fair few times, which I think is really bad, considering I am only 15.
What harm are we causing...? They expect us to be extra eyes and ears when on the station, and we cant do tha if we are getting constantly harrased by station staff.
 

Metroland

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2005
Messages
3,212
Location
Midlands
I reckon 10% of enthusiasts are spotters
10% are bashers
20% take photos seriously

and the other 60% are just content to do other stuff, including the odd trip, modelling, playing computer games, or read the odd mag, buy the odd book.
 

JoshW1992

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2006
Messages
1,202
Location
Warwickshire
Sounds about right to me.. I'm sort of in the middle.. I take photographs seriously, i do 'informal spotting' (dont like to be seen!) and a bit of bashing. I do modelling, computers and mags...
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
Metroland said:
I reckon 10% of enthusiasts are spotters
10% are bashers
20% take photos seriously

and the other 60% are just content to do other stuff, including the odd trip, modelling, playing computer games, or read the odd mag, buy the odd book.

ekr123 said:
Sounds about right to me.. I'm sort of in the middle.. I take photographs seriously, i do 'informal spotting' (dont like to be seen!) and a bit of bashing. I do modelling, computers and mags...

Correction Metroland. 59% are just content to do other stuff, including the odd trip, modelling, playing computer games, or read the odd mag, buy the odd book, whilst the other 1% are annoying b*****ds who don't fit into any categories ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top