• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How or why did you develop an interest in railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymroglan

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2011
Messages
189
We had quite a collection of train drivers in my family: Dad, both grandads and two uncles! No doubt that this influenced me a lot! I do remember in particular being given a couple of 7” records of Johnny Morris reading some of Rev Awdry’s stories and there’s no doubt those records led to reading the books and to an increased interest in trains. Then dad bought me a basic 00 layout with the old 1960s dmu and a circle of track!
Sadly, dad died when I was 11 (he was only 43) and ever since, I have felt somehow closer to him when I’m near a train. It’s a happy feeling because I have long since learned to be grateful for having such an amazing father. So I get a warm feeling inside when I’m on a train.
We lived in North West Wales, but on our last family holiday, we went to the Channel Islands, catching the Sealink ferry from Weymouth. I remember dad‘s excitement on travelling from Waterloo to Weymouth which was a new line for him. That line is now my nearest railway, I travel on it all the time and it continues to remind me of lovely dad. It’s weird being 22 years older than he was when he died….
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barnsley

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2010
Messages
331
Location
Barnsley
Perhaps a slightly different question.

For those who aren’t sure, which aspect of the railways maintains your interest?
Signalling, the few remaining loco-hauled trains and HSTs, track maps and my desire to travel over every line in Great Britain
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,244
Location
UK
First real memory is of standing on a footbridge at Brentford (Brook Road) in the sixties watching an Eastbound freight (Feltham to ??? perhaps) blast its way underneath me. No idea what type of loco it was, in the here and now thinking may be 8F or WD but who knows, but I say that only because I am (now) assuming it may have turned left at Kew, ie Midland bound ?
 

Spamcan81

Established Member
Joined
12 Sep 2011
Messages
1,265
Location
Bedfordshire
Rail trips on family holidays to Sussex. Watching trains on the ECML when my Dad took the food waste from our chippy to a pig farm next to the line. Then in 1964 I found that locos had numbers and you could get a book with the numbers in. Well and truly hooked.
 

Devonian

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2019
Messages
219
Location
Totnes
Having had nothing but a passing interest in the novelty of travelling by train - which we did only twice in my first decade on this planet - I was assigned a tent on a school trip to France with a chap who was routinely mocked as a 'trainspotter' (to the extent that one of his spotting books had been cremated over a Bunsen burner by the science master). He wouldn't shut up about railways for the whole week, and on our afternoon off we had to take a trip to the gare SNCF. It turned out that it wasn't as dull as I assumed, and I ended up doing a school project on British Rail at rather interesting times just as the spectre of privatisation was beginning to loom.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I hope that the described book-burning was done by the master in reaction to the lad's being absorbed, in class, in the spotting book instead of paying attention to the lesson; rather than a case of master's joining the obnoxious kids in gratuitous persecution of the "weirdo" !
 
Joined
15 May 2023
Messages
83
Location
Minster
It all started as a little boy fascinated with trains. Both my local steel mills had their own railways, one used to run right in front of our house.

Used to sneak over there with all mum's pennies and bring them back rather enlarged!
 

Devonian

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2019
Messages
219
Location
Totnes
I hope that the described book-burning was done by the master in reaction to the lad's being absorbed, in class, in the spotting book instead of paying attention to the lesson; rather than a case of master's joining the obnoxious kids in gratuitous persecution of the "weirdo" !
Alas, I fear that both were a factor... the book had to be brought in specifically for the cremation after a test had been failed if I recall correctly.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,835
Location
Clydebank
Perhaps a slightly different question.

For those who aren’t sure, which aspect of the railways maintains your interest?
The main one for me now is classic diesel and electric locos, namely those of the Pilot Scheme and the various prototypes. In particular, the Class 89, the Claytons, the NBL Type 2s, Falcon, Kestrel, 10000/10001 and the Co-Bos. While not BR-operated, the oft-forgotten Sulzer-powered mainline diesel prototype the LNER trialed in 1933/34 (14 years before 10000 rolled out of Derby Works) is also a fascinating story in it's own right.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
While not BR-operated, the oft-forgotten Sulzer-powered mainline diesel prototype the LNER trialed in 1933/34 (14 years before 10000 rolled out of Derby Works) is also a fascinating story in it's own right.

I don’t know much about this. Is there enough information to start a thread about it @Strathclyder? It sounds interesting.
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,244
Location
UK
The main one for me now is classic diesel and electric locos, namely those of the Pilot Scheme and the various prototypes.
Ditto, likewise. But also certain other types, many of non BR manufacture, and I include here (BR's) class 14's. Was in the wrong place/time to see them in their brief BR careers, but got to know them very well in their later careers. I know my view may not go down too well with those who would only have them run (today) in BR colours, but I feel they gave greater service (length of time wise) later on, and so I applaud the owner/operators of 'NCB 38', or D9513 as it was for a brief period, for their choice of livery/identity in the here and now.
 

ChrisC

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2018
Messages
2,264
Location
Nottinghamshire
Railways were a very big part of my life as a young child. From when I was born in 1956 until the age of 13 we lived in a row of 6 cottages right next to a railway. The address was Great Northern Cottages. My dad was a driver on the railway and these cottages at that time were for railway workers to rent. The cottages were on a country lane, some distance from any other houses, and all of our neighbours were retired railway workers. The old man next door was a retired signalman and I can remember before I went to school he taught me to tell the time. Except for relatives, most of the people who visited our house were my dads friends who he worked with on the railway. The gardens to these cottages were right at the side of the railway and I had a swing to play on right next to a the signal box. I saw an old photograph of the signal box recently, taken in the early 1960’s, and there in the photo was my old swing. The photo was not very clear but there people just about visible in the garden, probably my mum and dad with me as a young child.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,652
Location
The West Country

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
The main one for me now is classic diesel and electric locos, namely those of the Pilot Scheme and the various prototypes. In particular, the Class 89, the Claytons, the NBL Type 2s, Falcon, Kestrel, 10000/10001 and the Co-Bos. While not BR-operated, the oft-forgotten Sulzer-powered mainline diesel prototype the LNER trialed in 1933/34 (14 years before 10000 rolled out of Derby Works) is also a fascinating story in it's own right.

What were Falcon and Kestrel? I don't recall locos with those names.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
According to my parents, even when I was in a pushchair I was always turning round to look at trains, so I guess I've been interested since even before I would have known what a train was!



What were Falcon and Kestrel? I don't recall locos with those names.

Prototype diesel locomotives; rather impressive ones - but they remained one-offs.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
What were Falcon and Kestrel? I don't recall locos with those names.

Kestrel in particular was a fantastic piece of engineering - striking exterior containing a 4000hp Sulzer engine however it was too heavy and did not find favour in the UK, being exported to Russia after only 4 years since new. Long since scrapped, sadly.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
According to my parents, even when I was in a pushchair I was always turning round to look at trains, so I guess I've been interested since even before I would have known what a train was!





Prototype diesel locomotives; rather impressive ones - but they remained one-offs.

Ah ok thanks, so "Avocet" kept the one-off bird theme going.

As an aside, I always thought Falcon and Kestrel, along with other birds of prey, would make good loco names, before I knew they'd been used.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Ah ok thanks, so "Avocet" kept the one-off bird theme going.

As an aside, I always thought Falcon and Kestrel, along with other birds of prey, would make good loco names, before I knew they'd been used.

They weren't all named after birds - of course Lion was another prototype of the same era, as well as DP2.
 

richa2002

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,298
I always loved that unique 'electric' noise and smell of Euston when the trains were locomotive-hauled.
Love this bit. My imagination was captured in exactly the same way by the 86s & 87s on WCML expresses.
 

E27007

Member
Joined
25 May 2018
Messages
1,042
Born in the mid 1950s, "spotting" was a universal pastime for schoolboys, we had an active railway society at school, highest membership of the many societies, almost 100 members, and several teachers who were enthusiasts, railway society membership was said to be 1 in 6 pupils of an all-boys school
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,835
Location
Clydebank
I don’t know much about this. Is there enough information to start a thread about it @Strathclyder? It sounds interesting.
Heres some info on a LNER diesel with an Armstrong/Sulzer engine,could this be it?
Yep, that's the one. Derby Sulzers (naturally lol) also has a section on it in the page detailing Armstrong Whitworth-built diesels with Sulzer prime movers, with several excellent images complimenting the text, including one of the Sulzer engine being lowered into the locomotive body.


(It's the second section from the top of the linked page)

Ditto, likewise. But also certain other types, many of non BR manufacture, and I include here (BR's) class 14's. Was in the wrong place/time to see them in their brief BR careers, but got to know them very well in their later careers. I know my view may not go down too well with those who would only have them run (today) in BR colours, but I feel they gave greater service (length of time wise) later on, and so I applaud the owner/operators of 'NCB 38', or D9513 as it was for a brief period, for their choice of livery/identity in the here and now.
Oh most certainly. The story of the 14s is a fascinating one, very much a case of 'right loco, wrong time' at least as far as having a long, storied BR career was concerned. But as you say, it was their second industrial careers where they more than proved their metal and dispelled any notion that acute mechanical shortcomings were the only reason BR binned them off. Am also glad that they've been reappraised to the degree they have in the preservation era, the highpoint of which was the Class 14 50th Anniversary Gala at the ELR in July 2014.

What were Falcon and Kestrel? I don't recall locos with those names.
Both were prototype diesels as noted above. Falcon resembled a 47 externally, but was internally had more in common with a Western in terms of the engines (2 Maybach MD655s). Kestrel was, like DP2, one the greatest 'what if...' stories in British diesel locomotive history. So much potential, but proved to be far too heavy even with modified bogies, which helped preciptate her sale to the Soviet Union after less than 5 years. Long since passed away to the great diesel depot in the sky.

Falcon
ca3590e25f11b3ec42a26b34b5265491.jpg

Kestrel
7307840318_6743ce2402_c.jpg
 
Last edited:

Halwynd

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2021
Messages
568
Location
North West
Love this bit. My imagination was captured in exactly the same way by the 86s & 87s on WCML expresses.

I'm glad I'm not alone! I'm interested in most things 'railway' but the sight, sounds and travelling at high-speed behind electric loco's was always my favourite.

I remember travelling in a relief train Carlisle to Preston non-stop one very cold evening in the late 80s. The train was formed of an 81 with a short rake of Mk1 compartment stock, so it was into the front coach, lightbulbs unscrewed (always replaced before arrival at destination) and a spectacular pyrotechnical show was enjoyed on a very lively run all the way to Preston.

I used to love spotting at Euston back in the 80s. All movements were heralded by the banging sound of the electro-pneumatic points slamming over.

Oh for a time machine to be transported back... very happy days.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,562
Location
Surrey
Ah, the buzz of the electrics! For me, some of the romance sadly died with the passing of steam heating.
 

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,212
Location
WCML N
I remember travelling in a relief train Carlisle to Preston non-stop one very cold evening in the late 80s. The train was formed of an 81 with a short rake of Mk1 compartment stock, so it was into the front coach, lightbulbs unscrewed (always replaced before arrival at destination) and a spectacular pyrotechnical show was enjoyed on a very lively run all the way to Preston.
I'm glad I wasn't the only person that unscrewed the bulbs and pulled the corridor blinds down for a full blackout compartment experience to enjoy the spectacular panto displays of the early electrics! I used to think 83s were particularly sparky (not a scientific assessment!) And Carstairs to Preston was always the liveliest bit of line.
The ability of the arcing to light up a remarkable amount of the surrounding countryside always amazed me, although it can't have been very efficient and must have worn out the pantographs!
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
I'm glad I'm not alone! I'm interested in most things 'railway' but the sight, sounds and travelling at high-speed behind electric loco's was always my favourite.
For me 86s and 87s, amongst others, represented the romance of long-distance rail travel to far-flung destinations. The world is a smaller place now of course, but in the mid-80s the far north of England and Scotland seemed a world away.

I was rarely hauled by electrics during the 80s, living down south, but did see them at Stafford on multiple occasions in the mid-80s during trips up there and did get a few haulages between Birmingham and Stafford. (I also got a few in the early 90s as well from Euston but for a few years my interest in inter-city rail waned before rekindling during the early Virgin years).
 

Springs Branch

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2013
Messages
1,683
Location
Where my keyboard has no £ key
My interest had a sad but serendipitous start . . .

In the very early 1970s, my grandmother died at a relatively young age and was buried in Wigan Cemetery, located just on the other side of the WCML to Springs Branch depot.

For the first year or so after the funeral, my grandad paid regular visits to her graveside. As well as being a dedicated husband, he had also been a lifelong cyclist and was keen to induct his grandson into the cycling 'Cause'. Since I'd acquired a new bike as a birthday present and was just about old enough to manage the ride, he encouraged me to go along with him on his cemetery visits.

I was happy to do this, especially in the summer school holidays, but the delights of cemetery visits very quickly waned for a late-primary school age lad. So, while my grandad spent his half-hour or so by the graveside, I waited outside at the Cemetery Road overbridge watching the trains go by.

Initially this was just to fill in the time, but these visits soon started to become more and more interesting for me. On the bike ride there, I would anticipate what trains might be seen today. Sometimes you would see nothing at all; other times there might be six or more trains passing in less than thirty minutes.

When there were trains about, there was an eclectic and unpredictable mixture. At one end of the spectrum were clanking, squealing loose-coupled coal trains hauled by a Class 24 or 25 diesel, 2-car DMUs pottering to and fro on the route to Lime St and a procession of light engines and Class 08 shunters going to and from Springs Branch TMD.

At the less mundane end were 12 or 13-coach Inter City expresses, often double-headed by nearly new Class 50s, or Motorail and parcels trains, Freightliners, trainloads of new cars on unenclosed Cartic wagons, heavy lumbering oil trains and old-style mixed freight trains running between yards such as Carlisle, Willesden or Severn Tunnel Junction (although I didn't know any of these destinations at the time). Always interesting and quite often something new would come along which you hadn't seen before.

This was all before electrification of that part of the WCML and there was lots of steam era infrastructure still around. So, in addition to the main line trains there were background sounds of levers crashing and bells tinging in the nearby Springs Branch No.2 signal box, and groups of shunters 'working' at Ince Moss Sidings who seemed to spend most of their shifts raucously playing cards inside the shunters' hut, with a Class 08 idling away outside.

It wasn't long before I started to visit on my own, independently to my grandad's cemetery visits, and to seek out other railway viewing spots in the vicinity.

One day I met a boy, a year or two older than me, who I recognised from school. He introduced me to the concept of collecting loco numbers, so I got into that - my dad provided a sturdy, increasingly grubby notebook for use 'in the field', with numbers later transposed to red underlinings in a second-hand Combined Volume which was kept safely at home.

The final nudge which converted me from a sunny day, school holiday pastime to year-round obsession was the time I was up close to a very oily and work-worn, green liveried, split-headcode Class 40 (still an EE Type 4 at that time). This was stationary for an extended period right beneath the Taylors Lane overbridge on which I was standing - whistling away, emanating gravitas, character and power (at least to a youngster).

Since then, I've found evidence the loco may have been D344 (later 40 144) and the reason it was lingering there for so long, hindering access to the diesel depot, may have been because it had derailed. See this picture: https://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo.php?id=5264

Unlike many other posters here, it was several more years before I made my first significant journey actually on a main-line train, except for occasional family outings by local DMU from Wigan to Southport or Manchester Victoria.
 
Last edited:

32475

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
815
Location
Sandwich
I'm glad I'm not alone! I'm interested in most things 'railway' but the sight, sounds and travelling at high-speed behind electric loco's was always my favourite.

I remember travelling in a relief train Carlisle to Preston non-stop one very cold evening in the late 80s. The train was formed of an 81 with a short rake of Mk1 compartment stock, so it was into the front coach, lightbulbs unscrewed (always replaced before arrival at destination) and a spectacular pyrotechnical show was enjoyed on a very lively run all the way to Preston.



Oh for a time machine to be transported back... very happy days.
You’ve hit the nail on the head there GB47711. Train travel was a much more immersive experience years ago than it is now. The sights, smells and sounds we experienced then were much greater than nowadays where sitting in a train is something of a cocooned and sanitised experience.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,688
Location
Seaford
Grew-up in a house backing onto the District Line and (behind it) the LT&S, in suburban east London.

The BR EMUs were differentiated by me, as a young child, as ‘podged out’ and ‘podged in’. Otherwise known as classes 305/308, and 302.

This was also an interesting era for District Line rolling stock, with the new D78s running alongside both aluminium and red CO/CP stock for a year or so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top