• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How often driver need to make public announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
Sometimes I can go a whole day without making any.
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
I think I last made an announcement in 2010. It's not my job to make them as I work Guarded trains.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Best driver's announcements I heard during my career:

"Someone send thar trolley dolly to gerrus a brew"
"Myyyyyytholmroyyyyyyd", in a strong Cardiff accent (fairly helpful, if indecipherable - I was out doing tickets).
"Err.. Hello. Guard to the front please. Now. Could be a foxtrot india romeo echo." :o
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
Best driver's announcements I heard during my career:

Best one I heard about.

Driver makes a 'cab to cab' to the Guard.

Driver : Can you grab me a newspaper on your way through.
Guard : Sure, no problem, which one do you want ?
Driver : Anything with tits in.

Driver was on the PA. I still find it amusing to this day. (wasn't me)
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Driver was on the PA. I still find it amusing to this day. (wasn't me)

If it's a 142/4 150/3/5/6/8 chances are, the regular fault of the ageing PA buttons - crosswiring with the Cab to Cab circuit was a regular one, with often humorous results.... one where the handset button was stuck in, a flatulent minder driver with his 'rather aggrieved' trainee, and the MD sat in first class. You couldn't write it. :P
 

Trico382

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2016
Messages
71
Best one I heard about.

Driver makes a 'cab to cab' to the Guard.

Driver : Can you grab me a newspaper on your way through.
Guard : Sure, no problem, which one do you want ?
Driver : Anything with tits in.

Driver was on the PA. I still find it amusing to this day. (wasn't me)

That is BRILLIANT!
 

TeaTrain

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2014
Messages
449
I wasn't expecting a good laugh when entering this thread but thanks all the same!
 
Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
4,609
Driving DOO trains, there are no hard and fast rules and quite a bit of discretion.

It’s good practice to make them at key stations, “last opportunity to change for station X, Y, Z”. People no longer listen to the automatic announcements because there are so many of them, but tend to listen to a human voice which breaks the monotony.

Other than that, advising passengers as to delays/out of course delays as far as possible, when safe and appropriate to do so. Certainly if I was held at a red for more than a couple of minutes, I’d make an announcement.
 

Bromley boy

Established Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
4,609
There are some very hard and fast rules when driving DOO. There are a few strict caveats that apply.

Not the way I was taught <D:D.

The closest thing to a rule was not to make announcements if running on cautionary aspects, approaching buffer stops etc. Although even here some latitude to use discretion applies (eg you’ll never be entering a terminal station on a green, but can make an announcement when appropriate).

My manager ideally likes to see announcements:
- beginning of trip;
- at key junctions;
- possibly approaching terminal although this depends, not if advancing red to red before the buffers.

The general approach is make announcements where safe and appropriate. It always comes second to driving.
 
Last edited:

axlecounter

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2016
Messages
403
Location
Switzerland
Not the way I was taught <D:D.

The closest thing to a rule was not to make announcements if running on cautionary aspects, approaching buffer stops etc. Although even here some latitude to use discretion applies (eg you’ll never be entering a terminal station on a green, but can make an announcement when appropriate).

My manager ideally likes to see announcements:
- beginning of trip;
- at key junctions;
- possibly approaching terminal although this depends, not if advancing red to red before the buffers.

The general approach is make announcements where safe and appropriate. It always comes second to driving.

So you have to do announcements even though there are automatic announcements? o_O
 

Bromley boy

Established Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
4,609
So you have to do announcements even though there are automatic announcements? o_O

Yes. The theory behind this being that there are now so many automated announcements that they are subconciously tuned out as background noise. Making more manual announcements as a solution to the problem of too many automatic announcements seems curious, but there is a logic to it. A human voice over the tannoy makes people take notice.

As evidenced by the fact a manual announcement (“this train is now fast to X”) is guaranteed to get a few people jumping off, even though the calling pattern has been visually displayed and automatically orally recited at every station call up to that point in the journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top