• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many are there of each class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

150222

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2011
Messages
1,002
Is there a definitive list anywhere of which UK classes there are and how many of each class are there? Any help appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
Wiki has a "number built" on each class type on each page, wiki I know, but good starting point.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Two.
Standard and Second. I meant First and Standard, of course!

Third disappeared in (I think) the 1950's and was consolidated with Second which subsequently became known as 'Standard'. This was consistent with widespread socail reforms of the post-war years.

If you're interested in rolling stock (most of which falls within classification numbers), then I can't help, and suggest that you re-post your enquiry in the "Traction & Rolling Stock" sub-forum where people seem to know about these things. I don't.
 
Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
DaveNewcastle stole what I was going to say :( ;)

I would have recommended, as much as I dislike the site, Wikipedia too, it gives number built / number in service and allocation details for each class.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Do Platform 5 still produce Motive Power Pocket Books?
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
Two.
Standard and Second.
Third disappeared in (I think) the 1950's and was consolidated with Second which subsequently became known as 'Standard'. This was consistent with widespread socail reforms of the post-war years.
Erm... That would be Standard and First?!
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
A bit off topic:

Wasn't 'Standard' only introduced when InterCity started?

Nope, much later. It started around the time of sectorisation in the mid 80s, BR had been branding their express services as InterCity since the late 60/early 70s.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top