• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long does Southern take to process a BACs delay repay payment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
How long does a payment from Southern via BACs for delay repay really take to show in your bank account once they have emailed a decision? I received an email at 22:29 on 09 October 2016 which said: Your claim has been approved and a credit for £[amount] will be applied to your Bank Account via a BACS payment within 14 days."

To date, 15/10/2016 this is not showing on my online statement. However, I know the email says 14 day but in reality, given it has been approved and with the advancements of the speed of banking payments, how can it honestly take so long.

The subject line of the email said, after my case reference, " Payment queued for processing"... I am wondering what this means in reality too.

I do hope this is not going to result in another GTR Customer Service mess up whereby they say they have sent the payment and they have not, or they place the funds in the wrong account. I wondered what experienced others had have.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
BACS transactions are normally instantaneous. It will depend on when your case is actioned.

Leave it the stated period of time (14 days) before worrying.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Many organisations only make payments on one or two days a week. In my experience while a 'faster payments' payment is instantaneous a BACS payment usually takes 3 working days although in my experience it will usually reach its destination in two working days.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
If they have specifically used the BACS system the turn around in that is actually 3 days. The remitter submits the payment in day 1, banks exchange data on day 2, and simultaneously debit and credit the remitter and beneficiary accounts in day 3.

Many large companies are still using BACS for these kinds of payments rather than Faster Payments, because BACS payments can be batched up more efficiently than Faster Payments which almost always would have to be input individually.

(Faster Payments are indeed much faster, with almost all completed within 2 hours.)
 

Jerrymouse

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2016
Messages
10
How long does a payment from Southern via BACs for delay repay really take to show in your bank account once they have emailed a decision? I received an email at 22:29 on 09 October 2016 which said: Your claim has been approved and a credit for £[amount] will be applied to your Bank Account via a BACS payment within 14 days."

To date, 15/10/2016 this is not showing on my online statement. However, I know the email says 14 day but in reality, given it has been approved and with the advancements of the speed of banking payments, how can it honestly take so long.

The subject line of the email said, after my case reference, " Payment queued for processing"... I am wondering what this means in reality too.

I do hope this is not going to result in another GTR Customer Service mess up whereby they say they have sent the payment and they have not, or they place the funds in the wrong account. I wondered what experienced others had have.

Hi Gray1404, how long did the repayment via BACs take in the end, I received the same notification last week and it's my first submission so curious. Thanks so much.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
It has today (18 October) shown up on my bank statement. So it look from getting the confirmation on 09 October to 18 October (9 days) to get to my bank account.

You should get yours in the next couple of days then! :) And it shows on the statement as Govia Thameslink Railway SN
 

Jerrymouse

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2016
Messages
10
It has today (18 October) shown up on my bank statement. So it look from getting the confirmation on 09 October to 18 October (9 days) to get to my bank account.

You should get yours in the next couple of days then! :) And it shows on the statement as Govia Thameslink Railway SN

Top banana for responding so soon, much appreciated !
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
It has today (18 October) shown up on my bank statement. So it look from getting the confirmation on 09 October to 18 October (9 days) to get to my bank account.

You should get yours in the next couple of days then! :) And it shows on the statement as Govia Thameslink Railway SN

Are you saying that it has appeared in the first 59 minutes of today (18th) or was it actually there on the 17th (Monday)? I'm guessing the latter, so 8 days.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Are you saying that it has appeared in the first 59 minutes of today (18th) or was it actually there on the 17th (Monday)? I'm guessing the latter, so 8 days.

If the beneficiary bank processed their data file promptly there's no reason to think it wouldn't show in the first few minutes of the day. Processing files like this early gives maximum time for the bank to overcome any technical issues before the payments are 'technically late'.
 

Wookiee

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
221
How long did it take the OP to receive the email confirming receipt of the claim? I submitted a claim on the new Southern webpage yesterday morning and haven't received an email acknowledgement yet...
 

bubieyehyeh

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
380
My acknowledgement email for a claim last week took nearly 24 hours after I submitted the claim.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
How long did it take the OP to receive the email confirming receipt of the claim? I submitted a claim on the new Southern webpage yesterday morning and haven't received an email acknowledgement yet...

Submitted 4 October

Confirmation received 7 October

Decisions received 9 October

Money into bank 18 October
 
Last edited:

Jerrymouse

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2016
Messages
10
How long did it take the OP to receive the email confirming receipt of the claim? I submitted a claim on the new Southern webpage yesterday morning and haven't received an email acknowledgement yet...

I submitted three claims and heard nothing for days so thought I must have made an error and submitted again.

Turns out confirmation can take up up to 72 hours according to southern tweet when I asked.

I submitted my claims on the Tuesday lunchtime and got confirmation Friday lunchtime

Now been waiting 11 days for another previous delay repay refund after receiving the email saying my bacs was queued for processing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I tweeted southern rail to ask why a BACS that takes 3-5 days takes Southern over 11 days. Their response was that Southern was doing a "massive pay run tonight" so Monday 24th Oct

No explanation of why it takes so long and not sure if it will now take a further 3-5 days BACS processing time as only "queued for payment" previously.

I'll update when payment hits my account in case anyone looks at this forum for same info
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
They probably do them in batches and only run them at set intervals.
 

bubieyehyeh

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
380
I just had a delay repay paid by BACS.

Claimed on 13 Oct.
Acknowledged by email on 14 Oct
Agreed by email on 18th Oct.
Received by BACS on 28th Oct.
 

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
Bacs payments take three working day (not two or instantaneous). Bacs payments are usually now for corporates and financial institutions to create.

The delay won’t be to the payment per se, it’ll be in the TOC creating the payment - the ‘speed of banking’ isn’t the problem here. It’s common for companies to only submit a Bacs file once a week. This and faffing about with internal payment approvals will be the delay.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top