• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How is fare penalty recorded in bank statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katieliu

New Member
Joined
20 Jan 2014
Messages
3
Hi guys, I am in a quite silly situation and would really appreciate if you could help.

More than 1 year ago I was caught at London Bridge railway station for not carrying a valid ticket (I forgot to renew my weekly ticket). The ticket conductor (who stood at the barrier) charged 20 pounds into my debit card. I don't remember exactly how she charged it, but I did tell her my current account didn't have enough money at that time, and she said that was fine. I remember checking bank statement and finding out that the money was actually charged several weeks later. I haven't received any further notice about this since then.

Currently, my employer requires me to disclose whether I have ever been convicted and suddenly I'm worried whether I have actually paid that fare or not. It happened long ago so I don't keep the fare notice anymore. I tried to look the fare up in my bank statement but there are so many 20 pound items.

In your experience, does this situation sound like I have paid the fare? If I never receive a court summon, does that mean I've never been convicted? Exactly how will the fare be called in our bank statements? (eg: South Eastern CD xxxx?). I really want to find it out to set my mind at peace.

Sorry if this sounds too silly. I am totally clueless about UK laws :cry:

Thank you very much :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,546
Location
Yorkshire
If I never receive a court summon, does that mean I've never been convicted?
Yes.

Unless you have a concern that your post may have been intercepted or there may be an issue with a change of address?

If no such concerns exist, then it sounds like the fare was paid and Southeastern have therefore not needed to pursue you for payment.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
You were never charged with any offence in the first place.

You were asked to pay a penalty fare which is for an honest mistake, you paid the penalty fare which is the end of the matter.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Penalty Fares are not convictions. If you gave your correct name and address and heard nothing since then it's fair to say there is nothing to disclose.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Did he take your card details on a notepad? If so will explain why it took several weeks to show up, as the transaction would be processed when he submits his report.
 

katieliu

New Member
Joined
20 Jan 2014
Messages
3
Richw, my memory is very vague now. She took my card, did something with it then returned it to me. I told her I wasn't sure if there was enough cash but she said that was ok.

As I remember several weeks later the transaction showed up with a strange name. The problem is, I can't find it now. Which makes me wonder if I really paid for it.


Do you know who will take the charge? South Eastern or HM Revenue or anyone else?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
A Penalty Fare is not a fine or conviction of any sort. Relax.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Do you know who will take the charge? South Eastern or HM Revenue or anyone else?
They payment could only have been taken by the Railway Company (South Eastern or whatever train Company it was). It has nothing to do with HMRC or any other governmental body - its' just a commercial transaction. As bb21 rightly advises, it was not a fine or conviction, nothing like it, in any way.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
A penalty fare payment at a station or on a train will/should appear with the merchant name being the name of the train company which took the payment.

As all above have mentioned, it is not a criminal issue and if paid in full at the time of issue or within 21 days the matter is closed.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,775
Location
Yorkshire
A penalty fare payment at a station or on a train will/should appear with the merchant name being the name of the train company which took the payment.

As all above have mentioned, it is not a criminal issue and if paid in full at the time of issue or within 21 days the matter is closed.

And if the payment had not gone through I'd have expected you to have heard something by now - unless you immediately moved without leaving a forwarding address.
 

katieliu

New Member
Joined
20 Jan 2014
Messages
3
Well, as I lived there for over 1 year after that without hearing of anything else, I suppose it should be ok. I feel reassured now. Thanks a lot for all your advice!
 
Joined
14 Aug 2012
Messages
1,070
Location
Stratford
Did he take your card details on a notepad? If so will explain why it took several weeks to show up, as the transaction would be processed when he submits his report.

Hand held terminals are usually a few days later than those at the counter and machines at stations

You can always buy a ticket from them with no money in your account, well £1 say, there has been times I have had to flush out a ticket guy on the platform to buy a ticket after being declined at the desk, works a treat every time

Not sure they are allowed to write card numbers down nowadays
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Not sure they are allowed to write card numbers down nowadays

Presume it's discouraged but still allowed - you still see the boxes in order forms in newspapers, catalogues etc and last July on Gerald (the loco-hauled Arriva Trains Wales service) I had to have my card number written down (well, imprinted) as there was no signal for the chip and PIN reader which was just a standard retail type as opposed to the normal railway type!
 
Joined
14 Aug 2012
Messages
1,070
Location
Stratford
Presume it's discouraged but still allowed - you still see the boxes in order forms in newspapers, catalogues etc and last July on Gerald (the loco-hauled Arriva Trains Wales service) I had to have my card number written down (well, imprinted) as there was no signal for the chip and PIN reader which was just a standard retail type as opposed to the normal railway type!

not seen one of them old imprint machines in years
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
We got told ages ago that we could no longer manually process cards on the buffets. There is an option to manually enter details into the Avantex, but We are supposed to ring the bank for authorisation & check the pin reader or other ID first.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,653
Location
Isle of Man
Makes sense. I paid on EC last year with one of the imprint machines, it took them about eight weeks to process the payment, but the buffet operator wanted to see ID before doing it. Makes sense with the fraud implications- the retailer won't get paid if there is an objection to the payment.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
Merchants are not allowed to ask for ID when accepting a credit card payment, unless local laws mandate it. What happens in practice, of course, may differ.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
I believe a merchant does get paid when an imprint device is used. IIRC a merchant has to be able to show that the card was present at the time of a transaction. Chip and Pin does this as does an imprint of the card.

Swiping a card does not prove that a card was present as it is possible to copy the mag stripe. Where I work I can remember a few years back that if a card was swiped we also had to take an imprint to show the card was present

The cost to a merchant of processing a manual voucher is huge so you rarely see them thesedays.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Merchants are not allowed to ask for ID when accepting a credit card payment, unless local laws mandate it. What happens in practice, of course, may differ.

Are they not? How come? :-?:-?
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
I'm pretty sure its one of Visa/Mastercard's many rules, designed to make it as quick and easy to use cards as possible
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
The same way you're not allowed to have a 'fee' for using cards, i.e. 'no payments under £5 by card' or '50p extra charge for card'... but lots of places do?

Pretty much, how many members of the public know the ins and outs of the merchant contract though?
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
Its within the merchant contract we're not permitted to request additional identification.
Correct.
The same way you're not allowed to have a 'fee' for using cards, i.e. 'no payments under £5 by card' or '50p extra charge for card'... but lots of places do?
Correct 25 years ago, but there was a law passed in the UK in the early 90s banning acquirers from having terms in their contracts with merchants prohibiting the charging of surcharges, and striking any such clause out of merchant contracts in existence at the time. I think some contracts may have a prohibition on merchants setting minimum transaction sizes, but there are ways and means of sidestepping this.
Pretty much, how many members of the public know the ins and outs of the merchant contract though?
Very few. I have a merchant account so it's my business to know. I can get into trouble for not "warmly accepting" an American Express card. My acquirer does not allow me to accept transactions under £1 or over a certain four-digit sum. I also have a much lower limit for swiped or key-entered transactions.
 

jimbo99

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2010
Messages
133
Correct 25 years ago, but there was a law passed in the UK in the early 90s banning acquirers from having terms in their contracts with merchants prohibiting the charging of surcharges, and striking any such clause out of merchant contracts in existence at the time.

Not quite. The law still allows terms in the merchant agreement that stops a merchant charging cardholders more than what acceptance costs them.

Separately, more recently, the law was changed prohibiting merchants charging more than what card acceptance costs them.

So retailers are now typically prevented from over-surcharging two ways: 1) by the merchant agreement 2) the law.

But if they want to pass on their costs, the law stops the merchant agreement from prohibiting this.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
We seem to be taking someone's thread wayy off topic here, but now that we've started, let me seek some clarity . . .
Separately, more recently, the law was changed prohibiting merchants charging more than what card acceptance costs them.

So retailers are now typically prevented from over-surcharging two ways: 1) by the merchant agreement 2) the law.

But if they want to pass on their costs, the law stops the merchant agreement from prohibiting this.
What are we referring to by the phrase "the law" ?
Could this be some consumer legislation?
Perhaps relevant to Contract Law? And perhaps not?
Could you possibly be thinking of the "Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012"?

We really should be told!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top