• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How "industry friendly" is this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
It didn't take me long to notice how on-message this forum is - sticking up for TOCs, the industry, HS2, and now the record-breaking salary for the head of Network Rail.

Is this forum ever critical of the rail industry and the London-elite who run it?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Not necessarily the case, I think my avatar says it all.

I still face those who regularly accuse me of slating (whichever) their favourite train company is, but I am pleased to say I distrust all TOCs, ATOCs, DfTs, PTEs, Quangos, HMRIs etc in fair and equal measures :P

I tend to find some people challenging everything other people say. It's sort of a Tourette's for some people... they just can't help telling others that their view is wrong and they are right - this often leads to them contradicting themselves too.

Don't lose faith. This forum is a broad church and there are those on both sides of the fence and some very wise minds here.
 
Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Strangely, we also have people who accuse the forum of being anti-railway and anti-staff! So perhaps the real answer is that the forum is somewhere in the middle...
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
You only read what you want to read... Or in this case, whatever is the opposite of what you want. Hell are we all for the 'elite clique'. They're likely the ones who continue to rocket my fares whilst claiming, year-upon-year, that the additional revenue will go to infrastructure, hardly any of which will benefit me directly, and that no extra lining will coat the pockets of the shareholders. Whilst at the same time Network Rail is being ordered to reduce its operating costs across the board. Elitism my backside.

Of course, there'll always be those who think we're all employed by the London agencies to post of behalf of them - if only a job was that easy...

For pete's sake, just look back at your track record here... Are you proud of what you have posted. Do you continue to stand by ALL the fantastical statements you have made? I really don't know why we bother... But maybe it's because the good folk here are reasonable, they listen, they answer and inform... And most importantly, I think, we good folk are here for each other where needs be.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Strangely, we also have people who accuse the forum of being anti-railway and anti-staff! So perhaps the real answer is that the forum is somewhere in the middle...

And that is about where it should be, neutral, receptive and open to all.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
It didn't take me long to notice how on-message this forum is - sticking up for TOCs, the industry, HS2, and now the record-breaking salary for the head of Network Rail.

Is this forum ever critical of the rail industry and the London-elite who run it?

There are many threads in many different sections that are not on message and indeed do slate every item you have listed. Maybe you have missed these posts somehow?

After a few days back reading the forum there are some good discussions on the pro's and cons of the railway so I am unsure as to how you have come to the conclusion you have, but that is your opinion and one you are entitled too.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,337
Location
Bolton
Where's 455 Driver? He will soon tell you how anti-railway this forum is :p
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
The thing with any enthusiast (including staff in that, you wouldnt be here if you didnt like railways) forum is that everyone* wants the object of their passion to do well. I think we are all rooting for the railways. However different people have different ideas about what is good for the railway industry, and I think this is a good thing, providing we remain civil. The general consensus seems to be that we praise things that the industry does right and criticise what it does wrong, and that applies to every element, from government down to individual on the platform.
I see a broad church from extremely knowledgable staff and non staff to people who seem to have no idea.
tl:dnr version. I see the overall balance of the forum as pretty neutral

*excepting maybe those that come here for ticket prosecution advice
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
The flow appears to ebb and flow on a thread by thread basis, I'd say the balance is pro-railway industry, but that's to be expected.
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
It didn't take me long to notice how on-message this forum is - sticking up for TOCs, the industry, HS2, and now the record-breaking salary for the head of Network Rail.

Is this forum ever critical of the rail industry and the London-elite who run it?

For someone who readily admits that you ridicule what you believe to be ridiculous, is it any wonder that the level of debate sinks to your level when you post non facts and untruths in an attempt to get your point across?

I did note a certain irony when you posted the thread about replacement bus services from Preston <> Lancaster and commented that "the knock on effects could last a tidy while" due to that unfortunate incident, and then make the suggestions on the HS2 thread about WCML upgrades instead of HS2 that would lead to plenty of bus substitutions for weeks, months and possibly years causing untold disruption and chaos :roll:
 
Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Where's 455 Driver? He will soon tell you how anti-railway this forum is :p

I only post very occasionally on here now as I cant be bothered anymore, I still look in most days though for a laugh at all the people with all the answers. :lol:

I think the most I have posted in the last month is 3 posts in a day.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
For someone who readily admits that you ridicule what you believe to be ridiculous, is it any wonder that the level of debate sinks to your level when you post non facts and untruths in an attempt to get your point across?

I did note a certain irony when you posted the thread about replacement bus services from Preston <> Lancaster and commented that "the knock on effects could last a tidy while" due to that unfortunate incident, and then make the suggestions on the HS2 thread about WCML upgrades instead of HS2 that would lead to plenty of bus substitutions for weeks, months and possibly years causing untold disruption and chaos :roll:


Really? LOL :lol:
 

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2012
Messages
3,183
Location
Oxford
It didn't take me long to notice how on-message this forum is - sticking up for TOCs, the industry, HS2, and now the record-breaking salary for the head of Network Rail.

Is this forum ever critical of the rail industry and the London-elite who run it?

There is a considerable difference between making angry posts in self-interest and from gut instinct (a particular favourite of yours), where the facts change to suit whatever argument you're making today, and considering both sides of the picture, where you just happen to come down on one because you feel it makes legitimately better arguments. Ironically, I feel that it is you who matches the former description far better than many of the rest of us, even if you might feel it is the other way around.

The fact that you seem to think that everyone on this forum is simply a shill - saying what they have been told to say out of fear of some bogeyman 'London Elite' (whatever that is) - is patronising, self-absorbed and, quite frankly, not really worth our time. Other people have brains too, and are perfectly capable of using them. It's time you actually realised that.
 
Last edited:
Joined
29 May 2013
Messages
210
Location
Derby
It didn't take me long to notice how on-message this forum is - sticking up for TOCs, the industry, HS2, and now the record-breaking salary for the head of Network Rail.

Is this forum ever critical of the rail industry and the London-elite who run it?

There's very mixed opinions of the railway from all of us members of the forums. To suggest that the people that run the railways in the UK are the 'London-elite' as you say is a completely wrong suggestion. The people that run the railways are the what may be considered the 'elite' at the DfT but also the drivers, conductors, engineers, cleaners, finance directors, dispatchers, RPIs and everyone else who has a job that is affiliated with the railways.

In response to your question though, as I say there are many members with many mixed opinions but remember that this is a forum mostly aimed at people who have an interest in the railways* so these are often people who will stick up for them.

*excluding those who come for fares and disputes advice.
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,337
Location
Bolton
Never fear, your fame on this forum is "carved in stone"....:D

Quite right. I can't do a London trip without looking at all the SWT drivers and wondering if one of them is him :D Was stood next to one last week for Vauxhall - Waterloo in the ex-507 vehicle who looked likely as thoroughly miserable :lol:
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Quite right. I can't do a London trip without looking at all the SWT drivers and wondering if one of them is him :D Was stood next to one last week for Vauxhall - Waterloo in the ex-507 vehicle who looked likely as thoroughly miserable :lol:

Maybe the driver was miserable because he had to stand near you! :lol:

Oh and calling me miserable when you dont even know me would be classed as a personal attack on this forum!
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,337
Location
Bolton
I didn't say I thought he was you ;)

And if saying one of your colleagues finds me repulsive isn't a personal attack I don't know what is! :lol:
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sidorczuk
Never fear, your fame on this forum is "carved in stone"....
Quite right. I can't do a London trip without looking at all the SWT drivers and wondering if one of them is him :D Was stood next to one last week for Vauxhall - Waterloo in the ex-507 vehicle who looked likely as thoroughly miserable :lol:

So how is your post not inferring its me? :roll:
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
The post cannot infer (nor can the writer), the reader infers.

To me the post implies that starmill's impression of what you would look like, based on your posts presumably, is that you could look like a person who is 'thoroughly miserable'. I don't think it goes as far as to say you are thoroughly miserable, though I can see how you could infer that.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
The post cannot infer (nor can the writer), the reader infers.

To me the post implies that starmill's impression of what you would look like, based on your posts presumably, is that you could look like a person who is 'thoroughly miserable'. I don't think it goes as far as to say you are thoroughly miserable, though I can see how you could infer that.

Ah so it isnt what he wrote but the way I read it!

Thank you oh great one, I am forever in your debt! :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is looking miserable an insult now?

I dont know, look in a mirror and let me know what you think!
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,337
Location
Bolton
I implied nothing.

If you inferred from what I said that I thought you were miserable... I can only suggest: guilty conscience?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
This is getting tedious.

No more handbags please.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top