There has to be a justifiable reason from a Management perspective too to keep the fixed pattern for so long. My personal thoughts on our LDR are unprintable but the goal posts have changed over the years. Our changes have mostly come about because our terms and conditions have changed, and that Management want something from us. LDR, lean over and push back.
Sundays - Only on Late shift - This was complained about, denied, eventually changed
Fixed rest day pattern - Told it wasn't possible, got one, changed again
Mid week shift swap - Told it wasn't allowed, shift swap on a saturday, now random shift swapping mid week.
52/26 line link banned - Got one, then changed again
I've been told by LDR so much crap over the years that now I stop listening. I plan purely between roster changed (Dec/May) and everything else I take with a pinch of salt.
Personally I would work a 4/4 pattern. Got told that it wasn't ever going to be possible because of fixed rest days/shift swapping mid week and inbalance of early/late/weekends.
We are about to have a major change in December Getting told by LDR that the loss of work isn't confirmed, then an email going out to a specific group telling them its been confirmed shows how dishonest the LDR can be. I don't think they are stooges, just weak.
What bugs me the most is that you see other TOC and the way they run their rosters (examples above) that things are possible and that it can work. AS I said in a different thread. The railway needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into modern working practices.
The 3 week rotating rest day pattern only works when Sundays are outside the week. When Sundays are inside its impossible to balance it. Thats why Thameslink have a fixed rotating rest day pattern and Southeastern have rest days all over the shop.
With regards to LDR and the union in general, its only as strong as its members. Nobody wants to put their head above the parapet and take on the reps job at a depot where the membership is weak and transient. When the reps are going into meetings representing a workforce that is either desperate to leave or so hellbent on working rest days (and without even the balls or the common sense to take their full PNB, walking, or turnaround time when running late), or not even in the union at all, then what do the reps have to bargain with? Nothing. Management know that. Hence the continuing downward spiral and depot revolving door.