• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How does a change of route excess affect the validity period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,287
Location
Connah's Quay
How does a change of route excess affect the validity period?

Say, I buy a Chester-Stockport anytime day return with route "via Altrincham" for £14.60 and pay the appropriate amount to excess the outward part to route "any permitted".

There is no "any permitted" anytime day return, so this would use the cost of an off peak return (£18.60). Based on what some people have said, this would cost £2 (COT 13.2 seems to say something else, but I don't know how to resolve this).

Having done this, I would still have two questions:

When will the outward part expire, assuming that I don't use the return part before this happens?
When will the return part {which I haven't changed) expire?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
This process won't change the expiry date of the ticket, as the outbound half of an off-peak return is for use on day of issue (the usual corner cases around necessary overnight breaks of journey notwithstanding) and if you have not excessed the return half of the ticket, its expiry date remains unchanged.
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,287
Location
Connah's Quay
Thanks. I thought that was how it worked. I thought I should check, though, with there being so much about how change of route excess tickets work which isn't on any of the industry web sites.

I wouldn't really want to be in a situation where I was still using the outward part of a return after the return part has expired, of course.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top