• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do verify how many lives I have left to become a train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknockable

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2018
Messages
86
Hi everyone.

I don’t think I have any lives left if I’m honest as I’ve not passed the initial stages with a few TOCs within the last 6 years. Got to various stages with each TOC but mainly failed on the situational judgement tests if I remember correctly.

How can I be sure to check if I have any lives remaining?

Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
The ‘lives’ are just related to the psychometric tests that you would be invited to do in-person at a training centre or hotel etc, but NOT the tests sent to you online. The online tests are just used to further sift the number of applicants in the process. If you have been and sat the psychometric tests, and failed to meet the national standard twice, then these are your 2 lives gone.

I hope this makes sense
 

CCnottoolate

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2023
Messages
21
Location
London
you ask a very good question. I am also wondering if there's a central place where these results are recorded and how we can access this information.
 

Unicorn7

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2023
Messages
14
Location
Bedfordshire
I was wondering the same thing if anyone can help. On another forum, people have mentioned that if you have failed the VSE twice you can no longer apply as it counts towards your lives, but it’s an online test. There’s many conflicting answers and a place than can just confirm would be great!
 

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
Generally you won't be able to apply to companies that use the extra tests to sift before the opc psychometrics if you've failed with them twice but its a bit of a grey area that one.
 

DJP78

On Moderation
Joined
26 Nov 2019
Messages
194
Location
Bristol
The national psychometric tests that count towards your 2 lives are always sat at a testing centre and will be invigilated by test administrators. No one is allowed to sit any of these tests at home, remotely.

Any test sent to you online is independent of the national driver psychometric tests and will not impact your 2 lives.

Instead, as mentioned in above replies, these extra tests are a precursor and will be designed to sift applicants to reduce numbers, TOC specific. From what I’ve read in other forum threads and seen locally in other TOC’s, it’s increasingly the norm
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Just to add, all results are on a national database but it is not available to the public (FOI request may be available but unsure)
 

Spincity

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2019
Messages
191
Location
London
The national psychometric tests that count towards your 2 lives are always sat at a testing centre and will be invigilated by test administrators. No one is allowed to sit any of these tests at home, remotely.

Any test sent to you online is independent of the national driver psychometric tests and will not impact your 2 lives.

Instead, as mentioned in above replies, these extra tests are a precursor and will be designed to sift applicants to reduce numbers, TOC specific. From what I’ve read in other forum threads and seen locally in other TOC’s, it’s increasingly the norm
The VSE (Avanti etc) is sat initially at home, this is part of their process. If fail thats a life gone.
 

Spincity

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2019
Messages
191
Location
London
It's a VSE life that has gone, you still have 2 lives for the paper and computer testing
It’s a life gone for TOCs that use it as part of their process, so 1 life lost for that TOC 1 remaining. Those that do t use it 2 lives remain.
 

CCnottoolate

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2023
Messages
21
Location
London
Thank you all for your input, it is clear now but I don't understand why we can't access the national database as we have
sat the tests so we should be able to access our own results.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Thank you all for your input, it is clear now but I don't understand why we can't access the national database as we have
sat the tests so we should be able to access our own results.
There are many national databases that are not public access, you don't really need access to it as you will know whether you have passed a test or not shortly after (or same day in computer testing).
 

Unicorn7

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2023
Messages
14
Location
Bedfordshire
Thank you all. Frustrating as I had an email from a FOC last year saying I was unsuccessful for the trainee driver role and couldn’t apply for that role for 6 months, but could apply for any other role. Then after 6 months, I can re-apply as everything resets. But it doesn’t seem that was correct.
 

Spincity

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2019
Messages
191
Location
London
Thank you all. Frustrating as I had an email from a FOC last year saying I was unsuccessful for the trainee driver role and couldn’t apply for that role for 6 months, but could apply for any other role. Then after 6 months, I can re-apply as everything resets. But it doesn’t seem that was correct.
uncertain what doesn’t seem correct. You were unsuccessful for the driver role assessment, you are required to wait 6 months before resitting the process.
 

Unicorn7

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2023
Messages
14
Location
Bedfordshire
uncertain what doesn’t seem correct. You were unsuccessful for the driver role assessment, you are required to wait 6 months before resitting the process.
Sorry. I also said that everything resets after 6 months (what they said). Led me to thinking that if it resets, it’s not one of the 2 lives and then you can never apply to an enhanced TOC/FOC after 2 lives are up.
 

DJP78

On Moderation
Joined
26 Nov 2019
Messages
194
Location
Bristol
The VSE (Avanti etc) is sat initially at home, this is part of their process. If fail thats a life

Sorry. I also said that everything resets after 6 months (what they said). Led me to thinking that if it resets, it’s not one of the 2 lives and then you can never apply to an enhanced TOC/FOC after 2 lives are up.
Yeah. This is the problem with the TOC’s own application process tests. Some TOC’s will afford you 2 lives to undertake their own tests, other TOC’s allow you to have a crack at their tests for each application. 6 months waiting is about the norm for most TOC’s before you can reapply.

The main thing is, if it’s an online test sat at home, this won’t have cost you a life towards the main psychometric tests you would sit at a OPC testing centre.
 

Unicorn7

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2023
Messages
14
Location
Bedfordshire
Yeah. This is the problem with the TOC’s own application process tests. Some TOC’s will afford you 2 lives to undertake their own tests, other TOC’s allow you to have a crack at their tests for each application. 6 months waiting is about the norm for most TOC’s before you can reapply.

The main thing is, if it’s an online test sat at home, this won’t have cost you a life towards the main psychometric tests you would sit at a OPC testing centre.
This is helpful. Thank you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top