Weary Walker
Member
- Joined
- 12 May 2011
- Messages
- 72
Maybe they didn't know, just had a lucky guess and there are another 20-30 who guessed wrong bringing up the rear.
Does it really matter if there are 20-30 people ahead of you heading for a train with hundreds of seats?
And please don’t sprint or run on a busy railway stations anyway. We’ve had a recent thread about it.
Do you reserve a seat in advance?
I've just had a look on RTT for you, as you said your trip is normally on Thursday (today). The 18:30 Avanti from Euston to Glasgow is currently booked to depart from platform 14. The set planned to be used is 390124. This set is currently forming the 11:56 from Glasgow to Euston, due into platform 14 of Euston at 17:38 and (at time of writing) 4 minutes late at Preston.It isn't the fact they are in front of me, no issue at all with that, it's more my curiosity of how they knew which platform to queue at, given they have obviously been standing for a few minutes at the correct platform gate, while morons like like are stood gawping at the departure boards and then sprinting.
I have given up on choosing reserved seats a long time ago. I find it much better to simply run for the Unreserved coach and select a seat myself.
That is really interesting, thanks.I've just had a look on RTT for you, as you said your trip is normally on Thursday (today). The 18:30 Avanti from Euston to Glasgow is currently booked to depart from platform 14. The set planned to be used is 390124. This set is currently forming the 11:56 from Glasgow to Euston, due into platform 14 of Euston at 17:38 and (at time of writing) 4 minutes late at Preston.
So when you get to Euston later you just need to look at the arrivals board to see which platform the 17:38 arrival from Glasgow is at. Unless anything changes last minute, it should be 14.
And indeed the set was swapped to operate 9G34 17:10 Euston-Birmingham New Street. The set to form 1S90 (now 390011) is not due to arrive at Euston until 17:38.Exactly so.
1S90 (17:30 to Glasgow) shows to be operated by 390005 today, which is currently operating 9M54 10:52 Edinburgh-Euston via Birmingham (as @Peter0124 said above), due to arrive into Euston at 16:40, so that’s a good indication. Things go wrong and sets get swapped. Seeing the headcode against a platform on Open Train Times or Traksy nearer the time is a much more reliable indication.
Even using the headcode can be an issue, as the Signaller may not have been told of the swap if there's a last minute swap.Using set numbers is surely a bit of a gamble if there is disruption. Whereas the headcode should absolutely identify the train. I use OTT both to find the headcode, and then to see what platform that headcode appears in. At that point, you can fairly confidently join the queue. Okay, I may not be at the head of the queue, but I am usually near it.
Using set numbers is surely a bit of a gamble if there is disruption. Whereas the headcode should absolutely identify the train. I use OTT both to find the headcode, and then to see what platform that headcode appears in. At that point, you can fairly confidently join the queue. Okay, I may not be at the head of the queue, but I am usually near it.
Clips available on YouTubeIn the words of gameshow 'Banzai!'... "Place bets now!"
Have they got some insiders on the train or the station control systemI travel on either the 17:30 or 18:30 Avanti out of Euston, to Carlisle, usually on a Wednesday or Thursday, depending on what days I’m in the office.
The train seems to depart from a random platform number each time, but often 1-3 or 11-15, so could be either end of the station.
I watch the departure board like a hawk, and the split second it shows the platform, I sprint for the platform. Usually one of the first to leave the concourse area.
But without fail, every single time, I’ll sprint to the platform gates and there will already be a crowd of 20-30 people stood there in a queue in front of me, waiting to have tickets checked.
I have tried looking at apps such as NexTrain or national rail, to see if the platform info comes up faster than the departure board, but it doesn’t.
I have no idea how these people know which platform it will be, before I do.
It’s a mystery…
Any suggestions?!
Even using the headcode can be an issue, as the Signaller may not have been told of the swap if there's a last minute swap.
And it isn't unheard of for the driver to be on the wrong train when they haven't been told as well!
Even using the headcode can be an issue, as the Signaller may not have been told of the swap if there's a last minute swap.
And it isn't unheard of for the driver to be on the wrong train when they haven't been told as well!
Yep, even if using OTT for the headcode to find the platform, always verify the train. At Euston, there are now displays on the platforms themselves. There are also displays on the trains themselves as a last resort, but it is not uncommon for these to be blank, or still showing the inbound service.I was happy to rely on RTT for platforms until arriving at Waterloo by the Underground one day I checked RTT as soon as I had a signal.
Now always wait for or use main indicator.
At stations with two platforms or less, there may also be signs that state where the train will be heading.
I've been able to just walk onto the platform before if arriving well in advance without confrontationRTT as others have said is not completely reliable but generally is.
A tip for Euston - if you find the train on RTT and go to the ramp - sometimes you will find the train sitting in the platform. If the gateline is open and unmanned, even if you have a ticket, don't bother trying to wait on the platform as Avanti staff don't like it, they will just ask you to leave, close the barrier then let you back through when the platform is announced.
I use Real Time trains and can usually work it out by looking at the inbound train. I assume due to staffing I find that if a train has come from Manchester it is usually the same train going back.
The unit rotations are based on operational convenience and platforming more than anything else. We don't have a mirror-image Takt timetable (where an xx20 arrival would form an xx40 departure) and Euston doesn't have enough platforms for every Manchester arrival to form a Manchester departure and so on.I understand that the operator will try to make sure that a Manchester-based crew works back to Manchester, but from something I read in (I think) Modern Railways I thought 390s had to visit all their main depots over something like a 7- or 10-day cycle, because different depots do different aspects of scheduled maintenance? If that's correct, then it must be less likely that a train arriving at Euston will go back to the place it has just come from.
(This should perhaps be a separate thread.)
Seems to me one thing this thread demonstrates is: If rail companies, in their rush to forget that their purpose is actually to serve passengers, deliberately withhold useful information from those passengers (for example, which platform your train is going from at Euston) then frustrated passengers start doing whatever they can to find out the information anyway. And some of those passengers will go to extraordinary lengths to get that information. Lesson: Why not just give the passengers the information they need as soon as it's available!
Or if they are regular travellers on this specific departure surely they'll gravitate to the platform it most often leaves from and on the odd occasion it turns out to be leaving from a different platform they will relocate without necessarily viewing such a relocation as being the biggest trauma of their day?Maybe they didn't know, just had a lucky guess and there are another 20-30 who guessed wrong bringing up the rear.
To be fair, it would cause more problems if booked platforms were posted, lots of people gather there, and then the train actually comes into a different platform. Especially in busy London area stations where you could have large numbers of people moving around in awkward ways.
Yeah, and to be clear, I'm not suggesting that platforms should be advertised before the station staff know for sure which platform it'll be. But we all know that at Euston, that information is routinely withheld even after it's known for sure which platform the train is at.
