• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do they know how much compensation on Advance 1st Class ticket when no 1st now available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,987
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I understand that when a train for which you have bought a 1st Class ticket is substituted with a train that has no 1st Class provision, you are entitled to the difference in price.

However if you bought an Advance 1st Class ticket some while ago, how do they know how much the equivalent Standard Class ticket would have cost at the time of purchase?

I’m currently looking at a journey tomorrow on TfW, where if I bought a ticket today for the same service, the price of a Standard Class ticket is dearer than the 1st Class ticket I hold for that same journey.

Obviously hoping it doesn’t happen, but I see that today there was such a substitution, so I’m not confident it won’t happen tomorrow.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,333
Location
Glasgow
I understand that when a train for which you have bought a 1st Class ticket is substituted with a train that has no 1st Class provision, you are entitled to the difference in price.

However if you bought an Advance 1st Class ticket some while ago, how do they know how much the equivalent Standard Class ticket would have cost at the time of purchase?

I’m currently looking at a journey tomorrow on TfW, where if I bought a ticket today for the same service, the price of a Standard Class ticket is dearer than the 1st Class ticket I hold for that same journey.

Obviously hoping it doesn’t happen, but I see that today there was such a substitution, so I’m not confident it won’t happen tomorrow.
Each Advance tier has a specific code associated to it, so I assume they match the relevant First Class tier to the equivalent Standard Class one.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,666
Location
LBK
I understand that when a train for which you have bought a 1st Class ticket is substituted with a train that has no 1st Class provision, you are entitled to the difference in price.

However if you bought an Advance 1st Class ticket some while ago, how do they know how much the equivalent Standard Class ticket would have cost at the time of purchase?

I’m currently looking at a journey tomorrow on TfW, where if I bought a ticket today for the same service, the price of a Standard Class ticket is dearer than the 1st Class ticket I hold for that same journey.

Obviously hoping it doesn’t happen, but I see that today there was such a substitution, so I’m not confident it won’t happen tomorrow.
What was available at the time of purchase isn't relevant. They have equivalently coded first and standard advance tiers they use for comparison purposes.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,810
Location
UK
On TfW services it's fairly simple - their first class fares (including Advances) are all 50% more than the equivalent standard class fare. So you'll get that uplift back - it's equivalent to getting a 1/3 "discount".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top