• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do I find gauge clearances for routes and class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2008
Messages
2,069
Location
UK
Good Afternoon

I’m sure some years ago. There were maps, which showed which routes each class of train was route cleared for. I’ve been trying to find out which routes class, 165 and 166s Are cleared for yet unfortunately any information I can find is quite a few years out of date! Is there an up-to-date list or map of routes class 165 and 166 units are cleared for?
Thanks in advance. Your assistance is much appreciated!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,360
Good Afternoon

I’m sure some years ago. There were maps, which showed which routes each class of train was route cleared for. I’ve been trying to find out which routes class, 165 and 166s Are cleared for yet unfortunately any information I can find is quite a few years out of date! Is there an up-to-date list or map of routes class 165 and 166 units are cleared for?
Thanks in advance. Your assistance is much appreciated!
The information is in the Sectional Appendices. Pdf copies can be downloaded from the Network Rail website.


Each route is listed in a table with a column for each type of rolling stock to show if it is cleared or not and what the restrictions are. I dont know if this is somewhere converted into map form.
 

Boodiggy

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2012
Messages
642
For lines not listed in the Section Appendix a Summary of Compatibility (SoC) can be created. This is how 165 / 166 travel on the WCML to Wolverton.
 

TheWalrus

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2008
Messages
2,069
Location
UK
The information is in the Sectional Appendices. Pdf copies can be downloaded from the Network Rail website.


Each route is listed in a table with a column for each type of rolling stock to show if it is cleared or not and what the restrictions are. I dont know if this is somewhere converted into map form.
Thank you this is very helpful. Basically theyre not cleared anywhere they dont already go! I’m surprised that they’re not clear to go west of Plymouth either.
 

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2014
Messages
3,271
The DfT wouldn’t pay for any surveys or actual works west of Plymouth although the locations that need attention are known because I had that survey done, as a favour from NR.

Turbos are actually very easy to clear, the stepboards and yaw dampers being the two items that cause the most trouble. You also have to watch the body throw on very tight curves.
 

TheWalrus

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2008
Messages
2,069
Location
UK
The DfT wouldn’t pay for any surveys or actual works west of Plymouth although the locations that need attention are known because I had that survey done, as a favour from NR.

Turbos are actually very easy to clear, the stepboards and yaw dampers being the two items that cause the most trouble. You also have to watch the body throw on very tight curves.
So realistically they could probably operate most routes in the UK subject to clearance? Just the clearance work hasnt been done because it hasnt needed to be done at this point but it could largely be a paperwork exercise?
I’m guessing Buxton and Cumbrian Coast would probably be a no go area…

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The information is in the Sectional Appendices. Pdf copies can be downloaded from the Network Rail website.


Each route is listed in a table with a column for each type of rolling stock to show if it is cleared or not and what the restrictions are. I dont know if this is somewhere converted into map form.
Another question looking at what’s cleared for Glasgow SW routes but I have no idea which sections of track are for this route? Can anyone advise either what sections these are or what classes are cleared where?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top