• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How cool is this? Netherlands introduces train station commuter 'slide'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

valenta

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,179
Location
The Toon
A novel idea. I have no doubt that it will be surrounded by a constant flow of teenagers being nuisances.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,634
Location
LBK
Surely this is only for slippery customers.

OK, I'll get my coat!
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Smethwickian:769530 said:
Oh, YES!

Birmingham New Street redevelopment partners please note, it's not too late to put some of these in!

Yes please! Stop the tossers going super slow
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
I tried to get one put in at Transpennine's head office, but they had slight concerns about the pit of crocodiles attached to my plans.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
We need them instead of the escalators. Slide down, lift up. :lol:

Which station is it with the 200+ step spiral staircase? Helter skelter anyone? With a lift in the middle? (one of those Lifty escalator hybrids we had on the lift enthusiasts thread)
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
From what I can gather, the station in question is in Utrecht, which is in a province of the same name. Ergo it isn't in Holland, it's in the Netherlands. It's similar to Manchester Piccadilly getting one and the title being 'Yorkshire station gets slide'...
 

Heinz57

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
649
Location
Ilkeston
It is a good idea. It will speed things up. It'll be useful at rush hour.

Incidently a couple of companies (Google to name one) have introduced slides to get from floor to floor. And its increased productivity.

A lecturer from my Uni also put the idea forward to the powers that be about introducing slides at one of the campuses to get from floor to floor. Just when they started to laugh the idea off. He pulled out all this reasearch material about how slides has introduced productivity and how it could help the students.
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
Is this an April the 1st story?

Besides, I for one would be tempted to go down head first. We used to have a giant slide in Graveley recreation ground, but they removed it for some reason.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Which station is it with the 200+ step spiral staircase? Helter skelter anyone? With a lift in the middle? (one of those Lifty escalator hybrids we had on the lift enthusiasts thread)

They can start by introducing them at Russell Square or Goodge Street :lol:
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
A novel idea. I have no doubt that it will be surrounded by a constant flow of teenagers being nuisances.

Then again it wouldnt be used by old fat adults who think they're far to dignified for it. So teenagers would only use it, if thats the case I'm all for it.
 

valenta

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,179
Location
The Toon
Then again it wouldnt be used by old fat adults who think they're far to dignified for it. So teenagers would only use it, if thats the case I'm all for it.

Maybe an idea would be restricting the "slide" so it can only be used by teenagers. However I would have thought that it was just a good excuse for vandalism.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
A drawback of slides is that they are only really good for going in one direction (ie. downwards). Of course at stations in time people will most likely want to go the other way.
 

valenta

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,179
Location
The Toon
A drawback of slides is that they are only really good for going in one direction (ie. downwards). Of course at stations in time people will most likely want to go the other way.

I'm sure you would get kids trying to climb up it, would'nt be long before an accident.
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
Maybe an idea would be restricting the "slide" so it can only be used by teenagers. However I would have thought that it was just a good excuse for vandalism.

No you dont want any restrictions, just make the slide more difficult for people to get into, so only able bodied agile people can get into it. You mentined vandalism, good luck to the chav whos trying to graffiti whilst zooming down the slide.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm sure you would get kids trying to climb up it, would'nt be long before an accident.

Are well the kids trying to climb up it can learn the hard way, when someone wearing doctor martins boots one in the face.
 

valenta

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,179
Location
The Toon
You mentined vandalism, good luck to the chav whos trying to graffiti whilst zooming down the slide.

I was more reffering to vandalism on the outside, such as teenagers kicking dents in it. I still think that this idea is asking for an accident (sorry to be synical!)
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I would love to see something like this incorporated in the UK, but it would only be ruined by idiots, intent on showing their friends how hilarious they think they are by sticking things on the slides and lying flat in the middle blocking everyone off.
 

valenta

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,179
Location
The Toon
I would love to see something like this incorporated in the UK, but it would only be ruined by idiots, intent on showing their friends how hilarious they think they are by sticking things on the slides and lying flat in the middle blocking everyone off.

Yes, that's what I think.
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
I would love to see something like this incorporated in the UK, but it would only be ruined by idiots, intent on showing their friends how hilarious they think they are by sticking things on the slides and lying flat in the middle blocking everyone off.

Good Point, the best thing to do would be too weld nails on the outside of it to stop people kicking it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top