• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How come 59201 has a bell on the front?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,581
If I recall it was a GM tradition when delivering locomotives to a new customer to fit a commerative bell on the front, stemming back to steam locomotives in railroad days. 59001 was similarly fitted though I believe it was removed after delivery.

I'm not sure if 59101 and 66001 received the same treatment. I've also no recollection of any other 66 customers having the commerative bell fitted on their first locomotive. (Looking forward to being proven wrong!)
 

CCF23

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2008
Messages
381
Location
London
59001 was similarly fitted though I believe it was removed after delivery.

59001 still has the bell or it had it the last time i saw it at Eastleigh Works Open Day in May 2009, i too was wondering why. Maybe it's an American tradition as American loco's seem to have an association with a bell.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
I'm not sure if 59101 and 66001 received the same treatment. I've also no recollection of any other 66 customers having the commerative bell fitted on their first locomotive. (Looking forward to being proven wrong!)

They didn't.

Aside from 59001 and 59201 no other 59/66/67s have a bell.

59001 still has the bell fitted.
 

Vulcan

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
712
Location
Seaton, Devon
Its only on one end as well, which i find weird, taking the space of the centre headlight at the other end.
 

davido38

Member
Joined
2 May 2010
Messages
11
On another note regarding 59 201 RAIL Express (167 April 2010) had a image of said loco, the caption mentioned...hmm...it had its BELL END leading :shock: now me being me I saw this straight away and laughed my head off at what was really a innocent comment but maybe could have been worded a bit better!! :lol:

Heres me thinking managers never drove trains!!
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
59001 still has the bell or it had it the last time i saw it at Eastleigh Works Open Day in May 2009, i too was wondering why. Maybe it's an American tradition as American loco's seem to have an association with a bell.

When the Royal Scot travelled America & Canada on a goodwill tour in 1933 a headlamp was installed to American & Canadian requirements, the engine also
acquired a bell installed at Crewe works. from The pictorial encyclopaedia of railways 1968.
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
On another note regarding 59 201 RAIL Express (167 April 2010) had a image of said loco, the caption mentioned...hmm...it had its BELL END leading now me being me I saw this straight away and laughed my head off at what was really a innocent comment but maybe could have been worded a bit better!!

How childish and imature for you to have noticed this.......... which must make me childish and imature coz i laughed my head off to when i read it, lol :) :) :)
 

Vulcan

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
712
Location
Seaton, Devon
Yeah i remembered 59s have different headlights to 66s only today. even so, I still like symetry in these things.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top