miklcct
Established Member
This explains the need to mark intercity / fast / semi-fast / local, like the rest of Europe (particularly in Germany) so that people won't get confused about the calling pattern of trains.
A major problem for the train here is that there can be wildly different calling patterns on the same line in a short section.I'm all for train categories, but in the UK people mostly just read the calling points.
For example, between Southampton and Bournemouth it can be:
* non-stop (peak-hour trains)
* Brockenhurst only (non-peak fast trains)
* Brockenhurst, New Milton (Sunday fast trains)
* Brockenhurst, New Milton, Christchurch, Pokesdown (non-peak semi-fast)
* Redbridge, Totton, Brockenhurst, New Milton, Christchurch (17:13 from Soton)
* Totton, Brockenhurst, Sway, New Milton, Hinton Admiral, Christchurch, Pokesdown (21:25 from Soton)
* Totton, Ashurst, Brockenhurst (22:51 from Soton which transfers to 23:16 from Brockenhurst for stops after Brockenhurst)
* Totton, Ashurst, Brockenhurst, Sway, New Milton, Hinton Admiral, Christchurch, Pokesdown (stoppers)
* Totton, Ashurst, Beaulieu Road, Brockenhurst, Sway, New Milton, Hinton Admiral, Christchurch, Pokesdown (stoppers w/ Beaulieu Road)
I have already found 9 different calling patterns for such a short section of the line. If I get to Southampton Central platform 4 and see a train there showing Bournemouth / Poole / Weymouth and I want Totton / Ashurst, I will need to see the calling list scrolls through the stations and it may take some time! Fortunately SWR trains have guards so I can just ask him if the train will call.
However, not all trains have guards. For example, I arrive at West Hampstead Thameslink platform 2 (slow line to the North) and want Cricklewood, and there is a train standing at the platform. The destination is meaningless to me as Cricklewood is just the next station down the line and I literally have to stand at the platform-train interface to hear the calling announcement (calling at: ...), and enter the train if the first station is Cricklewood, and return to the platform if not.
I am not confident in entering trains without the full list of calls. In contrast, on the London Overground where there is only a single calling pattern (all trains call at all stations), I can identify if the train is the one I want by one single piece of the information - the destination shown.
How can we convey the calling pattern more efficiently? For example, in the past, the 91, 92 and 93 on the Bournemouth line meant fast, semi-fast and slow respectively, but as shown above there are at least 9 calling patterns without any logics in them, so not all of them can fit into the 91, 92 and 93 models. Also, if the train doesn't call, how can we communicate effectively that the passenger should board and change, or wait for the next train? For example, from Woking to Winchester or beyond, under some situations we should change at Basingstoke, but sometimes we should wait for the next direct train and not board the Basingstoke train.