A lot of this conversation centres around 'tempting' people out of their cars, but honestly, most regular users of XC probably don't drive anyway.
Journey times are some of the *least* competitive on the network, plus they are expensive and often overcrowded.
I'm someone who uses XC because they have to, not because I perticularly want to. I have avoided making trips to see friends/family as frequently as I'd of liked, because the whole thing typically ended up being a bit of a traumatic experience!
My friend in Bristol chooses the coach, because he can't afford to use the train due to it's price. A journey that would have taken ~3hrs takes 5-8, due to needing to change in London/Birmingham.
The thing that's so frustrating about XC, is just how cheap the issues are to resolve! Anyone with any sense will hand over spare WCML voyagers to XC to bolster capacity.
Plus, they don't have to use all the units all the time, to allow for extra capacity to be deployed on bank holidays, football matches, etc.