I travelled from Southport to Grindleford yesterday, Friday, as my anytime short return was valid without time restrictions, so I could use the 0816 from SOP and I hoped that the 0942 from Piccadilly might be less busy than the 0949 always is on Saturday. I made a 5 minute untimetabled connection at Piccadilly by walking briskly (after an anxious moment at Castlefield, where we were held to let a container train get in front of us), and found a seat on the 0942, but it was still full of people who were obviously travelling all the way to Sheffield on Northern's cheap fares. As
@Killingworth says, this is a real nuisance for those wishing to travel to/from intermediate stations who are being crowded out. The 0942 left on time but then crawled to New Mills. where it was terminated with a fault. There were by my estimate about 100 -150 people left to wait on New Mills platform for the next Sheffield train at 1116, a 2-car 195. I got a seat, amazingly but I don't know if anyone was denied boarding. Returning from Hathersage at 1603, that train was fairly busy, but filled up at each station (though it doesn't stop at Edale). I then caught the 1719 to Southport, a 2 -car 150, full to Bolton, lots got off at Westhoughton, and it was largely emptied by Burscough Bridge.