Peter Mugridge
Veteran Member
It's two days after lockdown is due to end so it might be pent up demand.
Isn't it also in the "student travel window" that has been announced today? There's quite a few universities along the East Coast Main Line...
It's two days after lockdown is due to end so it might be pent up demand.
I did a London and back on GTR today. 700/1 both ways. Train up (midday) was dead, barely ones and twos per carriage. Journey back (evening) even deader, probably barely single figures on the whole train. No revenue, no mask enforcement, no seats taped off, no threatening announcements, all refreshingly normal. London Bridge HL was quiet, but not the complete emptiness of March.
I've been in London yesterday and today. Yesterday morning the 09:32 from Stevenage to Finsbury Park was lightly loaded, even though it was the first off peak train.
The 10:08 from Finsbury Park to Moorgate was quite heavily loaded as far as Highbury & Islington with someone sat at almost every double seat.
Today the 09:47 from Stevenage to St Pancras was very quiet, normally at this time of year it would be very busy.
The 18:01 from St Pancras to Stevenage had fewer then 50 passengers on board.
I agree about London Bridge being relatively busy today. Walked through Hayes Galleria around 17:00 - lots of people sat on the floor socialising in small groups simply because they had nowhere else to go. Costa was doing a roaring trade in take aways.
Doesn't surprise me, early morning Pendolino's are completely dead, I'm almost always the only person in my carriage.I caught the 6.19am train from Stockport to London Euston yesterday. I was in the quiet coach, which was quiet in more ways than 1 as I was the only passenger there! I walked down the train shortly before Euston to save time there. I was curious to count the passengers, and there were 14 on board.
I commute to Milton Keynes Monday to Friday and Pendolinos out of Euston around 8:00 are all completely dead. I'm almost always the only person in the carriage. There are probably about 25 people max on each service.06:19 is early especially for a Saturday. I see it calls at Lichfield and Tamworth too. Maybe it picked up a few more there.
My son reported that today his trains to and from school were almost back to how they were loading before all this virus nonsense hit the planet. Definitely much busier than for the past few months.
Off peak certainly don’t seem very busy today, but the weather is awful so unless already committed I don’t suppose many people are bothering to go anywhere.
Travelled on various Transpennine trains yesterday and most were almost empty despite the TPE website saying trains full and standingI thought it would be worth creating a thread where people can say how busy their trains have been.
If anyone wants to write a lengthy trip report, this would be best in a dedicated thread, but this thread can be used for observations.
I'll start with the 1002 York to Kings Cross this morning; I counted 133 in standard on the final stretch between Stevenage and London. On arrival at KGX, I'd estimate about 24 alighted from first class, which surprised me.
Of course this train has capacity for over 600 people, so the loading is still light. On a normal summer weekday you would expect the train to have at least four times as many passengers as I counted.
Not everyone who used this train was on for the final stretch of course; many people alighted at stations such as Doncaster.
I think it's a reasonable loading under th circumstances, but clearly there is a long way to go ( if anyone had any ideas regarding how TOCs can increase patronage please see: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...tice-passengers-back-onto-the-railway.207153/ )
That and TPE journey check are annoying. The trains aren't that busy. Why start/restart doing it now? Coincidentally the first day of it was last Wednesday. Just as the national lockdown ended. Hmm.Travelled on various Transpennine trains yesterday and most were almost empty despite the TPE website saying trains full and standing
Peak traffic is still well down on normal where I live. On Wednesday I drove round some of the M60 around midday and stuck in the fast lane (although I still was only doing between 30 and 50 at that point) to avoid the Trafford Centre junctions and the inevitable last-minute lane-changers. Once over the Barton Bridge things quietened down considerably though a HGV almost sideswiped me. Entertainment of the day!I travelled on some very empty XC trains lately. No sign of any ticket check either.
On the plus side, it's been a while since I saw an XC guard telling people to move and having a go at people not wearing face coverings. There are some particularly nasty Guards about, so either I've been lucky in not seeing them, or they've been told to wind their necks in. The announcements seem to have got less threatening too.
The Northern trains I have travelled on have generally been much busier than the XC trains, but still relatively quiet.
I've not been on TPE or LNER for a while, but will be travelling on LNER next weekend so will be interesting to see if their trains are similarly empty or not.
It is depressing seeing roads so busy with cars, but trains so empty.
Yesterday I went to West Byfleet from Manchester. The early evening train from West Byfleet to London Waterloo was busy - and at 12 coaches long! The tube I boarded at Oxford Circus on the Vic line was chocca as it pulled in. What's more, the 19:20 London Euston to Manchester was fairly busy, about 3/4 full at a rough glance - and many stayed on beyond Milton Keynes.
Is this surprising going off the current trends?