• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How bad is my fare evasion penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkbaek1997

New Member
Joined
20 Jun 2015
Messages
2
I plead guilty and didn't appear to court for fare evasion.
I have been fined £180 by Hammersmith Magistrates' Court for:

'1 / Fail / refuse to hand over valid ticket not in a designated compulsory ticket area - railway bye-law'.

Would this affect my:
Uni application?
Travelling to America?
Do i need to disclose this information when travelling abroad?

Thanks for your help:)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
The only thing I can say with reasonable certainty is that it will not come up on a basic or standard DBS check. I can give you my opinion on the rest.

I understand the American application process asks if you have ever been convicted of any offence, so you would need to disclose it in my opinion.

I don't expect it will affect travel for tourism purposes to most other destinations.

As for uni, depends on what you're applying for. In all cases, disclosure is usually the better option, as failing to disclose a conviction may be treated more seriously if it is discovered.
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
846
Location
Preston
With travel to the US only crimes involving moral turpitude need to be declared. The definition is quite vague with some crimes depending on if intent is required or not such as tax evasion. If they apply the same logic to fare evasion then the byelaws being strict liability would not, while the RoRA requiring intent would.
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
I plead guilty and didn't appear to court for fare evasion.
I have been fined £180 by Hammersmith Magistrates' Court for:

'1 / Fail / refuse to hand over valid ticket not in a designated compulsory ticket area - railway bye-law'.

Would this affect my:
Uni application?
Travelling to America?
Do i need to disclose this information when travelling abroad?

Thanks for your help:)


1. No

2. No

3. No

You got a byelaw prosecution this time. It's non recordable. You don't have a criminal record.

However there is no reason that a future offence would not be dealt with under the Regulation of Railways Act. Therefore hopefully it is lesson learned.
 

tkbaek1997

New Member
Joined
20 Jun 2015
Messages
2
1. No

2. No

3. No

You got a byelaw prosecution this time. It's non recordable. You don't have a criminal record.

However there is no reason that a future offence would not be dealt with under the Regulation of Railways Act. Therefore hopefully it is lesson learned.

do i need to disclose any information if i go abroad?
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
I plead guilty and didn't appear to court for fare evasion.
I have been fined £180 by Hammersmith Magistrates' Court for:

'1 / Fail / refuse to hand over valid ticket not in a designated compulsory ticket area - railway bye-law'.

Would this affect my:
Uni application?
Travelling to America?
Do i need to disclose this information when travelling abroad?

Thanks for your help:)

Possibly your Uni application, but for the USA visa waiver the questions have been changed and it is unlikely to make any difference as a result. IMO the phrase "moral turpitude" in the old questions was too vague anyway.

As for other countries, it depends but Australia and New Zealand aren't too bothered (at least for tourists) if you only got fined and it doesn't involve drugs.
 
Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
I plead guilty and didn't appear to court for fare evasion.
I have been fined £180 by Hammersmith Magistrates' Court for:

'1 / Fail / refuse to hand over valid ticket not in a designated compulsory ticket area - railway bye-law'.

Would this affect my:
Uni application?
Travelling to America?
Do i need to disclose this information when travelling abroad?

Thanks for your help:)
If asked quite directly if you have been convicted of any criminal offence in however many months/years, you'd be lying if you said you hadn't. It probably won't come to light, but if it did somehow, then it's an integrity issue on your part and certain employers would frown upon this, as I'm sure would universities. It's best to be open and honest, and if necessary, explain the situation with a cover letter or similar so that they are aware it's not an offence on a par with something far more sinister.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top